Forum Replies Created

Page 284 of 350
  • Tim Kolb

    September 11, 2006 at 1:19 pm in reply to: Cineform Prospect vs Decklink Jpeg

    I would bet that you are right…CineForm does not carry alpha channels either.

    Most of these codecs are designed to create the optimal (whatever that is) combination of visual quality and small payload. Alpha channel adds payload that wouldn’t be used most of the time. I just use uncompressed if I have to export something that way.

    Since the arrival of Dynamic Link, I haven’t given it much thought as I do very few actual renders to a clip anymore…

    TimK,

    Kolb Productions,
    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    September 11, 2006 at 1:15 pm in reply to: Analog Capture

    Hi Charlie,

    PPro doesn’t have any analog video control as it doesn’t control any analog ingest. It would just accept it from the BM card.

    More to the point…wouldn’t you try to recover the pedestal using the playback deck’s TBC controls to change the video upon playback? Once it’s in the pipe, it would have to be adjusted again. Since a Beta deck already has a TBC that you need to pass through…would that be an option for you?

    TimK,

    Kolb Productions,
    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    September 11, 2006 at 5:07 am in reply to: Cineform Prospect vs Decklink Jpeg

    Hi Jerry,

    Check in the HD Link Prefs to make sure the box that says “M2 Lense Adapter mode” isn’t checked. It’s in there to “un-invert” the images created with the Red Rock Micro Prime adapter.

    TimK,

    Kolb Productions,
    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    September 10, 2006 at 7:12 pm in reply to: Cineform Prospect vs Decklink Jpeg

    [Jerry Hatfield] “Is it to early to ask for a comparision of these two codecs?”

    Not if somebody has done one…

    (I have no Black Magic gear to compare to the CineForm codec unfortunately)

    TimK,

    Kolb Productions,
    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    September 10, 2006 at 7:11 pm in reply to: Xena and Cineform Questions

    Overall, the advantage to CineForm should be both speed and quality. I’m not sure why you would get anything even close to Aspect performance with PPro HDV native…I found it to be profoundly slower in my comparisons.

    With the Xena card…there are settings where you can set what you want to have in real-time. You can set this based on the muscle you have in the system with the caveat that if you have asked it to do too much in real-time, you may end up seeing some frame drops when you play through those areas until you render, but it would certainly be visible.

    I’m not sure if AJA accelerates “Magic Bullet for Editors” (the Magic Bullet that plugs into PPro and Vegas), but there are some Open GL display cards that can do this. My Quadro 4500 will do it, but I’m not sure if my LH card would do it by itself or not…it would certainly not “black” the screen in any event.

    It comes down to this: In HD, everything will take longer than SD. You have the Matrox Axios of the world, but those workflows aren’t completely flawless either…there are limitations to all systems. The key is to figure out what limitations you can live with…

    TimK,

    Kolb Productions,
    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    September 9, 2006 at 2:36 pm in reply to: DVX 100b or FX 1

    [Steve Wargo] “The 24P mode on the Sonys is not acceptable. Without 24P, your movie will have a difficult time looking like a movie. It will look more like a sharp home movie.”

    While this is a true statement, shooting the Z1 at 25p (European frame rate) and ingesting with a drop to 24p (and compensating for the 4% audio pitch difference)is a perfectly usable workflow. CineForm/PPro and Vegas have workflows to work this way. Vegas also has a workflow that brings in the Sony HDV as 4:4:4 SD. Also very nice looking and higher quality than DV image compression certainly.

    While I agree that it is annoying for clients who really don’t know what they’re talking about to dictate equipment (a decade and a half of “if you don’t have a Sony cam and an Avid editor you’re an amateur” comes to mind…) HD vs SD is going to become more and more of an issue. I’ve worked with the DV100, the HVX200 as well as the Varicam and while the 24p is certainly really excellent, the Sony has pretty impressive latitude for a 5,000 dollar camera and workflow options that can make it work for many applications.

    I’d be as careful about disqualifying the Sony based on this one feature as I would be about settling on the Panasonic based on one feature. The 25>24 coversion takes no time with these two workflows as it happens on ingest, and since it’s a straight frame-for-frame conversion, it’s even a bit cleaner on the workflow end than the pulldown operations needed for the Panasonic material.

    …just something worth considering.

    TimK,

    Kolb Productions,
    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    September 7, 2006 at 3:16 am in reply to: Importing MXF Files From a Panasonic P2 Card

    Hmmm…

    I couldn’t find any info on whether it changes the codec or not. Unless there’s a licensed DVCPROHD codec in there, the material not only needs to change container format, it will need to be transcoded if there is no DVCPROHD codec on the system.

    TimK,

    Kolb Productions,
    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Wilson, my goodness…things have come full circle.

    It doesn’t seem so long ago we were posting on the M100 forum on the WWUG and I recall being a little envious of your move into the corporate world. 🙂

    Good to have you back in the fray, Tim.

    Hopefully we’ll run into each other at a tradeshow sometime at a moment when we both aren’t dragging roller suitcases to a demo session or a meeting in opposite directions…

    Welcome, old-timer… 🙂

    TimK,

    Kolb Productions,
    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    September 6, 2006 at 12:13 pm in reply to: Aspect HD questions

    Mr Steven…you may have seen an upgrade instead of a full version.

    If you are REALLY tight on the budget end of things, PPro 2.0 does handle HDV natively, but it takes a bigger machine to run at a satisfying speed.

    PPro 1.5.1 is a free upgrade to 1.5 and that also will work with HDV. It’s a scaled back version of Aspect under the hood. It doesn’t run as fast as Aspect HD full version, but it would get you into HDV editing as a start…

    TimK,

    Kolb Productions,
    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    September 6, 2006 at 2:00 am in reply to: AspectHD 3.2 and APP1.5.1/2.0…?

    Part of the installer may work to the latest version of the software, and part of it just looks for 1.5.1?

    Weird…but stranger things have happened.

    I can’t remember how I had to run mixed PPro and mixed Aspect versions…I know at one point something needed some attention though…

    TimK,

    Kolb Productions,
    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

Page 284 of 350

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy