Forum Replies Created

Page 137 of 242
  • Andy Mees

    September 25, 2008 at 3:01 pm in reply to: EX3 codec for FCP 6.1

    >You can get it when installing the XDCAM Transfer Software.

    No true Rafael, the codec for the EX series is part of the FCP 6.0.2 update, specifically it is the AppleHDVCodec.component Version: 1.4 (v218).

    > I’m using 6.1 but the QTs will not play picture, saying I am missing a codec

    Danielle, FCP 6.1 isn’t released, I’m guessing you mean you have FCP 6.0.1 … if you don’t have FCP 6.03 or above installed then you won’t have the codec. You need to run Software Update.

  • Andy Mees

    September 20, 2008 at 1:06 pm in reply to: Creating international textless elements

    >We had one international network insist that we deliver all audio to peak at no higher than -16db.

    Yep, and bizarrely 2 years on that same network is still asking for delivery at -16db … strange but true. I had a couple of beers with the transmission manager recently and he agreed wholeheartedly that it was stupid. Inertia 🙁

  • Andy Mees

    September 20, 2008 at 1:43 am in reply to: Creating international textless elements

    I too prefer full textless for delivery but I guess what I like isn’t the important thing!
    Check with the network you’re delivering to … many already specify that they require a full clean textless version, not textless elements, and you could fail QC due to supplying the wrong deliverables.
    If and when creating textless elements always find the closest cut in vision before and after the texted element. Never just cut into or out of a shot halfway through, always find a clean cut.

  • Andy Mees

    September 20, 2008 at 1:28 am in reply to: FCP HD Monitoring?

    Joe

    I’d think as yet the MXO2 for color critical monitoring to an HDM display is not widely tested and I’d advise holding fire on that one for the moment (unless your needs are more for its I/O capabilities and you already have a monitoring setup for HD-SDI).

    If you were solely looking for an affordable/accurate HD monitoring solution then the original MXO would still be a good buy, as its ability to generate accurate color on a (relatively) low priced LCD is already tried and tested.

    Cheers
    Andy

  • Andy Mees

    September 19, 2008 at 2:44 am in reply to: Text Crawl Limit

    The problem is that some text functions supported by the FxScript programming architecture (and those used by Boris too it would seem) are simply exposing calls to functions within the Carbon API (Application Programming Interface) which is limited to 32K processing … and what that boils down to as far as we’re concerned with Text Crawls is that the maximum width for any text string is 32K pixels. How many characters you can display therefore depends on the resolution of your sequence and the point size of the text. Bummer, but there you are. Its a hard limitation I’m afraid.

    If it helps I have a free FxScript plug that you’re welcome to use that offers fixed rate Text Crawls ie you set the speed you want it to crawl and away it goes ie its not dependent on the duration of the text generator in the timeline. If you’re stringing a few crawls together to give the appearance of a single longer crawl then it would help to maintain a fixed crawl rate else the illusion of a single crawl will be broken.

    https://web.me/com/andymees

  • Andy Mees

    September 19, 2008 at 2:26 am in reply to: globally changing length of clips

    select them all, right click the selection and choose Duration, set the duration as 2 secs

  • Sorry to say that I’ve had the same experience with CHV in the past ie somewhat less than instant delivery of serials following purchase. Good filters but not recommend as an impulse buy for a pressing need.

  • Andy Mees

    September 10, 2008 at 9:50 am in reply to: Firewire live direct into FCP

    not sure if you can get live firewire out when in HD record mode, but you can certainly do so in DV record mode … down side for anyone in PAL land, there is a bug in the camera firmware that causes live firewire output to always conform to 30 fps (not 25 fps) so you get NASTY results

  • Andy Mees

    September 10, 2008 at 7:26 am in reply to: How do I import footage shot on a Sony XE 1

    >It is called: “Log and Transfer Utility for MAC Version 1.00” … If that is the case I’m psyched, because I’m used to using the Log&Transfer tool.

    Yes. This is allows you to use Apple’s built in Log and Transfer interface to select and transfer your media from the EX1. The files are rewrapped as quicktime movies during the transfer process but the essence (the image data) is not changed.

    First though, if you’ve not already done so, you need to install the SxS driver so that the card media can be mounted to your hard disc / recognized by your computer.

    You’re also recommended to use Sony’s own XDCAM Transfer application for the Log and Transfer process to FCP … its very easy to use and far more flexible and capable a tool than FCP’s L&T interface. It would be worth the trouble getting to know it if you expect to work with more XDCAM footage in the future.

    You can download the SxS Diver here
    The XDCAM Transfer app here
    and there is a workflow overview here

  • Andy Mees

    September 10, 2008 at 5:16 am in reply to: Title safe in 16:9 & 4:3

    you have to copy it to /Library/Application Support/Final Cut Pro System Support/Plugins
    then then next time you launch FCP it will show up in Effects > Video Generators > Andy’s Guides

Page 137 of 242

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy