Forum Replies Created

Page 387 of 508
  • Jerry Hofmann

    September 1, 2006 at 5:35 pm in reply to: Render crashes in HD using FCP…

    I don’t think it’s storage then… I think it’s much more likely a problem with your installation of software or you have some funky RAM chips involved. All that that array is doing is reading and writing, and it works for playback and capture OK so…

    All of the rendering process is handled by your CPU thru software and RAM… so likely the software isn’t up to snuff, or the RAM is a problem… Who did you buy the RAM from? Apple?

    Have you tested the RAM with any software utility? Best way to check RAM is to only run with a pair at a time and see if the problem shows up with a certain pair of sticks. or is always present no matter what i.e, You don’t need more than a gig or so to run FCP so narrow down the possibly bad ram by seeing if the problem goes away when certain chips are not installed.

    You did a clean install of the software right? as in Erase and Install of Tiger, then update, then install Studio, then update, repair permissions… if not that’s the more likely problem I think. I suppose there might be some problem with the array, but don’t think that the crashes during renders would be a problem if all else works with them.

    Jerry

  • Jerry Hofmann

    September 1, 2006 at 3:00 pm in reply to: Which laptop is minimum for FCP?

    The license allows you to load it on one laptop and one tower. So as long as you don’t run them BOTH at the same time, you don’t have to buy another license.

    Jerry

  • Jerry Hofmann

    September 1, 2006 at 2:56 pm in reply to: Export Quicktime Conversion

    You don’t have a problem don’t think. the 640X480 in the parens isn’t the size of the file. it’s the size of the display of it in QT… It accounts for the fact that DV doesn’t have square pixels, so it’s displayed as that instead of 720X480 I believe. But the file is still 720X480. When you import into AE.. doesn’t it report it as 720X480?

    Also, you’ll find that exporting via QT Movie… and NOT QT conversion results in a better file… it doesn’t recompress it. When you export using QT conversion it does, and represents a digital generation loss.

    Jerry

  • Jerry Hofmann

    September 1, 2006 at 2:50 pm in reply to: Render crashes in HD using FCP…

    Contact AJA… the guys there might have a solution. support@aja.com Might just call them too.

    There were new drivers posted this week for that capture card too.

    I’d not use a SATA for HD… yeah, just what you didn’t want to hear. But if it captures and plays back OK, I don’t think that’s necessarily the problem…

    Jerry

  • Jerry Hofmann

    September 1, 2006 at 2:45 pm in reply to: Massive audio drift capturing DVCPRO 50

    Could there be something wrong with camera 2’s recording? can you make a clone of it?

    Jerry

  • What can the composer work with? you’ll most likely need more than one DVD.

    Jerry

  • Jerry Hofmann

    September 1, 2006 at 12:42 am in reply to: OT: Quantum SDLT as a backup solution…Anyone?

    I haven’t used one in a while, but the last time I did, I came to the conclusion that it was just too slow to bother with. DVD burning would be about as slow… I think the future points at Blu Ray…

    Jerry

  • Jerry Hofmann

    August 26, 2006 at 12:27 am in reply to: basic compression, de-interlacing

    You’re not missing something… How did they capture the footage? In FCP? and what codec did they use?

    I’d show this to the post house BTW…

    Jerry

  • Jerry Hofmann

    August 24, 2006 at 4:20 am in reply to: basic compression, de-interlacing

    AH that tells me a lot!

    The laCie isn’t fast enough for uncompressed video… you need an array. There are firewire arrays out there. I like the G-Raids for this. https://www.g-technology.com Look at the FW G-raids there. They are twice as fast as what a single disk FW drive… which is probably what you are using. It’s not a Big disk, right? ie. it’s about the size of a slightly oversized paper back book… if so it’s not fast enough, and you’ll find the playback better on a faster array.

    The other thing I see is 10.3.9 and QT 7… they don’t get along very well. FCP HD? then QT 6.5.2… FCP 5.x? then Tiger and QT 7…

    Jerry

  • Jerry Hofmann

    August 24, 2006 at 4:15 am in reply to: FCP crashing

    I don’t use those plugins here, but are the versions you are using compatible with the version of FCP you are using? i.e. have you looked at their websites for updates?

    What you are attempting to do should work OK as far as the copy of the filters goes.

    The AVI export is a different matter I think. Why do you need the largest AVI? you won’t gain any quality for what it’s worth… maybe there’s a better work around to get your job done… if your crashing in compressor about 70% of the way in, it’s common that the render file that’s around that area of the sequence is corrupt, and a simple re render will fix it.

    Problems like this arise from software installs that are flaking out too. But in both cases, it’s not a bug per se.. it’s more likely a corrupt install, incompatible filters, and/or a bad render file in the AVI export.

    Jerry

Page 387 of 508

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy