Creative Communities of the World Forums

The peer to peer support community for media production professionals.

Activity › Forums › Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy › trying to use the new H.264 codec – Dropping frames.

  • trying to use the new H.264 codec – Dropping frames.

    Posted by Mike Phillips on July 12, 2005 at 8:37 pm

    I’m a bit lost here . . .

    I’m using FCP4HD, and I’m experimenting with using the new H.264 codec.

    I’m having a bit of trouble with dropped frames on capture. I believe my sequence and capture presets
    are ok, but I’m not quite 100% sure.

    Can anyone direct me to the correct setups?

    Thanks so much in advance –

    Mike Phillips
    80/20 Inc.

    Mike Phillips replied 21 years, 2 months ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Walter Biscardi

    July 12, 2005 at 8:43 pm

    You use the codec for exports, not capture.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • Mike Phillips

    July 12, 2005 at 8:52 pm

    So I edit using the NTSC / DV codec as normal, however then when I
    export the final file I use the H.264 codec to write the file prior
    to moving it to cleaner?

  • Mike Phillips

    July 12, 2005 at 8:57 pm

    I just tried that and I get a codec error.

  • Walter Biscardi

    July 12, 2005 at 9:05 pm

    [Mike Phillips] “So I edit using the NTSC / DV codec as normal, however then when I
    export the final file I use the H.264 codec to write the file prior
    to moving it to cleaner?”

    No, if you’re going to cleaner just export a Quicktime movie in the DV codec. H.264 is a final delivery format right now used mainly for internet streaming clips.

    Walter Biscardi, Jr.
    Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
    https://www.biscardicreative.com

    Now in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com

    “I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters

  • Mike Phillips

    July 12, 2005 at 9:35 pm

    gotcha! Thank you very much!

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy