Kevin Monahan
Forum Replies Created
-
Don’t use the standard text generator. Try Boris Title 3D instead. It’s in your Generators menu. Problems with Boris? Repost.
Kevin Monahan
Take My FCP Master’s Workshop!
fcpworld.com
Pres. SF Cutters -
First thing: make sure you are monitoring audio out of the dv deck or camcorder and NOT the Mac. 90% of the FCP illiterati is set up wrongly for audio. Next: Another thing is to always do an audio mixdown before output. Finally, don’t use low quality audio files, such as MP3 in the timeline. Not sure if any of those things apply to your situation, but check ’em out.
Kevin Monahan
Take My FCP Master’s Workshop!
fcpworld.com
Pres. SF Cutters -
SNNNNNNNapping is just something you have to get used to. Toggling the N key is simple enough. If you don’t detect the behavior is on (you can tell if the clip isn’t snapping), just toggle the N key. I don’t look and see if the light is on or not – never have. While I’m focused on the edit, my finger often hovers over the N key. I also switch from A to Z on my left hand for changing between the Select tool and the Zoom tool.
Right Hand is JKL: IO when shuttling. When trimming – hover over the N key. Sometimes slipping up to the U key to choose which side to trim from.
Left hnad switching tools A to Z. When trimming – hover over the R key for ripple and roll.You’ll get used to it after while. It took me at least 6 months of daily bangin’ before I could cut as smoothly on both platforms. So, hang in there bud.
Advice? You should stop trying to manhandle FCP into behaving like Avid. This is not the way to go about cross training. Force yourself to learn the FCP way. When editing in FCP and Avid, I have to separate in my mind that the tools behave differently. Your rote memory will battle you all the way to the grave, so you really must avoid the temptation to make FCP “Avid-like”.
And isn’t snapping in Avid the CMD key? You say the control key. Hey, it’s been awhile! But my rote memory is nagging me. 😉
Kevin Monahan
Take My FCP Master’s Workshop!
fcpworld.com
Pres. SF Cutters -
Also, make sure your Canvas is in “Fit to Window”
Kevin Monahan
Take My FCP Master’s Workshop!
fcpworld.com
Pres. SF Cutters -
[AlexF4ez] “I’ve been using FCP for about 8 months now and i’ve never encountered this problem because i used to capture individual shorter clips. Only recently did i start capturing entire tapes at once and i’ve ran into this problem.”
I’d say go back to using shorter clips. Capturing long clips and then subclipping is a time saving idea, but in the long run – FCP operates much better with short ones. Your problem does sound odd, however, and I’d want to get to the bottom of it. Try trashing prefs and then post back.
Kevin Monahan
Take My FCP Master’s Workshop!
fcpworld.com
Pres. SF Cutters -
[Danrnw] “I disagree with Kevin about when it comes to
edit to tape monitoring and ease of use”I didn’t say anything about monitoring at all. I just said that the way that you set up an Edit to Tape is exactly the same. I was replying to your statement here:
[Danrnw] Outputting to tape and editing to a specific timecode number is a
BASIC part of any professional editing system. And unfortunately
with FCP, it’s always been problematic, and a real reason why
many AVID Media Composer users are reluctant to switch to FCP,FCP does edit to a specific TC number. So that’s why I’m confused. You can even punch in if you have the correct deck and device control.
[Danrnw] “There are no VUs or
timecode info to tell you where you are in the show.”You can log a feature request, but again, this has nothing to do with setting up an ETT and starting the show at hour 1. My only point was that setting up for ETT is exactly the same. As far as more features as you’re laying back goes – sure, that’d by nice to have more visual feedback. However, I don’t really need VUs or TC display, as I can see those on my deck.
[Danrnw] “And that window that shows sequence playback is the wrong
aspect ratio…it shows non-square pixels.Which window? During Edit to Tape? Maybe it displays non-square because it takes less overhead. Never really noticed that if it’s true.
[Danrnw] “When you already have an NTSC monitor you don’t need FCP
taking up processor time with that window.”I guess the engineers figured that there’s enough horsepower to have a dislplay on layback. I still sometimes run FCP on the ol’ G3 400 and have no trouble with proc overhead.
And do you realize how many people run FCP without a NTSC monitor? In my FCP User Group, over 90% of the users do not work with a video monitor connected as they work. A shame, yes, but it’s true. You don’t really need one when you’re offlining. But yes, it’s true that you should have one hooked up on output – unfortunately, many people do not.
My main point was that setting up an ETT was the same on both systems.
Kevin Monahan
Take My FCP Master’s Workshop!
fcpworld.com
Pres. SF Cutters -
Kevin Monahan
July 21, 2006 at 2:34 pm in reply to: Can FC Express act as digitizing station for FCP?Sure wish it supported at least one offline codec: OLRT would be fine.
Kevin Monahan
Take My FCP Master’s Workshop!
fcpworld.com
Pres. SF Cutters -
[Danrnw] “Outputting to tape and editing to a specific timecode number is a
BASIC part of any professional editing system. And unfortunately
with FCP, it’s always been problematic, and a real reason why
many AVID Media Composer users are reluctant to switch to FCP,”Nice rant, however, IIRC, Edit to Tape on Avid and FCP both require you to black tape, backtime preshow elements – so it’s pretty much the same technique. IOW, TC is not automatically layed to tape nor is it output by the NLE. No NLEs I know send TC to my knowledge. It’s the deck that lays down code. Avid has a lot of cool pro features, but ETT is pretty much the same in both worlds.
Kevin Monahan
Take My FCP Master’s Workshop!
fcpworld.com
Pres. SF Cutters -
Yes, people do that stuff all the time. Just stack up 9 clips on the timeline, then resize them all and line them up in the Canvas.
Kevin Monahan
Take My FCP Master’s Workshop!
fcpworld.com
Pres. SF Cutters -
Animation files are only for rendering and not playback. Apple 10 Bit is for playback and is the right codec should you ever want to go back to tape. If you want to color correct, don’t forget to use a good video monitor, not the computer monitor.
Kevin Monahan
Take My FCP Master’s Workshop!
fcpworld.com
Pres. SF Cutters