Forum Replies Created

Page 1390 of 1462
  • Walter Biscardi

    July 6, 2005 at 7:02 pm in reply to: 130 vs 1200a

    [Steve Mahrer] “Joking aside, please understand that the process for actualy recording on tape is very different between true editing and the this quaisi-Crash Assemble process, the record light may light up, the tape may play okay, yet it’s not a 100% safe edit. I just wanted to reitterate the difference….”

    Steve, I understand that it’s not a perfectly clean edit and you would never want to make an edit within a master. All I’m trying to point out is that the machine does perform an Assemble Edit with Final Cut Pro and it’s quite accurate. How it actually performs the edit / crash, I’m not overly worried about that because it happens prior to the show.

    I never attempt to perform Insert or Assemble edits within a Tape Master anyway. I’ve never trusted any NLE to do this perfectly so why bother, it’s usually easier to simply remaster the entire project so you’re assured of a nice clean pass.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • Walter Biscardi

    July 6, 2005 at 6:53 pm in reply to: FCP5 has built in 1200 deck control?

    Well thought out Mike.

    As I’ve noted before, for strictly capture, the SDI and Firewire captures are identical.

    For Filters / Rendering, etc…. the differences between the uncompressed SDI timeline and the Firewire timeline are barely visible depending on what the footage is. In some cases, there is no visible difference between the SDI workflow and the Firewire workflow. DVCPro HD is a very very clean format, even working in the native codec.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • Walter Biscardi

    July 6, 2005 at 6:42 pm in reply to: 130 vs 1200a

    [Steve Mahrer] “What your doing is okay as you’re laying off the entire show as one piece, that’s like a hard record function. My worries are that folks are trying to assemble their masters in pieces, they’ll layoff a minutes of so, return and add another clip after that, and so on. The overlaps where the old and new material meets is where the problem of high error rates occur, that’s where flying erase heads etc are required to ensure a clean edit.”

    Absolutely correct. I guess I should clarify that I am laying off an entire episode in one pass. Edit In Point starts at 00:59:00:00 and ends at the end of the show.

    If there are any issues with the Mastering, I start the edit again from the beginning, I do NOT perform any Assemble edits within a show.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • Walter Biscardi

    July 6, 2005 at 6:40 pm in reply to: 130 vs 1200a

    [Dale West] “Walter, is this the “editing” you are talking about or do you do something else. Our editor has not be able to fool the 1200a into thinking it can edit. I would love to hear how you do it. At least a crash edit in the black section would be tolorable.”

    Nope. I preset the timecode to 00:58:30:00. Black the first 45 seconds of the tape.

    In Final Cut Pro, I set the In Point in my Timeline to 00:59:00:00. In the Edit To Tape function of Final Cut Pro I set the In Point of the 1200A to 00:59:00:00. I then perform an Assemble Edit. Works perfectly everytime using Firewire control.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • [heimchen] “Do i have to install 10.3.9 and then the bundle and then update to Tiger ???. Any quick help appreciated.”

    Nope, do a clean install of Tiger, run Software Update to update everything in the OS and Quicktime. Then install FCP Studio.

    If the old serial number is giving you a problem, call Apple for help on the installation. I’ve installed both my copies of FCP Studio on the two machines here (one upgrade copy, one full copy) and installation was normal on both.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • Walter Biscardi

    July 6, 2005 at 12:24 pm in reply to: Up convert on Capture

    [Jerry Hofmann] “but how does the terranex box look? Is the material still a bit soft? I can’t wait until this box is less than 20k… I might be a player..”

    The upconvert through a terranex looks perfect, not soft at all. Looks like the project was shot in HD.

    You need to go to a facility to perform the upconvert for you as the terranex is over $100k. Here in Atlanta we have a superb facility, CineFilm, which handles accounts from all over the world. They do film to tape, tape to film and upconvert / downconvert.

    http://www.cinefilmlab.com

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • Walter Biscardi

    July 6, 2005 at 11:12 am in reply to: Up convert on Capture

    [Jerry Hofmann] “I’d compare the two if possible. I’m not sure about the decklink card, but do know that the Kona 2 does this… but don’t expect miracles… SD upconverted isn’t going to knock your socks off… it’s soft.”

    Kona 2’s upconvert has gotten cleaner with the new 1.1.2 driver released yesterday. Still not perfect, but cleaner.

    A Terranex does the cleanest upconvert right now. It’s a perfect upconvert.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • Walter Biscardi

    July 6, 2005 at 2:27 am in reply to: BETA SP TAPES TO DIGITAL

    Get yourself an external box like the AJA Io LA which allows you to capture uncompressed via Firewire 400.

    Or you can opt for an internal capture card like the AJA Kona or Aurora Pipe series.

    Really Good quality is the Apple 8bit uncompressed. Best quality is the Apple 10bit uncompressed. Although Aurora has even better 8bit and 10 bit codecs. You’ll need at least a Firewire 800 drive to capture uncompressed resolutions.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • Are you running the latest QT 7.0.1 update? I thought I heard that this was a quicktime issue and the .1 update fixed many of the problems with still images.

    So far all of my graphics are coming in very cleanly to FCP 5.0.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • The improvement to the upconverter is definitely noticeable. Nice work!

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Page 1390 of 1462

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy