Jerry Hofmann
Forum Replies Created
-
If a single frame is dropped during playback for whatever reason, the warning comes up… as was suggested, turn off the warning, and I’ll bet that you don’t see much if any difference in your actual workflow. and I’ll second the notion that if you’re not going to tape in the end, it doesn’t really matter so know about those dropped frames.
Mirroring the drives cut the available speed quite a lot as well. (but of course at the risk of file loss if you go Raid 0 instead) Probably by about 50%. If the drive has an eSata connection, you’d find that mirrrored drive setup would speed up a lot using that instead of the FW port. FW 800 is a bottleneck actually. And you likely wouldn’t drop the frames as often.
Jerry
Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: https://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann
DVD:https://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup
8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17″ MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays
-
What settings are you using when you select the QT movie export exactly?
Jerry
Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: https://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann
DVD:https://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup
8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17″ MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays
-
Choose file/export/quicktime movie…
Then click ON the “Make Self Contained” option. It will be a large file…
Then in DVD SP, open it’s preferences, and set the MPEG compression there… it will make the file small enough to fit and be compatible to play a standard Def DVD.
If you’ll post the length of your program, I can help you with what settings to use in DVD SP’s compression settings found in those preferences.
Jerry
Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: https://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann
DVD:https://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup
8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17″ MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays
-
DVD SP doesn’t make files larger. NO software simply opening a file will make it larger.
If you export a self contained QT movie using current settings, the file size will be constant no matter where it’s opened. Non self contained movies will always hold the audio mixed down, but can change size because they must contain renders of un rendered material from the sequence. So they can be of various sizes, and different codecs will make files of various sizes…
Jerry
Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: https://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann
DVD:https://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup
8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17″ MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays
-
The only time I’ve seen problems copying tapeless media from the card or drive that originally recorded it is when the copy wasn’t EVERYTHING that was on said original recording media. Folders, files and their exact original file structures have to be identical with the original files. Shane’s tutorial explains all this, and I’ll wager it will fix you right up.
Jerry
Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: https://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann
DVD:https://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup
8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17″ MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays
-
The project file size has very little to do with the size of the QT movies you export from it. QuickTime movies of the same program can be of various sizes depending on the codec used to create them as well, so I’m not sure I understand where your problem lies. How to fit it all on a DVD in DVD SP? If so, then you need to compress your project using an MPEG 2 compression which will make the program work and fit on a DVD. These MPEG files can also be of different sizes even with the same program. The data rate chosen for the compression will determine the actual size of the video files.
Jerry
Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: https://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann
DVD:https://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup
8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17″ MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays
-
First thing to do is change your sequence setting to be anamorphic…
Jerry
Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: https://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann
DVD:https://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup
8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17″ MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays
-
And it’s a dandy one! I forgot you just did this for the COW!
Jerry
Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: https://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann
DVD:https://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup
8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17″ MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays
-
Change the easy setup to DV Anamorphic. If you don’t you can change them after you’ve captured them as 4:3 DV files by clicking on the anamorphic checkbox you’ll find in a column in your browser.
Jerry
Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: https://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann
DVD:https://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup
8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17″ MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays
-
First transfer the files from your camera to a hard drive. Leave the file structure alone and copy it all.
OPen the log and transfer window in FCP: shift+cmd+8. Then navigate to the copies on the drive, and they will load into the window. Then drag them to where it says to drag them to. FCP will import the files as ProRes files. Then edit from these files which will be located in your Browser.
Jerry
Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: https://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann
DVD:https://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup
8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17″ MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX Cinema Displays