Forum Replies Created

Page 1129 of 1228
  • David Roth weiss

    July 24, 2006 at 2:50 am in reply to: DVCPro HD issue – cross-posted to FCP Forum

    Kristian,

    Just like you to be on the job 24/7 even on Sunday…

    Here’s the deal, after more testing I decided to turn off the External Display completely to see if I could make the machine crash if I tried. After trying very hard I was unable to make it crash. So, I think its fair to say that we need to look closely at what’s going on between the machine and my Extreme card.

    [Kristian Lam] “What version of drivers do you have installed?”

    I’m running the BM 5.6 drivers. I just saw that there are new 5.6.2 drivers available. Should I try installing them?

    [Kristian Lam] “can you send us a copy of the crash log?”
    If I can figure out how to do that I’ll send it right away for you guys to evaluate.

    THNX,
    DRW

  • Thanks so much Sean,

    You helped me big time by giving me a simple idea. I completely turned off the External Video and tried like heck to crash FCP. Nothing I could do would make it crash. So, now I know the problem lies somewhere on the Blackmagic side of things. Even though its Sunday, Kristian over at Blackmagic has already answered my post, and now with your help it looks like I can give them more definitive info to help them figure out what exactly is causing the issue.

    BTW, an insider at the place where you and I get our SATA enclosures advised me to avoid the brand of hard drives you and I discussed last week until certain issues are resolved.

    Thanks again…

    DRW

  • David Roth weiss

    July 23, 2006 at 11:07 pm in reply to: Grainy

    There are grain removal plugins available for FCP as well as tools in After Effects and Combustion, but these are tools meant to remove film grain that typically shows up in flat areas (sky etc.) and in BG plates for improving visual efx work. Grain removal tools have limited effect in the situation like your own as the noise created when gain is cranked up is everywhere in the frame. Blurring the blue channel can often improve the situation somewhat, but its not ever going to make a silk purse from a sow’s ear as they say. You might try searching this forum for a post from Ron Lindeboom, who wrote about the blue channel blur thing in the past three weeks.

    Good luck…

  • David Roth weiss

    July 23, 2006 at 1:29 am in reply to: 10-bit FCP to DVD problem

    Michael,

    Vexing is a good choice of words for times when science seems to become illogical. Let me know when you figure out whats going on, I have an insatiable thirst for solutions to these kinds of issues.

    DRW

  • David Roth weiss

    July 23, 2006 at 1:07 am in reply to: 10-bit FCP to DVD problem

    Michael,

    It would seem to me that if the tape from the online facility is perfect, then your recapture from the tape must somehow be imperfect, or settings in Compressor have been changed from the standard preset. Those are about the only two variables I can see. Compressor doesn’t make changes to 10-bit in my system.

    DRW

  • David Roth weiss

    July 23, 2006 at 12:36 am in reply to: 10-bit FCP to DVD problem

    [Michael Colin] “Same project, onlined in 10-bit uncompressed”

    Michael,

    Online on what system and what platform???

    DRW

  • David Roth weiss

    July 21, 2006 at 6:20 pm in reply to: FW 800

    Joslyn,

    If you want a firewire raid as fast as a SATA raid you’ll have to buy it from Walter, he has the only ones in existence that are comparible. If he won’t sell to you then you’ll most likely have to settle for SATA for the best performance like everyone else. SATA write speeds are nearly 3X that of the very fastest firewire 800, and this holds true for single drives and raid configurations. See the benchmark tests at http://www.barefeats.com/hard35.html

  • David Roth weiss

    July 21, 2006 at 2:58 pm in reply to: Video tidbits

    Mike,

    The Orson Wells quote is outstanding.

    As for Gwyneth Paltrow’s quote, she left out something… It may be hard to make a good movie from a bad script, but, its also easy to make a bad movie from a good script. Hollywood seems to manage both feats more and more each year.

    DRW

  • David Roth weiss

    July 21, 2006 at 2:46 pm in reply to: FW 800

    Shane is saying that 10-bit uncompressed is pushing the limits of any 2-drive raid.

  • David Roth weiss

    July 21, 2006 at 2:43 pm in reply to: FW 800

    [walter biscardi] “SATA is now a viable option as well for 8bit Uncompressed.”

    Not only viable, but better…

Page 1129 of 1228

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy