Forum Replies Created
-
[Cableaccess] “Who else makes mini DV decks besides Panasonic and JVC”
Sony. The DSR series plays and records MiniDV and DVCAM. I’ve never heard a good thing about JVC decks from anyone who owned them and pretty much got the same experience as you describe, they started breaking down quickly. I’m sure some folks out there have great experience with them, but I would never put one in my shop. I run the DSR-11 and it’s been running over two years with no hiccups. I send it in once a year for a head cleaning.
Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
https://www.biscardicreative.comNow in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com
“I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters
-
[Steve Powell] “I assume the Terranex box will do a better job than the 1200 deck.”
Just depends on your needs. I personally think the convert in the 1200A is broadcast quality. Our network specifies the Terranex so I have no choice and it does the best job. But the 1200A does do an outstanding job with the cross-convert.
Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
https://www.biscardicreative.comNow in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com
“I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters
-
You don’t want to do that with Final Cut Pro because the scaling will reduce the quality. The two best ways to do this are:
Use the Panasonic 1200A to do the cross convert. You can set the menu in the 1200A to output a 720p project to 1080i.
Go to a facility with a Terranex box to do the cross convert. This box is found in film to tape / tape to film facilities or very high end post facilities. Here in Atlanta we have CineFilm, http://www.cinefilmlab.com, which handles projects from all over the country.
We’re currently doing the Terranex route on a series shot with the Varicam and being delivered via HDCAM 1080i.
Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
https://www.biscardicreative.comNow in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com
“I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters
-
[Jeff Carpenter] “Walter, I’m a little confused, then, why Apple is saying:
====
You can use your purchased music in applications other than iTunes. For example, you can use it in a movie you make or in a presentation you create.
====…on their web page. I’m not saying you’re wrong, I’m just at a loss to explain what they mean by this, exactly if what you say is correct.”
iMovie is a consumer product whereby Apple expects the user to only make home movies for use in the private home on DVD. It is expected that this will be the ONLY use of the music. If you read into the licensing agreement with iTunes I’m sure you’ll find the stipulation that the music is for home use only.
Final Cut Pro is a professional video editing application in which generally an individual or company is editing a project for profit. At this point, the project becomes commercial and requires a sync license to edit. You may not use the music or edit video to it in any fashion without a sync license.
Personally I’m tired of talking about this subject.
Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
https://www.biscardicreative.comNow in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com
“I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters
-
H.264 is not for regular DVD’s. Just export to Compressor and use the High Quality 90 minute setting for DVD.
Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
https://www.biscardicreative.comNow in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com
“I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters
-
[Jeff Carpenter] “They don’t let you put it in Final Cut because they assume you’re doing something more professional, but as long as you’re not, I don’t see any problem with it.”
Without a sync license it’s illegal no matter what you do with it. Explaining to people how to circumvent the license from iTunes does not look good for the Cow either. That’s all I have to say, you can search the Archives for more of my comments on this.
Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
https://www.biscardicreative.comNow in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com
“I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters
-
[Wayne Carey] “Now, on my G5 Dual 2.7, it seems to run fine. But that shouldn’t mean that I have to have a G5 to use it properly.”
Actually it does if you want it to run fast. Minimum requirements from Apple means the app will operate on that machine. If you want FCP 5 to operate smoothly and fast, it has to run on a G5.
Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
https://www.biscardicreative.comNow in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com
“I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters
-
Go back to 10.3.8.
Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
https://www.biscardicreative.comNow in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com
“I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters
-
Very very snappy on both of our systems. I’m running the ATI X800xt graphics card with the Kona 2 and Fibrechannel drives with OS 10.4.1. The second suite is running a base G5 Dual 2.0 with a LaCie Big Disk Extreme drive. Performance is quick on both.
Actually running faster than FCP 4.5 on Panther which was one deciding factor a few weeks ago to go ahead and make the change over to FCP 5.
Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
https://www.biscardicreative.comNow in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com
“I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters
-
[Tim] ”
No I had not upgraded my Kona items…I have the Kona I/o LA and the Kona 2 with the Kbox.”You need to get the latest drivers for both.
Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
https://www.biscardicreative.comNow in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com
“I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters