Kevin Monahan
Forum Replies Created
-
Simple.
If you want to do this en masse and before placing the clips into the timeline, do it in the Browser:Control-click on the In column in the browser and choose>”Clear In”.
Then do the same in the Out column.Kevin Monahan
Take My FCP Master’s Workshop!
fcpworld.com -
The “del” key under the HELP button will also do a ripple delete.
BTW, I always wondered why Apple changed “Delete” to “Lift” while they didn’t change “Ripple Delete” to “Extract”. 😉
Kevin Monahan
Take My FCP Master’s Workshop!
fcpworld.com -
If it’s working for you, then no don’t change anything. As long as you have a “working backup”, it’s all good.
-
Well, what happens to the project file if the Xserve goes down?
I would not keep my project file on any media disk even though you can, doesn’t mean you should.
Perhaps you’re in a situation where you need to share the project file over Xsan?I like Mark’s idea:
Local
Global
Mobile -
-
Kevin Monahan
April 13, 2006 at 8:36 pm in reply to: video with no red, operator with no color correction knowledgeJust make the footage black and white. Call it a “stylized” piece. 😉
Kevin Monahan
Take My FCP Master’s Workshop!
fcpworld.com -
You don’t know Replace Edit?
Duuuuuuuude………You want the football to hit Jerry Rice’s forearms right on the downbeat of the Monday Night Football theme, but you can’t get the timing just right?
Place the playhead in the Viewer in the place where the football hits Jerry’s forearms.
Place the playhead in the Timeline on the place where the downbeat hits.
F11 and you have re-synched action and sound.I would say that most self-trained editors simply don’t “get” Replace Edit. You pretty much some decent training to show you how cool it is and in how many instances you can use it.
Avid guys are just as bad. So many times I’ve heard, “Oh, I never use the blue splicer. I’m not sure how it works.”
Ouch…..
Power editors rely on Replace Edit.
So Tom, do you see this little bug?
Kevin Monahan
Take My FCP Master’s Workshop!
fcpworld.com -
A SATA Array attached via PCMCIA would be an alternative for you but I’d say that any major project with a TB of media would not be attempted with a meager PowerBook. It’s possible, but it’d drive me crazy….
Mark is correct, FireWire drives are pretty dicey – especially if you don’t maintain them frequently, religiously unmount them before shut-down, run DW often, Repair Permissions.
My guess is that Drive #3 is faulty (or was never set up properly in the first place) and needs some serious maintenace. The first thing I’d do is check out the directory structure of Drive #3. Has it been formatted with Mac OS Extended (HFS +)?
I’m not saying that this is your problem reel2reel….but you see these kinds of problems cropping up more and more lately.
My feeling is that the availability of cheaper drives has tempted doc makers (especially newer ones) to want to have WAY too much media online to work with. Footage rarely is logged or planned out prior to capturing it. Sure, you can log afterward – just make sure to blow away any media you surely will not need. If you “just buy more drives” than that is complicating your situation rather than helping it. I think that’s what Tom means by “Large projects with a lot of media need a lot of pre=planning to handle the media efficiently”.
By capturing tape roll after tape roll with no media management leads to having way too much media and way more overhead for FCP to handle. As you’ve found, each new chunk of media, will bog your system down as time goes forward and more drives are added to the system.
Kevin Monahan
Take My FCP Master’s Workshop!
fcpworld.com -
What’s different about it is that it can be scaled WAY bigger AND it’s in it’s own window which can be moved to different parts of the screen.
Kevin Monahan
Take My FCP Master’s Workshop!
fcpworld.com -
Kevin Monahan
April 13, 2006 at 6:46 pm in reply to: Re: Nattress And Magic Bullet plug-ins no longer work?I’m having the same problem with my Twixtor and Re:Vision filters. I seem to recall a post from the Re:Vision folks somewhere….
Kevin Monahan
Take My FCP Master’s Workshop!
fcpworld.com