Shane Ross
Forum Replies Created
-
First off, Decklink SP is a standard def card, and you are talking High Def video here.
Second, I don’t think it is possible to capture HDV footage as DVCPRO HD. Two COMPLETELY differenct formats.
My thoughts? Avoid HDV like the plague. And the JVC most of all. Currently it is the most INCOMPATIBLE HDV formatted camera in terms of working with FCP. ONLY 720p30, and only if you are lucky. People are still reporting problems.
HDV is so highly compressed that it really isn’t a good HD camera. The HVX-200 DVCPRO HD camera by Panasonic is due out this month…but a HUGE waiting list. I’d get on that list if I were you. Mind you, it is $10,000 with 2 P2 cards, and it only captures HD to those P2 cards…20 min each.
Sorry, I am in the “HDV is evil” camp and really rally against it.
(Who said editing was easy?)
-
The P2 card IS a PCMCIA card. Unfortunately it currently does not work on a Mac. PCs, yes, but not Macs. Apple says they are working on this, and that it is firmware/driver issues. So the only option is to connect via usb 2.0 to the camera or card reader to an external firewire 800 hard drive.
You cannot edit this footage directly on your powerbooks HD. You need AT LEAST a fw800 drive. This is HD after all.
(Who said editing was easy?)
-
Shane Ross
December 7, 2005 at 7:23 am in reply to: Cannot delete autosave files left over from finished filesI’d save those along with your main project file. You don’t NEED to, but since they are the backup files, and don’t take up that much space, why not?
(Who said editing was easy?)
-
Shane Ross
December 7, 2005 at 6:02 am in reply to: Out of sync using FS-4 and FCP 5 and Quicktime 7How are they captured to the firestore? What codec?
Is the sync loss constant? can you shift the audio in the timeline and it stays in sync, or does it drift?
(Who said editing was easy?)
-
And for the first one…sorry, just need a whole lot of cutting.
Who said editing was easy or fast? It isn’t…not by a longshot.
(Who said editing was easy?)
-
I can get 2 streams of realtime DVCPRO HD…supposedly supposed to get 3, but only tried two thus far.
Recommendations:
https://store.yahoo.com/firmtek/
https://www.thedrgroup.com/DRaid.htm
https://www.macgurus.com/productpages/sata/Burly8RHS.php
https://barefeats.com/hard57.html
https://barefeats.com/hard58.html(Who said editing was easy?)
-
Oh…wait…DUH!!
This is an HD discussion. Man…I answer too many questions…
(Who said editing was easy?)
-
Sorry, but no…you can’t do uncompressed SD (nor HD) work with an iMac. Sure, you can get the AJA I/O that can capture uncompressed footage and send it down a firewire cable, but…what do you capture to? First off, all the firewire ports on the iMac are on the same bus. Second, it only has firewire 400, and for uncompressed SD work you need AT LEAST firewire 800…but most preferable an external SATA Raid or fibrechannel array. But for those you need a SATA controller card or fibrechannel card. Neither one will go into an iMac, for all you can add to an iMac is more RAM.
Sorry…you are gonna need a G5 tower and other equipment for broadcast SD work.
(Who said editing was easy?)
-
Sorry Graeme, but…YES IT WILL!
https://www.decklink.com/products/sd/
They have a PCIe Decklink Extreme….$900
(Who said editing was easy?)
-
That is what I will be doing…only after the upconvert, I will then perform the color correction and recreate any effects I did, so they are fully in the 10-bit color space.
And since I haven’t tried the process, I cannot say for sure it will work flawlessly, or what to look out for. I will be testing it VERY soon, however…so stay turned to my website.
-shane
http://www.lfhd.net