Jerry Hofmann
Forum Replies Created
-
You bet there is! I have one in my workflow too!
I use it as a capturing station, a machine to upload with, a dandy music file server or any other backup media you want to access fast through the network, etc. Render times will be best on any Mac where the software running on it was written for it and the OS it was originally written on, so keep that in mind when installing software for it.
You can move files with portable drives from it, or even through ethernet if that could work time/wise. I use it to clone startup disks with from my other machines too.
Don’t ever waste the silicon!
Jerry
Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: https://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann
DVD:https://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup
8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17″ MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays
-
Will, might be good to read the white paper on this if you haven’t already…
https://images.apple.com/xserve/pdf/L422277A_Xserve_Guide.pdf
Jerry
Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: https://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann
DVD:https://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup
8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17″ MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays
-
If there’s a market, there’s a solution from somebody, and Apple will be supporting it just as they have in the past (not forever, but long enough)….
You REALLY want to go to a new platform? There’s a lot more headache in that than what’s on the surface. Just the fact that there are 10 FCP users for every Adobe user should give you pause. Think of the lack of employees that there will be right now. 50% of the market is FCP. 23% is Avid, and the rest is the rest… Adobe, Vegas et all.
Redundant power is an issue, but I’m thinking there will be a solution if there’s a market. Space? Well you gotta be kidding here. Side by side is possible, and is what I see when people are using towers. (heat is up and back too… probably cooler to boot.
That said, I’ve never lost a power supply in 23 years of NLE work.
I respect you, and wouldn’t want to be steering you wrong. But every indication out there is that Apple has no intention of selling FCP, and further, FCS is in the midst of the biggest change in it’s history. Give it time before you jump is what I’m saying.
Jerry
-
Ah com’on… XServes loss isn’t that big a deal is it? What’s the problem with using towers instead?
Jerry
Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: https://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann
DVD:https://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup
8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17″ MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays
-
Jerry Hofmann
November 5, 2010 at 3:28 pm in reply to: Imported AVCHD video skipping on playback in viewer/canvasSounds like dropping frames… this usually is caused by the scratch disk environment. What are you using as a scratch disk, how is it formatted, and what Mac, OS, and version of FCP are you running? Is the scratch disk a separate drive etc? which kind and how is it connected?
FWIW, it really won’t matter in the end if the delivery isn’t a tape.
Jerry
Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: https://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann
DVD:https://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup
8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17″ MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays
-
Jerry Hofmann
November 5, 2010 at 3:25 pm in reply to: flickering dissolve on nested still image sequences…OH, they flicker all the time, but you don’t see it in FCP’s Canvas because you aren’t seeing both fields for each frame unless the canvas is set to be 100% size.
I think I’d troubleshoot this by trying a progressive sequence setting and not an interlaced one.
Jerry
Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: https://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann
DVD:https://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup
8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17″ MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays
-
Sure, export each track as a self contained QT movie, then use those files for each of your cameras. Where they have no video, black will be inserted. Turn off the green visibility lights of the tracks to not export them…. leave just the one on that you’re exporting.
Jerry
Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: https://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann
DVD:https://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup
8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17″ MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays
-
Search FCP’s Manual (help menu) on “Merged Clips” or Merging clips…
This creates a new clip which appears to be a single audio video file.
OR you can export those little sequences you’ve used to sync the clips with as self contained movies. This would create new media files that may well be a bit more reliable to use than Merged clips.
Jerry
Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: https://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann
DVD:https://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup
8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17″ MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays
-
What capture card are you using to export externally with?
Jerry
Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: https://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann
DVD:https://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup
8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17″ MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays
-
Yeah, do that, and it’s good news actually that the self contained file exported OK. This does point right at something gone wonky in Compressor.
Troubleshooting is always a matter of ruling out the possibilities one at a time.
Jerry
Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: https://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann
DVD:https://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup
8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17″ MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays