Forum Replies Created

Page 464 of 525
  • Gary Adcock

    January 4, 2006 at 11:18 pm in reply to: HVX200 capabilities made the HVR-Z1U HD Obsolete?

    [hopperHD] “It just seems like television as well as everything other genre will eventually move to HD. DV will go away, HDV will return to the orphanage and HD will become the new standard. So the question is when do I jump in and not waste my precious dinero?”

    Depends on what you do, if your a working pro, how long does it take to get return on your investment, if you hobby is video that is a different story.
    The HVX 200 offers the largest usability for video of any camera /product under $100K. 5 years is not too much for a tool to be used in a Pro market. Will there be a new model 6 months from now, I doubt it, too much went into the R&D. (has anyone noted that the manual explains how to do w firmware upgrade?)
    Will there be something else in 5 years? (insert: jan having a heart attack reading this) Who knows?
    I do not have an answer but technology keeps moving forward, sometimes slowly (evolution) or very quickly (revolution)

    Gary Adcock
    Studio37
    HD and Film Consultation
    Chicago, IL USA

  • [Ed] “Are you channeling Bob Zelin now? “

    ROTFL …
    thanks I need a good laugh.

    Ed
    actually I was posting at about the same time I did not see Jan’s post until after I have replied-
    I do not disagree with what she said, just had a different POV

    Gary Adcock
    Studio37
    HD and Film Consultation
    Chicago, IL USA

  • Gary Adcock

    January 4, 2006 at 10:00 pm in reply to: HVX200 capabilities made the HVR-Z1U HD Obsolete?

    [hopperHD] “Has the HVX200 capabilities and price made the HVR-Z1U HD obsolete for broadcast?.”

    Thats a narrow view, there need to be tools for all applications, for some the P2 workflow is more than they can wrap their head around. For others is is only about Price. I have been overjoyed using Sony HDV for mastering to SD, for that I think it looks better than 90% of the DV cameras.
    I do not however ever thought that HDV was useable for broadcast – and I make a fair amount making HDV good enough to broadcast.

    “Secondly, is 1040i on its way out. It sounds like the 720p is the more versatile format and much more desired for television.”
    I am hoping that you meant 1080i, but this too is a very narrow view, CBS, NBC, TNT,HBO all use a 1080 signal for their content, not matter how it is captured. People need to differentiate between acquisition and delivery.

    IMHO interlaced format materials are for delivery. Progressive is an acquisition format.

    Interesting to note however, that I keep see that 720p is the main spec for Hi Def DVDs.

    Gary Adcock
    Studio37
    HD and Film Consultation
    Chicago, IL USA

  • Gary Adcock

    January 4, 2006 at 8:04 pm in reply to: 1080i Only From Firwire Port!! OH NO

    [Ron Shook] “Does this mean that the 720PN modes won’t be recordable on the Firestore device and that you will need P2 cards to record these modes?”

    the way I understand it –do to the complex nature of the multiple formats available,the camera sends out a standard video steam out over FW to ‘dumb’ devices (think hard drives)

    So whatever comes out of the FW port as a video stream conforms to the standard video spec for the format you choose –same as a conventional video file you send to a tape deck.
    The spec for 720p is always 720/60 – no matter what frame rate you shot at (720/50 PAL)
    1080 will always go out as 1080i60 (1080i50 PAL)
    NTSC will always be 3O (25 for PAL version)

    Transferring data from a card via the camera to a hard drive, then it transfers the card contents as data (and is very slow)

    Devices like the firestore are “smart” and a “smart device” has the ability to receive the native data exactly as the camera sends it, so with the firestore it receives exactly the same data you are sending to the P2card. That also means that FCP will have to import it to use it.

    Gary Adcock
    Studio37
    HD and Film Consultation
    Chicago, IL USA

  • [Ed] “So you say “be careful” when someone else
    has a product that advertises the same function. Does Panasonic agree/admit that it does the same thing?”

    Most of these products are certified by the manufacturers- How is this any different than Apple insisting on certification for hardware in FCP?
    If nothing more than to maintain the highest possible workflow specs– some of these companies spend significant dollars to make sure that their products are within the specifications, and then they test the hell out of them. Just to make sure they don’t fail when you need them the most.

    So I tend to think when a MFG Rep says watch out, that to me means “buyer beware”.

    I am constantly frustrated by people that want in video everything for nothing. R+D for products like this are time consuming and expensive. I have worked in video since it was VERY VERY expensive. MY first HD suite cost over $170K for a mac, monitor, a kona card and 1T storage. Not even a deck in sight. The same basic setup with 2X the storage is now just under $20K in just under 5 years.

    There is always a penalty to be on the front of the tech curve, sometime you hit a wall when the path ends,and sometimes you get rear ended when you are not going fast enough.

    Gary Adcock
    Studio37
    HD and Film Consultation
    Chicago, IL USA

  • Gary Adcock

    January 4, 2006 at 3:47 am in reply to: Advanced Pulldown Issues

    [Bryce Whiteside] “Are you capturing discreet logged clips? Cadence errors can occur across stop/start points on the tape if the the camera was stopped and then started again.”

    Cadence errors are notorious when using capture now also. as FCP is not reading any kind of pulldown so it often stops in mid cadence — and then cannot figure out what to do.

    Gary Adcock
    Studio37
    HD and Film Consultation
    Chicago, IL USA

  • Gary Adcock

    January 3, 2006 at 7:01 pm in reply to: 1080i Only From Firwire Port!! OH NO

    [Stuart] “I Just heard from a little birdie that the HVX 200 does not, i repeat DOES NOT output any other video format other than 1080i directly from the firewire port.”

    Gee
    you need to shoot the bird.

    I have been doing 720p out and it works like a charm…

    maybe they only had 1080i footage.

    Gary Adcock
    Studio37
    HD and Film Consultation
    Chicago, IL USA

  • Gary Adcock

    January 3, 2006 at 6:12 pm in reply to: Any USB 2.0 PC Card Readers Available?

    [Daniel Weber] ” The zebra pattern level is set by the user.”

    actually the HVX200 has 2 levels of zebras that have a range that goes from 50% – 105%

    Gary Adcock
    Studio37
    HD and Film Consultation
    Chicago, IL USA

  • Gary Adcock

    January 3, 2006 at 4:39 am in reply to: It’s Q1 2006

    [David Battistella] “You guys have really nailed it. You are both so smart!”

    yeah!!!!

    Gary Adcock
    Studio37
    HD and Film Consultation
    Chicago, IL USA

  • Gary Adcock

    January 3, 2006 at 4:37 am in reply to: Noise & Y/C

    [infohou] “The Kona capture at 10bit uncompressed 4:2:2 is MUCH noisier. “
    then something is wrong, that should not ever be the case.

    [infohou] “As I mentioned in my last post, the main source for now will be a HD PVR via component that does 1080i60 and is better than I expected.”

    respect others copyright — it protects your rights as a digital artist also.

    Gary Adcock
    Studio37
    HD and Film Consultation
    Chicago, IL USA

Page 464 of 525

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy