Jerry Hofmann
Forum Replies Created
-
What uses up RAM in FCP is open sequences. The more edited sequences, and the more numbers of edits you have in them, the more RAM is used by FCP. so if you’re working in short form, in most cases you’ll not use that much RAM, if you’re working in long form, more RAM will be used. Rendering and real time playback in FCP is mainly a CPU task, Playback in Motion and Shake though is RAM based… Yeah, confusing… but I’d start with 2-3 gigs or so then see… if you see a slowdown, buy more RAM.. if not, you’re good to go.
I’m working with 2.5 gigs, but only do short form most of the time and don’t find I run out much. You’ll know when you are too… the system slows down because it’s using a disk cache instead of RAM…
Jerry
-
FCP will address up to abouty 2.5 gigs.. then if you open Motion, it will address the moon if you are doing a lot with it… each app will use what’s available.. i.e. the more RAM you have, the more Apps will run at the same time… Most everyone seems to be happy with about 4 gigs… but that’s just an average… Photoshop is a RAM hog, as is Shake, AE etc… OS X partitions RAM for each app you have open… it gives stability… So What you are reading isn’t wrong… it’s just not the whole story.
Jerry
-
I should think it would be… the current ones are IDE interfaced, just like a superdrive is… The school just bought a couple of them, so I’ll report back if they don’t work right or something… Sony’s I think…
Jerry
-
I agree about the generator… you’d think you wouldn’t need it, but it always seems to cause problems in post if you don’t use one.
Capture now will capture the timecode unless you also choose “non controllable device” as the device control setting.
Try shorter captures? There is a setting to check too… to force the audio to sync. It’s in the General User Preferences… sync audio capture to video if present…. might try it both ways.?
Jerry
-
Man, this one’s pretty rough… Motherboard? I just don’t think it has anything to do with the array…
Might try pushing the PMU button found on your motherboard. It resets all power system wide. UNPLUG it from power first though. Wait a few secs then repower up…
If the install is clean, and it sounds like it is.. it’s something else.
Jerry
-
Could be your display card… have you tried both ports on it? Also might push your PMU button… unplug the mac completely from power and it’s on the motherboard usually near the RAM chips… resets the power management system wide. Saw it fix a decklink card today…
Jerry
-
Rendered? The titles media created from within FCP (Text or boris) are contained in the project file. Not your G-Tech… that’s probably why they are dropping frames. If you render them to the G-tech… they’ll likely playback OK.
Jerry
-
Tom, I just talked to Apple directly… Pro Apps support says the license agreement allows for one laptop, one tower and no running at the same time… including the universal version.
Jerry
-
When did they change it? I’m pretty sure my Studio license reads one tower, one PB etc.. But I’m not running 5.1…
Jerry
-
Jerry Hofmann
September 1, 2006 at 5:39 pm in reply to: Quicktime compressions for 2hr project to send to composer? Help?Or burn the many DVD’s (more like 10 of them) breaking your sequence down to no more than about 20 minutes of show for each export … That’s all you can fit on one 4.7 gig DVD…
FW drive solution is a good one!
Jerry