Forum Replies Created

Page 1790 of 1940
  • John Rofrano

    April 7, 2009 at 11:55 pm in reply to: OS advice

    That depends on how stable you think the first release of Windows 7 will be. Vista 64 was almost unusable prior to SP1. Windows 7 is really Vista 64 with less bloat so it might be fairly stable. You might want to download the public beta and see for yourself.

    The question is can you wait until Windows 7 is released and will Vista 64 drivers work with Windows 7? We have waited years for Vista 64 drives and I’m still waiting for some for my audio hardware and DVD duplicator. I wouldn’t even consider upgrading from XP to Vista 32-bit or Windows 7 32-bit. Why bother if you can’t use more than 3.5GB of memory just like XP. So I would definitely move to 64-bit or stay with XP.

    I’m running Vista 64 and while it has a lot of frustrating quirks that I hope they fix in Windows 7, it do like it better than XP. It’s really a personal choice that only you can make.

    ~jr

    http://www.johnrofrano.com
    http://www.vasst.com

  • John Rofrano

    April 7, 2009 at 11:42 pm in reply to: Vegas Pro 8 Transitions

    > It is very difficult without the use of graphics with description but I will try different things. If you have anything else that could help please let me know.

    How about a graphic?

    If you don’t have this button are you sure you are using Vegas Pro 8.0 and not Movie Studio?

    ~jr

    http://www.johnrofrano.com
    http://www.vasst.com

  • > I think this applies for PAL so your new base screen (at least for flash encoder) to get correct aspect ratio on your FLV file will be 873 x 576 ….

    No, unfortunately it does not apply for PAL. 🙁 PAL Widescreen uses a different pixel aspect ratio than NTSC (1.4568 vs 1.2121).

    ~jr

    http://www.johnrofrano.com
    http://www.vasst.com

  • John Rofrano

    April 7, 2009 at 4:41 pm in reply to: Rendering Out HD

    Hi Rob,

    This drives me nuts too and it’s an After Effects “thing”. The problem is that After Effects doesn’t adjust for the Pixel Aspect Ratio of video. I forget how I solved this in AE (I’m on my laptop right now and AE is on my desktop). I may have manually created a 1920×1080 comp and dropped the 1440×1080 footage into it but one definite solution is to render your files as 1920×1080 for AE. There is no difference in quality between 1440×1080 PAR 1.3333 and 1920×1080 PAR 1.0 because 1440 x 1.3333 = 1920. So render your files as 1920×1080 for work in AE and you should be fine.

    I’m sure someone with AE knowledge can tell you how to get 1440×1080 files to display properly but it escapes me and as I said I don’t have my AE here to play with. Maybe ask in the AE forum?

    ~jr

    http://www.johnrofrano.com
    http://www.vasst.com

  • John Rofrano

    April 7, 2009 at 4:08 pm in reply to: Aspect Ratio and Video Formats

    Sorry I forgot about the rendering part. If this is SD DV then you can safely render sections to DV AVI files. Vegas has a really good DV codec that can be re-rendered multiple times before you will see any visible degradation. Feel free to render sections to DV AVI and then assemble all of those DV files into a master project for final rendering to MPEG2 DVD.

    ~jr

    http://www.johnrofrano.com
    http://www.vasst.com

  • John Rofrano

    April 7, 2009 at 3:59 pm in reply to: Rendering to .MOV problems

    > and I would like to render this to .MOV only becuase I see it as my best option, if I render to .AVI raw its way too big, and .wmv is just a dodgy ouptut file.

    I just want to point out that an uncompressed MOV file will be about the same size as an uncompressed AVI file. Not sure what you are trying to accomplish here. You will need to use a codec for either format (MOV or AVI) if you want the file to be smaller. The Quicktime Animation codec is possibly a good choice because it uses lossless compression.

    ~jr

    http://www.johnrofrano.com
    http://www.vasst.com

  • > 448×240 looks right and for the life of me I can’t understand why. This isn’t making any sence.

    Just to expand a bit on what Douglas said, there is something called Pixel Aspect Ratio (PAR) that must be added to the equation for it to make sense. The web uses a PAR of 1.0. This means that each pixel of the video represents one pixel on the screen. We call this “square pixels”. PAL Widescreen uses a PAR of 1.4568. This means that each pixel of video represents 1.4568 pixels on the screen. We call this “non-square” pixels.

    To answer your original question “How do I work out video dimentions for web streaming?” you must multiply the horizontal dimension of the video by the PAR. For PAL Widescreen that would be 720 * 1.4568 or ~1049 making PAL Widescreen 1049×576 at PAR 1.0. If you want your web video to be half resolution you should use 524×288.

    ~jr

    http://www.johnrofrano.com
    http://www.vasst.com

  • John Rofrano

    April 7, 2009 at 3:15 pm in reply to: Vegas Pro 8 Transitions

    > I really need a step by step instructions because I’m confident that the way you describe it works but I can’t do things without knowing to left or right click onto something or what each thing is called.

    It’s difficult to give you a step by step without graphics to see what I’m doing but I’ll try.

    1. Drop your logo on an empty track
    2. Click the Track Motion button in the track header. (it’s the 2nd button after the track name)
    3. In the Track Motion window, click on a corner and drag it to resize the logo to the size you want.
    4. Click anywhere in the rectangle that represents the video and drag it to move the logo to the location you want on the video.
    5. Close Track Motion

    That’s really all there is to it.

    ~jr

    http://www.johnrofrano.com
    http://www.vasst.com

  • John Rofrano

    April 7, 2009 at 12:06 am in reply to: blue background help asap please

    You can adjust the dancer by using a moving mask. What you do is duplicate the track with the chroma key effect to the track above. Then turn the chroma key on that track into a black and white mask by checking the box Show mask only. Now change the composite mode of this upper track to Multiply (Mask). Finally make the original chroma key track a child of this upper track using Make Compositing Child. You can now remove the chroma key FX from the original footage add a Sony Color Curve to adjust the dancer.

    This is explain in great detail in a tutorial on the VASST web site:

    The Garbage Key

    There is even a downloadable project file to show you how.

    ~jr

    http://www.johnrofrano.com
    http://www.vasst.com

  • John Rofrano

    April 6, 2009 at 7:31 pm in reply to: sony vegas

    Sorry I never answered this last post. If you go to the Womble web site and download a trial of their software, you’ll see that it allows you to drop several MPG or VOB files on a timeline and transcode them into one big file. It can also change the audio from AC3 to MPEG2 as it does this so that Vegas can load it.

    ~jr

    http://www.johnrofrano.com
    http://www.vasst.com

Page 1790 of 1940

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy