Forum Replies Created

Page 1389 of 1462
  • Walter Biscardi

    July 8, 2005 at 11:41 pm in reply to: Whats the skinny on FCP5?

    The big thing about FCP 5 is the frame accuracy on edit to tape. FCP 4.5 can slip a few frames one way or another during an Edit to Tape. FCP 5 seems to be rock solid with frame accuracy on the Edit to Tape.

    DVCPro HD codec performance is definitely improved and the overall operation is snappier over FCP 4.5. We’ve taken both of our systems up to 10.4.1 and FCP 5.0 and so far so good. Some crashes to be sure and other weird issues, but we’re cutting a pretty simple series right now, so we’re working around any weirdness. Looking forward to an update from Apple.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • Walter Biscardi

    July 8, 2005 at 11:39 pm in reply to: DV Deck

    [Kevin Monahan] “It also has no TC or any display at all.”

    Sure, it displays via the NTSC monitor just fine.

    [Kevin Monahan] “That being said, the DSR-11 is pretty popular with low budget and corporate producers. I just know that there are better decks out there, you just have to spend more.”

    Just depends on what you need. I have the deck here because DVCAM is only a small part of my workflow so most of my money is invested in Beta, DigiBeta and High Def. So for my shop, the DSR-11 is a perfect deck for those times when I need a DV or DVCAM deck. The other machines are nice because of the “extras” but I don’t need any of that.

    As for the client, I can’t remember the last time a client was impressed because we had such a such a machine in the shop. They never look at the TC displays so it doesn’t matter and the machines aren’t even in the same room as the client. So as for impressing a client, the suite and the editor is going to impress the client a lot more than tape deck.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • Walter Biscardi

    July 8, 2005 at 7:39 pm in reply to: Aftermarket RAM

    [Drizzt_G] “Did you take out the original RAMs???”

    Yep, I ordered both of my G5’s with minimum RAM and replaced them with 4GB and 3GB RAM from Crucial in each. For the Powerbook, I replaced the Apple RAM with 1GB.

    The G4 is an older machine, so I simply added more RAM without removing the Apple RAM.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • How come this function doesn’t come in Chocolate Chip?

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • Walter Biscardi

    July 8, 2005 at 7:28 pm in reply to: Aftermarket RAM

    http://www.crucial.com

    That’s the only RAM I run in my two G5’s, Powerbook and G4 tower. Outstanding product and as you noted, cheaper than Apple’s RAM.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • Walter Biscardi

    July 8, 2005 at 10:42 am in reply to: Uncompressed

    [Michael] “I want to dump to Digibeta deck but would like the HD option for later.”

    Look at the AJA Kona 2. Outstanding quality with SD / HD on the same card along with downconvert and upconvert in realtime. I’m running that card here and just added a second unit to our shop.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • Walter Biscardi

    July 8, 2005 at 4:31 am in reply to: FCP5 and exporting MPEG2

    Not here either. Hopefully this will be fixed with the first update to FCP.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • Walter Biscardi

    July 8, 2005 at 1:41 am in reply to: DV Deck

    I’ll second the nod on the DSR-11. Mine’s been a champ for two years now. Playback and record both DV and DVCAM. Great deck.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • Walter Biscardi

    July 8, 2005 at 1:30 am in reply to: Uncompressed

    [Michael] “After reading several Cow posts I have come to the conclusion
    that a DV project can be rendered out Uncompressed QT
    then brought into a 10bit Uncompressed project and titles added.”

    You don’t need to export the DV Sequence as an uncompressed file at all. Simply perform your main edit in a DV Sequence. Then create a new Sequence and set the preset for 10bit uncompressed.

    Now do one of two things:
    Do a Copy All from your DV Timeline and Paste into the Uncompressed timeline. This will simply copy your entire edit right into the Uncompressed timeline leaving all your edits intact. Then you need to move all of your clips down one vertical line so they play cleanly in the uncompressed sequence. You want the Center setting to read 0,1 in the Motion tab.

    Or, simply drag the DV Sequence into the Uncompressed Sequence (like a nest) and then simply move the nest down 1 scan line.

    Either way, add your titles and then render out the full timeline in one shot.

    As Jerry notes, you need to have very fast drives to run uncompressed 10bit. I run a Fibrechannel array from Medea.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • Walter Biscardi

    July 7, 2005 at 11:56 am in reply to: 1200A black dropouts during recording

    [Chris Bell] “If you are recording out via firewire, this is a known issue.”

    Nope, no Firewire in the mix and I’ve heard about this issue.

    We had a Varicam feeding the HD-SDI Input of the 1200A and then feeding the Component HD output to a Sony PVM20L5/1 and the Composite SD downconvert to an SD deck. Black dropouts appeared on both outputs.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Page 1389 of 1462

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy