Forum Replies Created
-
If you making the move from Media 100 the best advice I can give you is to run the Tutorial and read up on the Capturing section of the manual. That’s what I did when I made the switch from M100 four years ago. Capturing is quite a bit different than with M100.
Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
https://www.biscardicreative.comNow in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com
“I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters
-
[Eli Mavros] “I thought that Aja only took care of the hardware and used BMD codecs. Or is this no longer the case?”
Nope, AJA does everything now.
Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
https://www.biscardicreative.comNow in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com
“I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters
-
[Tim] “(1)I have demo 1080i footage that was loaded onto my system and when open any of it and drop it into a timeline the first thing that happens is the footage is offset in the distort and scale areas of the motion tab…so it goes right into a properly set timeline and has to render. So I have to go in and reset all the motion tabs to default settings and that problem is solved.”
Your Sequence is not set correctly for the 1080i footage. If it was properly set, you would not be resetting the Distort each time. Ensure that you have an AJA Preset for your Sequence to match the Capture Preset of your footage.
[Tim] “(2)Now when I go to play this same footage back on my NTSC monitor…using the proper setup in the timeline and the pulldown in the Kona2 control panel…the footage does not play back letterboxed like it should(it is trying to playback fullsized so all that I see on my monitor is like the upper left quadrant of the actual shot)…and it will only play for a second or so and then I get the “frames dropped” warning and it stops playing.”
Something definitely wrong in the setup as I’m seeing a Letterbox output here via Kona 2 no problems. Perhaps post this in the AJA Forum or contact AJA Tech support directly. Something is wrong somewhere in your setup as FCP 5.0 / Tiger are working perfectly here with the 1.1.2 Kona 2 Drivers.
Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
https://www.biscardicreative.comNow in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com
“I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters
-
I use the 9×12 and would not recommend anything smaller for use with a dual monitor setup, but that’s just my opinion. I find the smaller ones are just too small, especially when trying to get in very close into objects, timelines, etc… I also make very heavy use of After Effects and Motion and find the larger tablet better suited for those too.
Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
https://www.biscardicreative.comNow in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com
“I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters
-
[Lanzi] ”
It is an old recording in which he has in mp3 format. My composer is an amatuer!”Ah, that will do it everytime. A shame they didn’t keep it in an higher quality format. Then I guess just try the suggestions from other folks on the forums here to try and fix it. Good luck!
Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
https://www.biscardicreative.comNow in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com
“I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters
-
If it’s an original score, why is it an mp3? Have the composer give you a Sound Designer 2 or AIFF file in the 48khz format. That’s how I always recieve my music from my composers.
Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
https://www.biscardicreative.comNow in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com
“I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters
-
[Cdelaur206] “Said something about dropping frames.”
That’s a harddrive issue. If you’re going to get into uncompressed HDCAM work, you really want a Fibre Channel array or a very fast SATA array to work with the footage. Anything else will not work.
[Cdelaur206] “hese guys are talking on past experience, since we have not started to edit anything yet. They’re also pushing for the DVCproHD format, since they say it’s a smoother ride.”
No different than working with HDCAM, really. HD itself is NOT a smooth ride at the moment. You’re going to have to spend probably 15 – 20% of your Post time doing R&D to ensure that your workflow and mastering process work smoothly. Once you get all the kinks worked out, it’s no different than cuttin SD. But as I found with the broadcast series I just cut, you need to do a LOT of testing.
The one big issue that I’m not sure if FCP 5.0.2 fixed yet is an issue with HD-SDI Captures not being correctly reconnected by FCP. Basically, after a Capture Clip or Batch Capture, FCP will leave you with clips in your bin that have no audio or video. You simply need to trash those clip and then import the real clips from your media drives. I haven’t tested this with FCP 5.0.2 to see if Apple fixed that. An annoyance more than a problem since the clips really are captured correctly.
Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
https://www.biscardicreative.comNow in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com
“I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters
-
[weevie833] “Also, these issues were with FCP 4.5, not FCP 5, so I don’t know if this will make a difference.”
Yep, FCP 5 fixes this issue. I had the same thing with FCP 4.5, all my edits to tape would slip a few frames in one direction or the other. It was an issue with FCP 4.5.
Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
https://www.biscardicreative.comNow in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com
“I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters
-
Did you post this in the Decklink forum? I’m pretty sure your deck control is going through that card (just like with my Kona 2) so it may be something in the RS-422 from there.
I’ve tested mastering to an HDCAM from a DVCPro HD timeline here and had no issues like that.
Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
https://www.biscardicreative.comNow in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com
“I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters
-
If your mastering output is DV or DVCPro, then use Firewire and edit in an DV / DVCPro timeline and master to tape.
If your mastering output is an uncompressed format like BetaS, DigiBeta, etc… then capture via SDI using the 8bit Uncompressed capture preset and edit in an 8bit timeline, then use SDI to master to tape.
Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
https://www.biscardicreative.comNow in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com
“I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters