Forum Replies Created

Page 120 of 254
  • Chris Poisson

    July 26, 2007 at 1:37 pm in reply to: OT: How do my titles look?

    Alexander,

    These critique questions are always tough, but here goes. To start with, your setting is wrong, a lake is not an ocean, which is where the book happened. Unless there’s a comedic or other reason to do this, it doesn’t work. I do like the idea of never showing the tiger, or, the camera is the tiger, but your structure for doing this needs a bit of work. Tough, tough thing to pull off.

    The titles do look less than polished. The first one looks like a mistake, your pivot point is not in the center, so your roll looks fake. The other titles look better, but your center-out wipe looks weird, not even like something you can get in Live Type, which is better for all it’s shortcomings. These titles also look like 3D but not quite, if you know what I mean. There are some great 3D tutorials dealing with text right here, unfortunately I think they’re down right now.

    Since you asked about looking professional, instead of experimenting with new techniques, do something tried and true, it’s much better to just bring the titles on with a fade, maybe grow a little or track or move slightly, but just a little, less is more.

    The last titles suffers from a total cliche, a bad lens flare. Save those for an infomercial, very hard to do these without a cheese factor. Hope this helps…

  • Chris Poisson

    July 19, 2007 at 5:31 pm in reply to: 1950’s spinning newspaper effect

    I’ve just used the rotation tools in the motion tab for this, works pretty well, add a little scale up and some motion blur, and you’re set. About 4 rotations in a half second should do it. You might want to add the MB later, as it is a major render hog.

  • Chris Poisson

    July 19, 2007 at 1:53 pm in reply to: Best format for high quality streaming video

    Seth,

    Why do you make flv files, why not swf? The way I understand it, flv is the part of an swf that makes it play, you’re saying the flv’s work on there own? What about controllers?

    I am in this same boat, trying to cope with going to Flash on my Web site, one big problem with using Squeeze or Episode is that you get no controllers, and after all, interactivity is one of the main advantages of Flash. Are there any scripts or plugins available to put controllers in with these apps?

    I created and maintain my site with Freeway Pro, which gives options of controllers for Quicktime and to Windows to some extent, but with Flash files, if you didn’t build in a controller, you’re SOL.

    This subject has sparked many discussions here and over on the AE forum at Adobe, outside of using Flash itself or a program called Flix Pro to encode the Flash files, if you want a controller no go.

    Suggesting I change to Dreamweaver or other Website builder is not an option for me at present.

    This is a huge issue for me, otherwise I would have changed everything to Flash long ago.

  • Chris Poisson

    July 18, 2007 at 5:44 pm in reply to: OT-Apple in Best Buy

    Hmmm,

    Comp USA was the first thing I thought of after reading Walter’s original post, ’cause their stores here had Apple Stores in them for a while now. I say “had,” because all CompUSA stores in Arizona closed a couple months ago, except one I think. Great stores, too.

  • Chris Poisson

    July 15, 2007 at 11:41 pm in reply to: G5 or not G5, that is the question

    FWIW Walter, ProRes works on my G5 2 gig, I just can’t run other apps at the same time or it drops frames. I’m using native HDV 1080i in ProRes timelines. Can’t capture it though…

  • Chris Poisson

    July 10, 2007 at 2:48 pm in reply to: COW Tutorials: Apple Color Auto Balance Feature

    Walter, sorry your excellent sharing had to be diminished by religious comment, of all things. This is not the place for that.

    Give us more! (tutorials, that is!)

  • The inclusion of SDI for ingest in this workflow will not add quality to your HDV footage.

    I don’t think you would see any difference in quality by using your native HDV captured via Firewire and working in a DVCproHD sequence. There are boatloads of discussions on this right here and in the HDV forum. I have been doing it this way for a couple of months and the quality is outstanding.

  • Chris Poisson

    July 7, 2007 at 2:19 pm in reply to: FCP can’t see Z1
  • Chris Poisson

    July 5, 2007 at 2:30 pm in reply to: 1/2 hour show length

    Oh geeze, then it’s exactly like an informercial sans the CTA’s. Doh!

    What about an UN-sponsored show that would air on PBS, how long is that?

  • Chris Poisson

    July 5, 2007 at 2:29 pm in reply to: To compress…or not to compress…

    Becky,

    Why in the world would you not have captured DV via FireWire going into this? You would be done, short of perhaps rendering to an uncompressed codec to preserve your graphics. Re-capturing via the Kona will buy you nothing, If your clips are indeed DV then you were onlining from the beginning anyway.

Page 120 of 254

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy