Forum Replies Created
-
Do the whole enchalada. Actualy they all came with new discs anyway, at least they did on my crossgrade. The entire Studio has been rewritten in universal binary code and all future upgrades will be in that code. Its worth the time to know that you have the complete compatible set installed and working together.
-
[Trevor Ward] “1. how do you upconvert once it’s all captured? Capture as normal, new sequence that is 10bit, then place clips and render?
Yes!
2. Is there an advantage of upconverting to 10bit since the footage came from a miniDV camera at 25mb stream? Is the purpose for going to broadcast quality? Or is it better for big screen projection? If only going to DVD, does it do anything at all since it gets compressed again?”
There would be no advantage to me if thats all I was doing, but, in this case about two thirds of the project is comprised of DaVinci color corrected 10-bit uncompressed and the other third, the new material, is DV thats ultimately going to be color corrected on the DaVinci. Plus there are graphics and animated still photos that I’d also like at 10-bit. As an example of that, we have a book cover with red text that was looking horrible in when compressed to DV. Now, after I replaced the same graphic in the 10-bit timeline, its stunning. The difference in that one graphic made me determined to do them all.
So, in this case, the workflow I’ve decided upon is to copy everything from the DV timeline to a 10-bit timeline, and now I’m going through the entire project and match framing to the source and replacing all 10-bit video, graphics, and stills. Its actually not as horrible as it sounds… Its only taken me a couple of hours to get half way through the entire 86-minute timeline. Perhaps I should have edited the entire project in 10-bit throughout, but the downside would have been either, lots of rendering or lots and lots of drive space.
DRW
-
Jeff,
If you crossgarde to FCP 5.1 and then install the 5.1.1 update that will help. Lost of things in Compressor have been fixed.
DRW
-
Mark,
The Epson R220 or R320 inkjets are the best bang for the buck in my opinion. Everyone I know that makes under 100 at a time uses them. Why get anything else? The printed discs are clear and colorful, the software that comes with printers is simple and infallable, the discs are dry and ready to go instantly, and so long as you don’t drool or cry on them they’re wonderful.
DRW
-
That is true, but at least I won’t be capturing material additional that, with Media Manager involved, might be somewhat different than what I’m desiring.
-
Thanks Shane,
That’s what I was hoping to hear, as redigitizing would require more time and drive space than I’m wishing to invest at his point.
DRW
-
As Kevin says Boris 3D really is the one to use. My guess is that you may not be using it correctly. Take a few minutes to read the online help, as it is vastly superior and actually much easier than the basic text generator. BTW, some fonts are simply not available to the text generators and they will not change when you attempt to do so.
DRW
-
Call the support folks at the number on their website. Flip4MAC has very nice and attentive support personnel.
-
Boris 3D is the FCP titler in your kit that everyone uses, and you need to drag each title from the viewer to a bin if you desire to save it somewhere other than the timeline. Its not so bad.
-
Kristian,
I sent you the FCP crash log. And, I’ve installed the latest 5.6.2 drivers, but the problem persists. It really hates to stop from reverse playback. Its pretty tempermental and I’m losing work unless I save after every edit — not exactly happy editing.
Please feel free to email at drw at drwfilms dot com with anything from this point if you wish.
THNX,
DRW