Jerry Hofmann
Forum Replies Created
-
Try trashing FCP prefs, if that fails, trash the plist file… post back with results.
Your problem isn’t common. I’ve never read this happened in the past.
Jerry
Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: https://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann
DVD:https://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup
8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17″ MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays
-
Might try setting FCP’s device control to FW, but also set the option up to ignore TC breaks… It will have correct time code until the first break, and just continue on with the TC numbers past that.
OR best would be to copy the tapes and remove the breaks that way. Use the copies as source.
Also be sure that the recording on the originals was 16 bit and not 12…. camera should display this in the view finder during playback. If 12 bit, then set the audio to be 32Khz 16 bit, not 48.
Jerry
Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: https://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann
DVD:https://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup
8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17″ MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays
-
Are you just using file/send to/compressor? Wonder if trashing your plist for compressor might fix this and/or trashing prefs for FCP… It’s not a bug nor is it a bad setting you could change don’t think.
If you export a self contained movie and open that in Compressor instead, then I’ll wager it will work OK, and still allow you to work in FCP during the compression… If you export a non self contained file, it should work OK too and be pretty fast if all of the renders are complete in your source sequence.
Jerry
Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: https://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann
DVD:https://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup
8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17″ MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays
-
Maybe it’s because 24p isn’t 24fps exactly… it’s 23.98. but I think I’d just add that frame editing it in manually at the head and move along…
Jerry
Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: https://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann
DVD:https://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup
8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17″ MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays
-
I don’t have direct experience with that drive, however if they say it’s not normal, try reinstalling the drivers for the Blu-Ray drive.
Jerry
Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: https://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann
DVD:https://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup
8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17″ MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays
-
Jerry Hofmann
November 5, 2010 at 12:18 pm in reply to: Problem – Exporting 3:2 to 16:9 for youtube widescreenSet it up in FCP first… Put the original clips ( just copy and paste them into a 16:9 sequence (don’t change frame rate nor codec. Then send that sequence to compressor…
Jerry
Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: https://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann
DVD:https://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup
8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17″ MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays
-
Change the device control setting to HDV Firewire BASIC for any cameras from Canon.
Jerry
Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: https://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann
DVD:https://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup
8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17″ MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays
-
Yes, use the 16:9 Preset, but change the standard “best quality” 90 min preset to be a CBR setting and set the bit rate to be about 7mbps. This is done in the Inspector of the MPEG video settings look in the quality button’s window for these two settings – much better quality in the end. Encode times will be faster because it’s a single pass constant bit rate. Works best for movies under an hour.
Jerry
Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: https://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann
DVD:https://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup
8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17″ MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays
-
Jerry Hofmann
October 27, 2010 at 7:37 pm in reply to: Remote Voice Over Workflows using FCP – thoughts?Go with option 1. Less for the editors to do, fewer mistakes in the end I’ll bet.
After they capture all the footage, use the media manager to copy it to the drive you take back with you. Dragging and dropping media files from the desktop can result in corrupted copies, but using the media manager to copy always results in usable files.
I just don’t see any advantage to option 2… less rendering on your end of the country maybe? Just not that big a deal don’t think.
Jerry
Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: https://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann
DVD:https://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup
8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17″ MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays
-
The files are h.264 according to the Creative web site. Have you tried compressor? Might work OK there. ProRes is what you want them to end up being for sure.
Jerry
Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: https://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann
DVD:https://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup
8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17″ MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays