Forum Replies Created

Page 2211 of 2285
  • Shane Ross

    December 9, 2005 at 11:52 pm in reply to: Apple Dropping Firewire?

    Oh, and what about the MILLIONS of iPods out there? Some have USB connectors, but many, like mine, don’t. unless I buy a cable.

  • Shane Ross

    December 9, 2005 at 11:51 pm in reply to: differeence between camera tape and processed copy?

    I second that “no.”

    (Who said editing was easy?)

  • Shane Ross

    December 9, 2005 at 11:41 pm in reply to: Apple Dropping Firewire?

    They are often right…which really makes me wonder WHY WHY WHY?

    Forget the firewire drives for now…just for now. But what about ALL those DV cameras out there with firewire connections. And the ONLY way to get video off the camera is via firewire. How are people with the MacIntel computers going to work with those cameras?

    I heard they are keeping FW800 to “appease us video professionals” But really, my DSR-11…even the AJ-1200HD…has firewire 400 ports. The AJA I/O has a firewire 400 interface.

    How can people claim that firewire is dead? And how can Apple really do without it?

    (Who said editing was easy?)

  • Shane Ross

    December 9, 2005 at 8:14 am in reply to: Need help with my VTR

    What happens when you try?

    #8 External Monitor Viewing.

    Shane’s Stock Answer #8:

    A simple path is mac > firewire > camera or deck > rca cables > tv

    Then start up your camera and tv, then open fcp.

    Then go View > External video > all frames
    Video playback should be Apple firewire NTSC (If you are using an NTSC set)
    Audio playback should be Audio follows Video

    Techinially, this should send synched video to your TV

    If for some reason you can’t view your timeline on your external monitor, there are a few things to try:

    1) Make sure that the camera/deck is connected and powered on BEFORE you open FCP.

    2) In the Final Cut Pro menu select AUDIO/VIDEO Preferences and make sure your signal is being sent out thru Firewire DV.

    3) Go to the menu and select VIEW>EXTERNAL>ALL FRAMES.

    4) Click in the % box above the image and select FIT TO WINDOW.

    5) Go to VIEW->refresh A/V devices

    6) Make sure the Log & Capture window is closed

    If you want it to play in both the canvas and the external monitor you need to go to the FINAL CUT PRO menu and select AUDIO/VIDIO settings and make sure MIRROR ON DESKTOP is selected under the PLAYBACK OUTPUT section

    Shane

    (Who said editing was easy?)

  • Shane Ross

    December 9, 2005 at 7:55 am in reply to: AVID and DECKLINK hd card CONFLICT

    Avid is very very licky as to the hardware installed on the machine. It doesn’t like other cards. And the Decklink is taking charge in there, thus the conflict.

    Sounds like you are gonna need to get another computer for the Decklink and FCP.

    (Who said editing was easy?)

  • Shane Ross

    December 9, 2005 at 5:44 am in reply to: OT: Meeting people in person

    So I met Ron and Kathlyn…and got a bottle of their hot sauce. Can’t wait to try it.

    Ron looks like his picture. Kathlyn…not so much. I never do…so…

    Anyway…wrote a little about my experiences there at http://www.lfhd.net

    -shane

    (Who said editing was easy?)

  • Shane Ross

    December 9, 2005 at 5:35 am in reply to: capturing different formats in fcp5

    To work with various formats of footage in a sequence without rendering you need to capture all the footage using the same codec.

    First off, DVCAM and MiniDv is exactly the same format…DV/NTSC. The only issue is working with it in an HDV timeline. HDV and DV don’t mix, and I don’t think you can convert DV into HDV given it’s MPEG-2 compression.

    Best solution? Capture your HDV footage as DV and work in a DV timeline. DV upconverted to 1080i will look really bad…taking a 720×480 image and resizing to 1920×1080.

    If you are going to mix the two, work in a DV timeline. The cameras and decks downconvert on the fly.

    Or get a capture card and decks capture both at a different format entirely, like DVCPRO HD.

    (Who said editing was easy?)

  • Shane Ross

    December 9, 2005 at 5:21 am in reply to: Update Questions

    Use the Disk Utility to Repair Permissions. Then try updating.

    (Who said editing was easy?)

  • Shane Ross

    December 8, 2005 at 3:21 pm in reply to: OT: Meeting people in person

    I barely got there for the FCPUG meeting…but I will hit the COW booth today.

    And the 2006 NAB show will be the first I will be attending. MEET EVERYONE THERE!

    (Who said editing was easy?)

  • Shane Ross

    December 8, 2005 at 7:40 am in reply to: OT: Meeting people in person

    Play with…no. See…yeah. I will see it more in depth tomorrow…and I heard they have footage that a professional DP shot, so I have GOT to see that.

    The XLH-1 looks sweet. VERY in depth camera….so many controls you can adjust…would make a DPs head swim. And it shoots 1080i only…which isn’t a bad thing.

    But the HVX-200 shoots many many many formats. The rep claimed it shoots 81 different formats. I’ll have to see more for myself tomorrow. Plow thru the crowd.

    (Who said editing was easy?)

Page 2211 of 2285

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy