Jerry Hofmann
Forum Replies Created
-
Jerry Hofmann
November 29, 2010 at 10:30 pm in reply to: Video Stutter 1080p ProRes – Out of Options and DesperateHas all of the footage been transcoded to ProRes before you edited? The DSLR footage especially needs to have had this done. I’d transcode it all to ProRes first. Mixing formats “works” sort of, but sure is nicer working in FCP 7 when it’s all singing the same tune and no transcoding nor frame size/rate conversion has to be done in the sequence.
Jerry
Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: https://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann
Current DVD:
https://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17″ MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX – Cinema Displays I have a 22″ that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.
-
You need the latest version of Final Cut Studio to get the LT version of ProRes…
Jerry
-
Possibly re-rendering that bit would have done the trick.
Jerry
Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: https://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann
Current DVD:
https://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17″ MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX – Cinema Displays I have a 22″ that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.
-
Paul’s answer is correct. You need to understand that what you recorded was GOP structured media. Not every pixel of every frame is actually recorded in the media file, and FCP doesn’t support native H.264 files.
I’d stay 720, unless you’re mixing with native 1080 source material. Might try ProRes LT depending on the project’s intended delivery and contents. Smaller files will result. It’s broadcast quality video…
ProRes is far easier on a machine to deal with because every pixel of every frame is recorded in the file (all reconstructed from the GOP structured media at one time during the conversion process), so the computer doesn’t have to look at a pile of frames to understand what these partial frames actually contain. Renders can become very long… especially compressions destined for the web.
ProRes is 10 bit video so you work in 10 bit sequence settings. 4 times as much possible colors can be actually recorded in a 10 bit file. All computer generated images look better for sure. Like gradient images are way better. And it all renders faster because every pixel of every frame is actually contained in the file itself. I’d stay native 720 though. 720 ProRes is really nice to work with I think.
Even the 8 bit recording you’ve started with shooting with that camera gets described as a 10 bit recording. Better color space all round actually. 4:2:2 instead of 4:2:0…
Jerry
Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: https://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann
Current DVD:
https://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17″ MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX – Cinema Displays I have a 22″ that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.
-
Try exporting a self contained QT movie of the sequence, and import that file into Compressor using the settings you’ve used before.
Jerry
Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: https://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann
Current DVD:
https://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17″ MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX – Cinema Displays I have a 22″ that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.
-
That sounds about right. Here’s a read on it all: https://images.apple.com/finalcutstudio/docs/Apple_ProRes_White_Paper_July_2009.pdf
Jerry
Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: https://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann
Current DVD:
https://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17″ MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX – Cinema Displays I have a 22″ that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.
-
Jerry Hofmann
November 25, 2010 at 5:14 pm in reply to: Captured 32kHz, 12 bit audio at 48kHz, 16 bit…whoops…should I worryI personally would bite the bullet…
Hey, it’s all automatic since you’ve already logged.
Jerry
Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: https://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann
Current DVD:
https://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17″ MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX – Cinema Displays I have a 22″ that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.
-
Buy the drive space and transcode it all to ProRes. If you don’t, the work involved up rezing the “edit” you end up with will be a real pain. Much like a manual conform.
Jerry
Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: https://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann
Current DVD:
https://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17″ MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX – Cinema Displays I have a 22″ that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.
-
Jerry Hofmann
November 24, 2010 at 6:33 pm in reply to: Bella Professional Series 3.0 Keyboard ProblemsHave you contacted Bella?
Jerry
-
Great answer!
Jerry
Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: https://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann
Current DVD:
https://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17″ MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX – Cinema Displays I have a 22″ that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.