[WrathWielder] “1) Scene detection – both by CONTENT and TIMECODE…I load up a DV AVI in VMS and for the life of me I can’t find anywhere to have it detect scenes. In S9 I just hit the spacebar and it gave me a thumbnail for each “event”. In VMS will I be forced to do this manually by watching the video?”
You can do scene detections based on starts/stops of your camera if the clock is set in the camera. It’s an option in the preferences in the capture program.
[WrathWielder] “2) I can’t get this whole transition thing down in VMS…can it really be this difficult?
All I want to do it put a transition between 2 events where the audio from the A side fades out and the audio on the B side fades in while the video transition is doing it’s thing.”
It’s even easier in VMS, just overlap the two events on the same track. If you want something other than a crossfade, drag the desired transition onto the overlap.
[WrathWielder] “If I’m forced to overlap the tracks to get the transitions to work, how can I have the audio NOT crossfade but just fade out/in at the split?”
You will need to shorten the audio of each event (use the “Ignore Event Grouping” button to leave the video alone) and then manually add the fades. For my editing, I usually WANT the audio to fade from one to the other.
Another option would be to get the full version of Vegas and use a script to perform the exact operation you want.
[WrathWielder] “In S9 I would do quick videos by capturing into a DV file, detecting scene changes (either by content or timecode), dragging each of these detected scenes to the timeline so all that was there were thumbnails for each scene.
Then I would drag a transition between each thumbnail and burn away!”
With the full version of Vegas and scripting, you can write a script to do all the above at the push of a button.
Edward Troxel
