Forum Replies Created

Page 307 of 413
  • John Pale

    April 18, 2008 at 6:46 am in reply to: Direct Audio Output

    Did you change the overall sequence settings (application menu)…if so, that only changes it for any new sequences you create.

    You need to change the audio prefs for the current sequence (sequence menu)

  • John Pale

    April 17, 2008 at 9:19 pm in reply to: Anything from Apple this Show?

    I suspect parallel development of a 64 bit Cocoa version of FCP has been going on for quite awhile….much like the parallel development of OSX for Intel.

  • Make sure you are using the proper Easy Setup (don’t try to change your settings manually).

    If you are convinced you have the correct Easy Setup and its still not working, check to make sure your menu settings on the deck are correct (e.g., it may be set to downconvert instead of HD output). If the deck you rented did not come with a manual, you should call the rental house and have someone walk you through it.

  • John Pale

    April 11, 2008 at 11:21 pm in reply to: FCP / MPEG4 issue

    Do you have a mix of sample rates in your timeline? (CD tracks are 44.1k unless you convert them)

    Make sure all audio that does not match your sequence sample rate is rendered (or better yet, convert the file in Quicktime, itunes, or Compressor. Even if it plays in real time in FCP.

    Wacky things can also happen if you use MP3’s in your timeline. Make sure you convert everything to stereo aiff 48k for best results.

  • John Pale

    April 11, 2008 at 1:31 pm in reply to: Mixing Clip codecs in the same seq…

    [Justin Toops] “My question: should we run all our footage through compressor or squeeze to make it all the same 1080/30P? Or would that realistically take forever… so there would be a better work around?
    “

    Though mixing formats in the timeline works okay (not great), I would convert everything to one format in Compressor (assuming this clips are short). Your machine is very fast, so Compressor shouldn’t take that long. It will make your life easier once you start editing.

  • John Pale

    April 10, 2008 at 3:32 am in reply to: Prores 422 CPU requirements

    My dual 2ghz G5 can’t play it back reliably at all (ProRes HD, anyway…SD is fine). Dropped frames galore. Its all CPU…., I can play uncompressed 1080i HD no problem.

    I think any Intel unit like yours would work fine.

  • John Pale

    April 8, 2008 at 3:25 pm in reply to: Help! My Memory isn’t Helping!

    Walter,

    I think to a large degree you are right…but with her setup, even with a top of the line disk array, I don’t think she’s going to be able to squeeze much more speed out of Dual 2GHZ G5.

    I run a 5 disk SATA raid with my machine (also a 2ghz G5), and a MacPro with a G-RAID FW800 will still run circles around it with most formats. Of course, I can get limited uncompressed HD performance with my gear, and that MacPro G-RAID system would probably choke…so its all relative.

    I’m not sure what format she’s working in (she only mentioned still photos), but I would hate to see her spend all kinds of money on faster disks, when possibly she should be saving some cash for a new machine. Would need more info about the kind of work she is doing.

  • John Pale

    April 8, 2008 at 6:02 am in reply to: Help! My Memory isn’t Helping!

    Faster drive array (RAID) will help a bit, but the only thing that will help significantly is a new computer. Processor speed is the biggest factor in your realtime performance.

    I’m still chugging away on a dual 2Ghz G5 on my own system. Just freelanced the other day on a MacPro Octocore. Damn, does that thing smoke my machine. No coffee break renders on that baby.

  • John Pale

    April 5, 2008 at 3:46 pm in reply to: Mac OS X blinks every 45 secs

    [gene Smith] “Note: The quick blink only happens when I’m in my particular ‘users’ account, mine! My sister and I share the same Mac editing system, but when she’s logged into her own personal account, there’s no issue. What could be the problem and how do I correct it? “

    Create a new user account for yourself and migrate your data to it. See if that helps.

  • John Pale

    April 1, 2008 at 4:02 am in reply to: Extracting Bin Info (ALEs from FCP)

    Cinema Tools can export ALE’s. Did you try that?

Page 307 of 413

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy