Forum Replies Created

Page 401 of 508
  • Put the Kona in Slot 4 (top slot, fastest slot) and the SATA in one of the other slots.

    Jerry

  • It’s a tough time to be a colorist! True CRT’s are being phased out on a “new products” basis, but I’ll bet the VAST majority of broadcast/cable viewers are still looking at them. One needs to color correct for the type of monitor that the project is going to be seen on… so for now broadcast should be CRT”s I’d think. Or both… come up with a “happy medium”? When you see a 50% adoption of LCD or Plasmas, then things might change (but even they don’t display the same signal the same). There’s still a problem though with shelf life… if the project is likely to live for years (like a doc that History Channels’ going to run for a decade, you might think differently about it.

    Course, there’s always that problem of the viewer’s own setup for the monitor he’s using… could be anywhere… I think US consumers like to watch TV with too much color and too much brightness in general… but I don’t think we should be color correcting for this. They LIKE it that way (as odd as it sounds).

    Now that I’ve confused everyone, including me… I really don’t think it matters as much as all that. LCD’s from Sony or Panasonic’s new 26″ HD LCD monitor are probably close enough to hit that happy medium…

    I’d love a professional colorist to put in a couple of cents here.

    Jerry

  • Jerry Hofmann

    July 3, 2006 at 12:53 pm in reply to: To all dual monitor users. POLL

    I think your workflow would be enhanced with FCP if you put the menu bar (startup screen) on the same side as the Canvas/Viewer/Timeline window. Reason is, you’re there most of the time already. It’s different than Avid’s setup becuase FCP’s workflow is different. I use some custom setups but mostly dual screen color correction… each brain works a bit differently, and if you’re happy, stay where you are. Shoot there’s about 3 ways to do ANYTHING in FCP so even the app itself is catering to the different ways people look at things.

    Jerry

  • Jerry Hofmann

    June 30, 2006 at 9:54 pm in reply to: HDV sequence to SD DVD

    You must export a self contained HDV sequence to DVD SP, it won’t accept a non self contained file.

    Jerry

  • Jerry Hofmann

    June 30, 2006 at 12:59 pm in reply to: NTSC to PAL using Compressor

    There’s a preset for this in the “Advanced Format conversions” in Compressor… will show up in the pop up menu for the settings of the compression.

    Jerry

  • Jerry Hofmann

    June 30, 2006 at 12:58 pm in reply to: FC express on G3

    I know that FCP 3 will run on it, and run even better in OS 9.2.2 FWIW…

    So that leaves Express version 1 probably maybe two… have you checked at Apple’s support area for the spec for Express? It’s probably there somewhere or an update will clue to to which version will run on which Mac.. Search downloads at Apple for Final Cut Pro Express and you’ll find your answer.

    Jerry

  • Jerry Hofmann

    June 29, 2006 at 11:28 pm in reply to: Yay! Another HD Format! Just what we need!

    Ya know?

    When we went to digital I was hopin’ that the industry would make it easier. I couldn’t have been more disappointed. I thought 10 Tape formats were too much.

    Should have occured to me that manufacturers would make it so that a pro had to buy more gear naturally, that’s nothing new.

    I can’t believe what’s going on.

    Blu Ray vs HD DVD’s another example of this. Cripes we’re going to need TWO burners.

    Where’s the freaking link to the whitepaper?

    I CAN HARDLY WAIT.

    Jerry

  • Jerry Hofmann

    June 29, 2006 at 5:17 pm in reply to: Final cut pro 4.0 wont detect my firewire!

    If you didn’t do a clean wipe and install when you upgraded, I’d recommend that.

    Also QT 7 seems to cause havoc with FW devices… read here for the fix: https://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301852

    HTH

    Jerry

  • Jerry Hofmann

    June 29, 2006 at 5:16 pm in reply to: Don’t ever buy La Cie again!

    Well, YOU said don’t buy an Avid TWICE… must mean something? LOL

    Jerry

  • Jerry Hofmann

    June 28, 2006 at 11:45 am in reply to: FCP on New MacBook Pro

    Miss Shell’s on the right path.

    The files must match the sequence settings in order to get RT playback.

    Another way to approach this is to convert your QT movies with the anamation codec to uncompressed video 8 or 10 bit, and then setup a standard uncompressed sequence to edit them in. Course this will require fast enough disk drives to handle the data rate. An eSata array, or a G-Raid (FW 800) would handle the playback…

    Might post the exact properties of these source clips. Anamation codec and what size?

    Jerry

Page 401 of 508

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy