Forum Replies Created

Page 1387 of 1462
  • Walter Biscardi

    July 11, 2005 at 10:26 am in reply to: Kona2 purchase: Final questions

    [Andy Edwards] “I have lost work when making a round trip from FCP 5 to STP.”

    I don’t use STP, but Motion 2 has been very stable so far for me.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • Walter Biscardi

    July 11, 2005 at 10:24 am in reply to: Kona2 purchase: Final questions

    Hey Joe,

    I’ve had timelines suddenly stop working correctly whereby I’ll have audio in a new clip in Viewer, but I don’t get the Audio Track Selectors in the timeline to bring it in. So I just have to create a new timeline and move my footage over to it.

    HD-SDI batch or clip captures require an import after the capture as FCP does not reconnect to the clips correctly.

    Sometimes graphics don’t display correctly when playback is paused, even after they are rendered. But they play back perfectly.

    Those are the biggies I’ve really seen and are major annoyances, but nothing to stop an edit. Been cutting two or three weeks now on 7 episodes of this series in DVCPro HD. Only a few unexpected quits during that time. It’s been very stable, thankfully. You can look at my profile to see the two systems. The first system is the one that’s primarily cutting the show.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • FCP can output super blacks so what you’re seeing from Final Cut Pro is “true” to how it will lay out to tape. Simply open the scopes in Final Cut Pro to find out what your levels are. In FCP 5.0 those scopes are pretty much dead on accurate. Whatever they show is what you’re going to lay out to tape.

    I’ve never seen AE add 7.5 setup to anything before and I’ve been running it for about 8 years.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • Walter Biscardi

    July 11, 2005 at 10:12 am in reply to: Whats the skinny on FCP5?

    [chris] “Its my understanding that one can not do insert edits on DV decks, is this really true? What about HDV?”

    There may be some decks that can do insert edit but I’m not sure. I don’t use HDV and have no plans to so I can’t answer that one.

    [chris] “How does having both FCPHD and FCP5 on the same machine work?”

    I have two harddrives in my machine so one drive is fully set up with 10.3.8 / FCP 4.5 and the other drive is 10.4.1 with FCP 5. Works very well, even with my Kona 2 card.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • Walter Biscardi

    July 11, 2005 at 12:10 am in reply to: permanently setting default motion blur amount

    Keep in mind that Favorite Effects and Motions are kept in your FCP Preferences. So if you trash your prefs (which you’ll need to do from time to time when you crash) you’ll lose any favorite effects.

    Create an “effects” project and simply drag any favorites you want to keep permanently into that project. I do this with Color Correction filters for instance.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • Walter Biscardi

    July 10, 2005 at 11:38 pm in reply to: Whats the skinny on FCP5?

    [chris] “I think I’m going to wait it off till FCP6 (If it ain’t broke..)”

    You’ll be waiting until at least next April. If you’re doing broadcast work, FCP 5 is definitely worth the upgrade to ensure you’re frame accurate on masters.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • Walter Biscardi

    July 10, 2005 at 11:37 pm in reply to: permanently setting default motion blur amount

    Just set the blur amount you want and save it as a Favorite.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • Great thread to start Mike! Here’s some of my workflows.

    For a highly technical or ‘precise’ training videos I like to bring my laptop into the field and do live captures so we can actually edit as we shoot. This way my client can verify that all language, action and anything else in the scene is absolutely correct while we’re still in the field. It’s a lot less expensive to re-shoot something while we’re in the field than to bring the crew back. This also makes the final edit a snap since the offline was already created in the field.

    I’ve actually taken this one step further now and have a full uncompressed HD editing system on wheels which I’m offering to corporate conventions, independent films, etc…. but I digress.

    For general training or corporate image presentations I’ll do the NLE logging as you describe, capture and start editing. I’ll do a complete ‘slap-cut’ as I call it for timing with VO, SOT’s and music. There will be black holes all the way through, but I’ll have the full timing worked out. Then I go back to fill in B-Roll, then create the graphics and then any animations / SFX that are needed.

    For broadcast, I work with other producers who generally come in with a full log sheet, the selects already highlighted. So I simply capture and edit. pretty straightforward.

    One of the biggest things I do here is work with Producers who are one-man-bands but don’t really have the know-how or time to create graphics / animations. So they’ll do all the capturing, editing and tweaking on their own Final Cut Pro workstations, then bring the project to me and I’ll add the color correction, graphics, animation and do a full sound mix. I even train Producers on how to use Final Cut Pro just for this purpose. While I’d love to get paid for the days of capture and offlining, I think it’s a better use of everyone’s budget if the Producer wants to do the primary cutting themselves and then I just enhance what they bring me.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • Walter Biscardi

    July 10, 2005 at 9:04 am in reply to: FCP 4.5 Unexpectedly Quits while rendering

    If you do an Archive and Install with the original OS 10.3 install disks, this will keep your apps and all your prefs on the system during install. This does not always work reliably, but you can certainly try this method.

    Install the OS, then download the 10.3.8 combo update.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • Walter Biscardi

    July 10, 2005 at 9:01 am in reply to: FCP 4.5 and Dazzle DV Bridge

    That’s a pretty unstable device to use with FCP. Better to use something like the Canopus ADVC-100.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Page 1387 of 1462

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy