Jerry Hofmann
Forum Replies Created
-
Yeah, and if that fails (be sure to check the exported file, as it may not be what’s in the sequence), then you need to transcode each shot you’ve used to ProRes, and conform a new sequence to these transcoded files.
Live and learn?
Jerry
Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: https://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann
Current DVD:
https://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17″ MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX – Cinema Displays I have a 22″ that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.
-
I think the thing to do is redo the media mananger’s job…
Select all in the browser. Then open media manager, and don’t select to delete unused media.
Then in the bottom of the window, turn on the option to create a new project file, and save it to the same drive you’re moving the media with. This file will open after the copies are made and should be connected to the copied media all ready to go…
Somewhere along the line, you didn’t do the above, so you’re having to reconnect or missed some files.
Jerry
Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: https://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann
Current DVD:
https://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17″ MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX – Cinema Displays I have a 22″ that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.
-
AVCHD files are best transcoded to ProRes. If you want to use clipwrap, you can, it transcodes as well as rewraps to QT movies. Problem you’re having is that you only rewrapped the files, and those files aren’t supported by the current versions of FCP.
Jerry
Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: https://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann
Current DVD:
https://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17″ MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX – Cinema Displays I have a 22″ that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.
-
FCP can’t edit AVCHD files natively, so you have to transcode the camera’s files to something that does work… the AIC codec is very lossy, and will result in files that don’t look as good as files transcoded to ProRes. ProRes files are indeed much larger than the AIC and the native AVCHD files. It’s just the way it is with FCP 6 or 7. That sure could change with the next version of FCP, but it’s not here yet…
AVCHD shots are GOP structured media files and because of that they are small, but extremely inefficient to edit with (that’s why they aren’t supported directly in FCP). ProRes and AIC files are all ‘i” frame files and much easier for FCP to edit, ProRes is the preferred way to work in FCP because the quality is so much better than the AIC files. ProRes files are visually lossless from the original AVCHD files… but contain every pixel of every frame (GOP structured media only contains the difference from frame to frame more or less).
I’d use the Log and Transfer window in FCP for the transcoding BTW… you’re not buying a thing using a third party app for the job. File sizes will be the same.
If you upgraded to FCP 7, you’d gain the use of ProRes LT which produces files smaller than standard ProRes, but are still broadcast quality files.
In any event, if you need more drive space, it’s never been less expensive. Shoot, my first media drive was a 1 gig hard drive and it cost $2,500… (1989). You can buy bare bones 2 TB hard drives these days for less than the sales tax was on that first drive of mine!
Jerry
Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: https://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann
Current DVD:
https://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17″ MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX – Cinema Displays I have a 22″ that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.
-
I’d not perform any upgrade of FCP and/or an OS upgrade without performing a clean install… Backup what you want to keep on another drive, erase and install the OS, and then install studio over that. You’ll completely erase your startup disk doing this, so remember to clone it, or backup your data first.
Jerry
Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: https://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann
Current DVD:
https://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17″ MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX – Cinema Displays I have a 22″ that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.
-
If you are unable to perform a clean and fresh install, I wouldn’t upgrade the OS. You’ll gain little in any event, and why would you want to do it when you don’t gain much…? i.e., If it’s not broken, don’t fix it.
A “real” upgrade would be to go to Studio 2009, and Snow Leopard done as a clean install.
Jerry
Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: https://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann
Current DVD:
https://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17″ MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX – Cinema Displays I have a 22″ that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.
-
Jerry Hofmann
December 20, 2010 at 10:55 am in reply to: Problems with fixing timeline edited in wrong sequenceYou’ve found the fix, perform a match frame, and replace edit on each cut… don’t think there’s a better way to do this. I think it’s the frame rate changes that cause the problem you’re seeing.
Jerry
Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: https://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann
Current DVD:
https://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17″ MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX – Cinema Displays I have a 22″ that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.
-
I sure like my IoHD…
Craig, you could use an MXO for monitoring externally.Won’t do near what the IoHD will will, but will work with your setup. However it would use the express card slot, so you’d have to give up on the idea of eSata doing it that way… the Io would allow for the eSata, and use the FW bus on your laptop.
Jerry
Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: https://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann
Current DVD:
https://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17″ MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX – Cinema Displays I have a 22″ that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.
-
Jerry Hofmann
December 19, 2010 at 12:02 am in reply to: How to use audio from all cameras in multicam editingPlace all tracks in a sequence, then just switch the video?
Jerry
Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: https://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann
Current DVD:
https://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17″ MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX – Cinema Displays I have a 22″ that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.
-
Your setup isn’t going to work to view HD externally from FCP to that monitor Deck doesn’t support HD out from FW in. You need to buy an external box for that. You really need a different Mac… one with an express card slot.
Jerry
Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: https://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann
Current DVD:
https://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17″ MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX – Cinema Displays I have a 22″ that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.