OK. It’s an older laptop but you should still be able to capture without dropped frames.
10 gigs of drive space isn’t much and C:/My Documnets is the absolute worst place to capture to.
Assuming you have a USB port on this device, buy an external drive (they’re very cheap these days, even at places like Costco) and capture to that. I do this all the time at work and have done 3 hr. captures (live events) with 0 fropped frames.
You’ll neeed to make sure that the drive is formatted NTFS (most still come formatted FAT32) to avoid the small file size limit.
Use the Windows Help file (search on NTFS) to walk you through this procedure. It’s quick and painless 🙂
After that, go into the preferences in VidCap (the capture program for Vegas) and change the location of your captures to the new drive.
Be advised that, unless you change this location, it will capture to the same location every time.
Whenever I start a new project, I create a master folder for ALL media that will be used in this project.
I set up folders inside of this master folder for captured files, music, graphics, etc.
This makes staying organized a lot easier.