Forum Replies Created

Page 151 of 260
  • Grinner Hester

    January 9, 2009 at 3:25 pm in reply to: Headphones for Editing

    I hate headphones. Hated em when I had to listen to my Twisted Sister Albums on em sos not to wake up Dad, and hate em today when I have to throw em on to edit at night. Nature of the beast workin at home with kiddoes.
    I had been head-phoning it at night for at least a full year when one night, I began to have technical difficulties with a mono channel.
    Now, I should step back and remind some of you I am stone deaf in my left ear. I don’t mention this to my clientele until or unless it becomes an inssue as it is indeed a handicap in this line of work sometimes.
    I use to have two ears. I remeber what it sounded like and I totally go by meters, having them memorized based on what I use to hear. I now can translate this to what I hear today (echo in a tin can with no direction perception) by what my meters look like. I hear in stereo by watching.
    So, back to the now. Daddy’s gettin’ his edit on at 2am when he plays a mono sound effect raw, sees meters and hears nothing.
    wha??
    I did it again. Began trouble shooting.
    deadline approaching, I began to question my wiring and was to tear into cables when I stopped and slowly turned my headphones around.

    mmm yeaaaah. It had been playing in one channel in my deaf ear all that time.
    Freaked me to the bone though. It dawned on me how half blind I really was driving when mastering. Now, I never spit anything out in mono but don’t think I slept that night second guessing everything I had sent out up to that point.
    Now, I don’t mind cuttin with phones on (well I hate it but whatchagonnado?) but when anyithing is coming in or out of the box, stereo headphones are a no no for me.

  • Grinner Hester

    January 9, 2009 at 2:44 pm in reply to: HDV AVID OMF for HDV 30f 1080 16×9 Project.

    I love the sony FX-1.
    doesnt do p2 but the tape is generic in any player or their MC will recognice the camera as a DV deck. That’s how I bring mine in.
    I have an early Arenaline though so no 1080 love for me. I bring it in letterboxed SD.

  • Grinner Hester

    January 9, 2009 at 2:40 pm in reply to: Compression Problem

    mix it down then export a qt reference file to your encoder.

  • Grinner Hester

    December 30, 2008 at 9:08 pm in reply to: Do I have to Move to Los Angeles?

    head west, young man.

  • Grinner Hester

    December 30, 2008 at 9:04 pm in reply to: Best Avid dve with light reflection

    specular in AE is prolly what ya want. You can animate real lights with it to.
    Avid’s hilights have much to be desired.
    Something that has not changed since ’95 with MC v5.

  • Grinner Hester

    December 28, 2008 at 1:58 pm in reply to: Do I have to Move to Los Angeles?

    and when ya get there, Tyler, please dont work for 65 bucks an hour.
    That’s the kind of stuff that’s messin’ it up for the rest of us.
    lol

  • Grinner Hester

    December 24, 2008 at 11:22 pm in reply to: Do I have to Move to Los Angeles?

    If your question is “do I have to?” no. no you don’t.
    It will help your chances infinatly though.
    See, if you wait for big projects to come to you, you’ll spend much time waiting. Go where the projects are and you can scurry for em in real time.
    Every editor is gonna have to move at some point. May as well get it done with early on, man.

  • Grinner Hester

    December 24, 2008 at 11:20 pm in reply to: can’t export to tape MC 3.0

    Ensure you have striped your tape first then set an in and an out.

    You’re best off just hitting record and play that bad boy if you don’t need acurate tc on the tape.
    Digital Cut is a lil clunky and Avid’s firewire usage is still comical for all those who don’t have an Avid. lol

  • Grinner Hester

    December 23, 2008 at 8:46 pm in reply to: color background

    Title tool is the quickest (other than dip to or from color, of course) but I always just make what I need in Photoshop. It stays open in every session anyway.

  • Grinner Hester

    December 23, 2008 at 8:44 pm in reply to: Editing photos in video – Avid vs. After Effects

    Skip the frustration and keep using After Effects.

Page 151 of 260

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy