Forum Replies Created

Page 456 of 525
  • Gary Adcock

    January 25, 2006 at 5:40 pm in reply to: Kona LS and FCP black level

    [David Achilles] “So if I encoded at 0 black, would the KONA card make it 7.5 on the export to tape?”

    correct
    but only when outputting over the analog connections – the digital output will always be a 0.

    Gary Adcock
    Studio37
    HD and Film Consultation
    Chicago, IL USA

  • Gary Adcock

    January 25, 2006 at 2:32 am in reply to: Minimum System requirements

    [jamess] “I’m looking to work with varicam footage via final cut pro 5 on a G5 1.8ghz / 1 gb ram. Is this just scrapping through”

    yes it is
    1g is the min amount of RAM to be able to do HD with. Cuts only edit you will be fine.

    Gary Adcock
    Studio37
    HD and Film Consultation
    Chicago, IL USA

  • Gary Adcock

    January 25, 2006 at 12:01 am in reply to: AJA HDP to plasma

    [Post Office Video] “I can look at SD fotage on the same display via a composite analog input and it looks much sharper that the SD coming through the DVI input.”

    yeah one is an interlaced video signal being sent properly and the other is a DVI signal that thinks it should be a progressive display signal so yes the composite should look better than the DVI

    Gary Adcock
    Studio37
    HD and Film Consultation
    Chicago, IL USA

  • Gary Adcock

    January 24, 2006 at 1:17 pm in reply to: 23.97 or 29.98 for the edit?

    [Peter Fuszard] ” I shot it all 24p as I like the look of that speed. I have been told that I should make my edit timeline 29.97 since that will be the end result anyway. Can anyone clear me up on when is the best time to do this”

    your friend is incorrect.

    Stay at 23.98 you will have an easier edit and when you go yo DVD that 24p content allows for more content or better (meaning less) compression on the DVD. Most of the Hollywood Features your see on DVD are at mastered at 23.98.
    DVD players are engineered to add the “pulldown” back into the 24p video so that it plays back out smoothly.

    Gary Adcock
    Studio37
    HD and Film Consultation
    Chicago, IL USA

  • Gary Adcock

    January 24, 2006 at 12:01 am in reply to: AJA HDP to plasma

    [Post Office Video] “I hope it is OK to post here as I don’t see a forum for AJA’s converters. I have a 42″ Hitachi plasma display that has an unusual native resolution- 1024×1024.”

    but I believe that you can change the rez of the display in the settings. is it a computer display with that rez does it have a tuner?

    The HDP should be able to play the footage at the image’s native rez (instead of the displays) if you turn off the scaling function.

    [Post Office Video] ” The standard def modes are soft- not sure if it is caused by the HDP or the Multibridge.”
    that is looking at SD footage on ah HD display.

    Gary Adcock
    Studio37
    HD and Film Consultation
    Chicago, IL USA

  • Gary Adcock

    January 23, 2006 at 10:17 pm in reply to: Best Workflow SD

    [Jim Cunningham] ” have an AJA IO LA hooked up to a Betacam 2800. I see that there is a DV50 capture setting, but that will only allow capture via firewire. It seems that the 8/10 bit uncompressed family is the only option to capture. Is that correct? If so what would be the best sequence (no render) to work in uncompressed or DV 50?”

    Jim have you loaded the most current drivers for the Io? you should have at least 4 settings for capture to DV50 ( Beta, (s) Video , composite, and SMPTE) if you are looking at the easy set up splash screen – do you have the show all box check to see all of the settings that say “AJAIo NTSC”
    DV 50 is a great way to do your editing without rendering.

    Gary Adcock
    Studio37
    HD and Film Consultation
    Chicago, IL USA

  • Gary Adcock

    January 23, 2006 at 10:08 pm in reply to: Best Place to buy Kona card

    [Eli Mavros] “The reason we are getting new cards is that the Kona SD cards conflict with FCP 5 and we bought two Production Suites (before we knew about the confliction) so we are now forced to upgrade our cards too.”

    Actually it was posted on the AJA web site for months that the older Kona SD cards were not supported for the G5 and the FCP5 upgrade. those cards were developed for the G4
    The new cards were developed for the G5 PCIx and newer PCIe machines and sorry AJA is pretty much like any other Mfg — after 30 days you are on your own.

    –complaining you cannot get tech support or special discounts on a product out of warranty via a PS is not the way to get any favors from any manufacturer.

    Gary Adcock
    Studio37
    HD and Film Consultation
    Chicago, IL USA

  • Gary Adcock

    January 23, 2006 at 5:53 pm in reply to: hooking up and viewing on a sony HD CRT

    [jaser] “wouldn’t a decklink hd pro 4:2:2 or 4:4:4 be another low cost solution for viewing dvcprohd footage on a pvm-14L5 via component? “

    since this camera does not do 4:4:4 that is not really a viable solution unless you want to waste your money. There are also a number of PC solutions that handle the HD content also.

    I only use Kona / AJA products, so that is what I recommend.

    Gary Adcock
    Studio37
    HD and Film Consultation
    Chicago, IL USA

  • Gary Adcock

    January 23, 2006 at 5:47 pm in reply to: OT: First HD Shoot & Edit

    [Dave] “Okay we bought the Kona LH, we are shooting with the Sony 900’s at 24P.
    Should I let the Sony JH3 HD Deck do the convert to 1080i @ 29.97 or 59.94.
    Should I edit in 24P or should I let the Kona LH convert to 1080i @ 29.97 or 59.94.
    Does it make any difference if we shoot in drop or non-drop frame?”

    I would digitize the footage into FCP as 1080 24 using DVCPROHD then you have your master in HD.
    The just downconvert only when you need to, from the Kona card. That way you will get the most out of the HDcam footage and the Kona card.

    Gary Adcock
    Studio37
    HD and Film Consultation
    Chicago, IL USA

  • Gary Adcock

    January 23, 2006 at 5:43 pm in reply to: Kona LHe and Quad sluggish

    [Jase] “However, in FCP there is a definate lag. FCP seems to very sloppy as it locks up sometimes when I am editing. It eventually catches up with all the keystrokes I did the minute or so before.”

    I am hearing a lot of this type of issue with the 10.4.4 / QT 7.04

    your kona board should be in the farthest slot from the Computers video card possible.

    but this sounds as if FCP is was not updated completely did you get the PRO APPS support updates also?

    Gary Adcock
    Studio37
    HD and Film Consultation
    Chicago, IL USA

Page 456 of 525

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy