Forum Replies Created

Page 441 of 525
  • Gary Adcock

    May 8, 2006 at 3:48 pm in reply to: 1080i HDCAM Footage -> DVCPROHD Output

    [Brent Altomare] “Going SDI out, when I have my FCP Easy Setup set to KONA2 – 1080 23.98, I get garbage on the deck. When I set it to KONA2 – 1080 29.97, I get picture and audio, but it introduces the pulldown to the image.”

    Brent I have been lurking on this so let me get this straight
    You have a 1080 24psf project you need to lay to a DVCPROHD tape.

    I was not aware that any deck but the D5 can capture the HDCAM 1080 24psf as true 24p.( meaning that it only records the 24 actual frames)

    I am not positive, but I believe that the 1080 on DVCPROHD tape is only supported as a 1080i60 video stream which is not the same as the 1080 24psf as shot by HDCam. (24psf plays back on most all displays and systems as 48i)

    Note that the 1700 and D5 decks can Playback tapes as a true 1080p24 signal (progressive) rather than the regular
    1080 24psf ( progressive segmented frame) that most systems use.

    ( Steve M is this correct?)

    gary adcock
    Studio37
    HD & Film Consultation
    Post and Production Workflows
    Chicago, IL
    gary@studio37.com

  • Gary Adcock

    May 8, 2006 at 3:19 pm in reply to: Recording to FS-100 and archiving

    [Randolph] “I am looking for a safe , in the field archiving solution. I believe I can connect a SATA 2 RAID to my PowerBook using the new SeriTek/2ENSM2 from FirmTek, which is supposed to ship this coming week. It is a dual hard drive enclosure bundled with an eSATA to PCMCIA adapter. I have 2 500GB SATA II Seagate drives to put in the enclosure.”

    building your own array and “safe field archiving” in the same paragraph do not instill anything but fear into me.

    Do not plan a system based on any product that is not shipping when you are in the planning stages. Being on the front end of the tech curve when you are alone on location is not a very good idea. – If the cards are too expensive for your budget fine. But “safe” and “build your own” are writ with strife and danger.
    Buy a name drive and pay for that with support and a guarantee.
    SATA on PCA cards is still too new to be trusted unless you are a true gear head.
    FW is around and proven for this usage and a lot less hassle.

    gary adcock
    Studio37
    HD & Film Consultation
    Post and Production Workflows
    Chicago, IL
    gary@studio37.com

  • [Bob Zelin] “It is amazing to me that you want to plug your AJA box – OR ANY PROFESSIONAL audio device (like a VTR) directly into a powered speaker. “

    I agree,
    I did not realize the Tannoy’s being referred to were self powered.

    gary adcock
    Studio37
    HD & Film Consultation
    Post and Production Workflows
    Chicago, IL
    gary@studio37.com

  • Gary Adcock

    May 7, 2006 at 12:26 am in reply to: Good stuff from NAB

    [walter biscardi] “You can literally play back a shot within seconds of it happening. Excellent for live TV or live events.”

    Yes
    this was the app that Peter Wiggins used in conjunction with FCP for his Tour de France project last year.

    gary adcock
    Studio37
    HD & Film Consultation
    Post and Production Workflows
    Chicago, IL
    gary@studio37.com

  • Gary Adcock

    May 6, 2006 at 4:15 pm in reply to: DV-PAL

    [Christopher Koch] “I only have SYS menu items 12 through 26. Does that mean the deck is missing an essential component?”

    Sad but I believe that is true.
    you would need to have both the HDSDI and FW boards to be able to do the Down-conversion via FW

    gary adcock
    Studio37
    HD & Film Consultation
    Post and Production Workflows
    Chicago, IL
    gary@studio37.com

  • [Milestone] “but I may have to work on a Varicam shoot next Tuesday. Can anyone point me to some ready reference material I can review to see how the settings and menus differ from Sony’s?”

    the best reference is Robert Goodman’s guide to the Varicam.
    the rental house near you should have a copy.

    gary adcock
    Studio37
    HD & Film Consultation
    Post and Production Workflows
    Chicago, IL
    gary@studio37.com

  • Gary Adcock

    May 6, 2006 at 3:52 pm in reply to: DV-PAL

    [Christopher Koch] “How can I digitize to DV-PAL from original footage shot at 720p25? I cannot go firewire from a Panasonic 1200A deck. All it will let me do is digitize at DVC-PRO HD 720p60”

    The 1200 a deck will do either PAL or NTSC downconvets with the all of the options installed.

    the when SYS 030 MENU is set to 0001 the deck will do 25fps frame rates properly
    the 023 menus needs to be set to the output format you want to record.

    gary adcock
    Studio37
    HD & Film Consultation
    Post and Production Workflows
    Chicago, IL
    gary@studio37.com

  • [Khashyar Darvich] “I had the audio output on the Mac set to the Kona card, but I would assume that there would be some way of having better control of the audio level from the Kona card, since having the Mac audio level set to about 5% seems too low to acheive a normal sound level.”

    Update your Kona Driver!!

    that will add a check box in the Kona Control panel to match the Kona audio outs to “unity”

    gary adcock
    Studio37
    HD & Film Consultation
    Post and Production Workflows
    Chicago, IL
    gary@studio37.com

  • [Shane Ross] “True. HDCAM you will have to capture with a capture card at one of the cards codecs. Yes, you will lose quality, but nothing that anyone would be able to tell.”

    My kona boards capture DVCPROHD via HDSDI without loss when compared to the FW signal from the same tape.
    That makes capturing 1080 DVCPROHD my choice when working in FCP from HDCam.

    gary adcock
    Studio37
    HD & Film Consultation
    Post and Production Workflows
    Chicago, IL
    gary@studio37.com

  • Gary Adcock

    May 6, 2006 at 3:31 pm in reply to: Break in cadence Varicam 24P

    [Dannypla] “When I look on the capture scratch there is no clip capture although the break in cadence doesn’t happen until 20 minutes into the tape.”

    Capture Now is not smart enough to handle what you are doing,
    Follow Shane’s advice — but when you get to the problem area Capture that content in smaller clips as 59.94 then run the software frame rate converter to get the proper frame rate. My guess is the camera man did not give you enough headroom for a frame rate change.

    gary adcock
    Studio37
    HD & Film Consultation
    Post and Production Workflows
    Chicago, IL
    gary@studio37.com

Page 441 of 525

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy