Forum Replies Created

Page 1383 of 1462
  • Walter Biscardi

    July 13, 2005 at 9:43 am in reply to: What can be done with Powerbook and FCP

    [Ajith Nair] “All you should have is a Analog to Digital Video Converter like Canopus ADVC 110 or so and a firewire hub. In case you have any difficulty in capturing to a firewire HD you can use a USB 2.0 hard drive also.”

    The Canopus will result in the footage being dropped down to DV quality so if that’s ok, then the Canopus will work. If you want to stay Uncompressed from Beta, then you’ll need the AJA Io LA which will capture / output footage uncompressed.

    You’ll need a FW800 drive minimum to work with uncompressed footage and only a few units like LaCie and G-RAID make drives that can handle 8bit uncompressed. You do NOT want to work with any type of USB 2.0 drive, that will cause dropped frames on capture and playback.

    I have not tried working with any uncompressed footage on my laptop other than to run some tests a while back. DV, DVCAM, DVCPro HD and HDV can all easily be worked with in your Powerbook. You’ll need to do a lot more rendering when working with the laptop, but FCP 5 does run pretty well on the machine.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • Walter Biscardi

    July 13, 2005 at 12:03 am in reply to: Uncompressed DV?

    If you’re mastering back to DV or DVCAM before going to BetaSP there’s no reason to capture uncompressed. The video quality of DV capture and Uncompressed capture are essentially the same from a DV source.

    Where you lose quality is on your graphics in a DV timeline. So if you plan to master directly out of your FCP system to Beta SP, then there is an advantage to capturing / working uncompressed.

    But mastering back to your DV / DVCAM deck will simply add the compression back to the video, so you lose any advantage of uncompressed.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • [Mike Phillips] “So I edit using the NTSC / DV codec as normal, however then when I
    export the final file I use the H.264 codec to write the file prior
    to moving it to cleaner?”

    No, if you’re going to cleaner just export a Quicktime movie in the DV codec. H.264 is a final delivery format right now used mainly for internet streaming clips.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • You use the codec for exports, not capture.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • Walter Biscardi

    July 12, 2005 at 7:06 pm in reply to: Compressor within FCP 5.0/JPG images

    Information about your setup would help greatly.

    If you installed FCP 5.0 and then upgraded to Tiger OS, that would be a problem. FCP 5.0 should be installed after Tiger.

    If you simply upgraded your Tiger OS from Panther, that could be a problem. Much better to do a clean install.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • Walter Biscardi

    July 12, 2005 at 7:03 pm in reply to: Hard Driving Me Crazy (again)

    [Bret Williams] “What brand of drive is in a LaCie? I thought LaCie was essentially just the enclosure and controller.”

    I don’t know, just ask them. You can purchase Western Digital Firewire enclosures just like LaCie’s so that’s what I was referring to. I would never use those for day to day A/V work.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • Walter Biscardi

    July 12, 2005 at 7:01 pm in reply to: Shortcuts

    [Bret Williams] “Are your clips offline? In 4.5 they need to be offline.”

    Yep, they’re offline. This shortcut has worked as long as I can remember.

    Jerry Hofmann… you there? Any thoughts on this? Is it broke or just gone?

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • Walter Biscardi

    July 12, 2005 at 6:51 pm in reply to: Shortcuts

    I just noticed this yesterday myself. haven’t looked further, but the shortcut doesn’t work here either. Not sure if Apple killed it, broke it or relocated it.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • Walter Biscardi

    July 12, 2005 at 6:49 pm in reply to: Hard Driving Me Crazy (again)

    Best advice is to replace the drive. A Western Digital drive are the types they sell in Best Buy, Circuit City, etc… and are good for backup storage, but not for day to day A/V editing.

    LaCie or G-RAID’s are much better for that.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • Walter Biscardi

    July 12, 2005 at 2:04 pm in reply to: Log and capture

    As far as I know, there’s no way to force FCP not to keep the clip if you are doing a Capture Now.

    During a Batch Capture, if you abort the process, the clip is not saved.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

Page 1383 of 1462

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy