Forum Replies Created

Page 1388 of 1462
  • in order to help folks on this forum, it’s most helpful to fill out your profile, especially your entire computer system(s) information. You can view my profile as an example.

    I have no advice to give unless I have an understanding of your entire hardware and software setup.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • Walter Biscardi

    July 9, 2005 at 9:44 pm in reply to: Where did my effects bin go?

    Window > Effects

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • Walter Biscardi

    July 9, 2005 at 3:36 pm in reply to: Kona2 purchase: Final questions

    Glad to help Ron. Feel free to contact me direct, either by phone or email, as you make your switch. As you’re well aware, I ran CineWave for about three years and have been on the K2 since December. So I can probably answer most of your transitional questions.

    FCP 5 is basically stable but definitely some weird things are “broken” in the interface and you may get some corruption in projects. I’ve been able to address all the quirks so far and I’m really hoping Apple is going to release an update sometime soon. FCP 5 is definitely one of the buggiest .0 releases I’ve seen from Apple. But nothing so far to bring a session to a halt.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • Walter Biscardi

    July 9, 2005 at 2:36 pm in reply to: Beware of Kona colour issues FCP 5 and HD

    I’m not seeing that here with DVCPro HD footage.

    I’ve seen issues like this in the past with CineWave and if I recall correctly, it turned out to be a Quicktime issue.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • Walter Biscardi

    July 9, 2005 at 2:20 pm in reply to: Kona2 purchase: Final questions

    [Ron] “1) Is Kona2 and IOLA Tiger/FCP5 compatable?”

    The Kona 2 certainly is. We’re cutting a broadcast series on our system here for about two or three weeks so far. Only a few crashes to date. Some weirdness with FCP 5, but workarounds are easy.

    [Ron] ”
    2) I need to maintain analog connectivity. When I capture using the IO, will I be able to edit and monitor via Kona2?
    And output via SDI on Kona2? Or route A/V to LA to make VHS approval copies, or DVCAM/BetaSP masters? In other words: can I route and monitor audio/video easily between Kona and LA as needed?”

    Yep, there’s been discussions on this forum about capturing via Io and monitoring via K2. Also, keep in mind that the K-Box on the Kona 2 has a Composite Video output and Unbalanced RCA Audio outputs which you can connect directly to a VHS machine as well.

    [Ron] “3) On the same topic of question 2, if I’m editing/monitoring Kona2, are the outputs on the iOLA “hot”? Can I make SDI and analog masters at the same time?”

    Not sure on simultaneously with the LA but they are on the Kona 2. Component, Composite and SDI are all hot on the way out with the K2 so you should be able to do this directly from the K2. I think this would actually be an FCP thing since you set the audio / video destination from within FCP.

    [Ron] “4) Is everyone using Flying Cow DA for audio, or is the K-Box analog outputs enough for monitoring and mastering to analog.
    (I have a Mackie1402 which I use to route audio to various decks and equipment).”

    I use the Flying Cow to monitor the AES/EBU audio out of the K-Box and then run the Analog outs to my Mackie board for monitoring.

    [Ron] “5) Multicodec support? Can Kona2 playback DVCPRO50 and other compressed formats natively? Or do I now have to capture this using the uncompressed codecs? I’ve been able to save a TON of space using Cinewave’s multicodec timelines.”

    Yep, you can capture / playback to any codec from DV, DVCPro 50, DVCPro HD, etc….. All the presets are provided by AJA.

    [Ron] “6) Similar to question 5, if I run a DV timeline or a DVCPRO timeline, can I monitor and master via Kona2?”

    Yep, what I do is do an Easy Setup for DV (or DVCPro if you wish), then change the Audio / Video output to the Kona 2. You get realtime video / audio output.

    CineWave to Kona 2 is pretty much a seamless transition and you get the added benefit of true HD on-board without the additional $5,000 breakout box. 🙂

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • Walter Biscardi

    July 9, 2005 at 11:59 am in reply to: Clips digitized with out of sync sound

    Either you’re watching / listening to the wrong sources like Kevin mentioned, or your Playback Offset is not set correctly for your system. On most DV systems, playback offset is set to 4. If it sounds like it’s four frame off, check the offset, if it’s set to 0, change it to 4.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • Walter Biscardi

    July 9, 2005 at 11:57 am in reply to: FCP and Live Type Upgrades; The REAL cost

    [MarkLoPresti] “What upgrades are currently available for the FCP family and what do they cost?”

    Just whatever they say on the websites of Apple, MacMall, etc…… There’s an FCP Upgrade and a Studio Upgrade along with full retail versions of each.

    [MarkLoPresti] “I realize I could go to the Apple website or call them and ask, but I never seem to get the whole story of what’s needed to support an upgrade until after I’ve made a commitment.”

    It’s just a aoftware upgrade so unless you’re trying to add more functionality to your system, such as via a capture card, it’s a pretty straightforward upgrade. LiveType is part of FCP so that will come with whatever version you’re ordering.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • Walter Biscardi

    July 9, 2005 at 11:53 am in reply to: FCP 4.5 Unexpectedly Quits while rendering

    [Daron Stetner] “It never did this before I updated to 10.3.9.”

    There’s your problem. I’ve not heard of many people getting any good performance with 10.3.9 and FCP 4.5. I stopped my FCP 4.5 system at 10.3.8 which is incredibly stable.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • Walter Biscardi

    July 9, 2005 at 11:52 am in reply to: DV Deck

    [Kevin Monahan] “I’m sorry, but I sure like to see the TC readout as I work, not some plastic lid.”

    Yep, so do my clients, that’s why I turn on the Display and let them watch it on my NTSC monitor. Again, my machines are in another room so on-board TC display doesn’t matter and I just use FCP’s TC display when editing.

    [Kevin Monahan] “Dare I mention balanced audio?”

    If Firewire is your workflow (like mine) then why the need for balanced audio? The only need I see for that is for a dubbing station or for feeding an analog only NLE or if it’s being using in a Linear suite. I’ll take digital audio via Firewire over balanced audio.

    [Kevin Monahan] “And that DSR-11 shuttles like a DOG, and gets on and off the heads like molasses. FireWire device control plain ol’ sucks too. Gimme RS-422 any ol’ day. I’m sure you guys agree with me along some of these lines, no?”

    Really don’t see that the deck is significantly slower than other decks. It’s definitely faster than my old UVW-1800 but slower than the Panasonic AJ-H1200A, though for $32k, the 1200A better be faster. I guess I just don’t notice that the deck is holding me up at all as far as being slow to respond.

    [Kevin Monahan] “Plus, ya’ll gotta allow me my opinion. ;-)”

    Of course, that’s one of the beauties of the Cow. Real people working with real equipment giving real opinions.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • Walter Biscardi

    July 9, 2005 at 11:37 am in reply to: Aftermarket RAM

    [Jim Blokland] “You took out the original 256 sticks? Is this because of any known issues with Crucial and Apple RAM?”

    I’ve been told by several engineer types that I know that the G5’s (and really any computer) runs best with matched RAM. That is, the same manufacturer and even from the same batch if possible.

    You should be fine with your setup.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Page 1388 of 1462

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy