I agree that you should find a camera that does true 25P as opposed to just throwing away a field in hardware.
Then again, if I have to choose between throwing away a field, thus sacrificing vertical res. or keeping 50i interlaced video…
I’ll go for fake 25P any day.
I’ve really had arguments with music video editors in the past who just wouldn’t do it.
They wanted to keep the 50i… “because it’s sharper”
But hey: we’re not making the 8 o’ clock news, we’re making a music video…. 😎
It doesn’t hurt to have the best method of ‘throwing away’ you can get, and reelsmart certainly is a good option.
BTW: working in PAL it can become very confusing to hear all those 24P stories from the NTSC world flying around, and how “Pulldown-ing” that is supposed to be the holy grail of fake Filmlook.
Truth is, in PAL, practically all 24P (film stock) stuff is just sped up to conform to 25 fps.
So there’s no harm in shooting 25 instead of 24, au contraire, I would say it’s better to shoot 25 if you know you’re going to PAL.