Forum Replies Created
-
That’s all your compression from the HDV codec. All DV codecs are terrible for Chroma Key and I think HDV is right down there with regular DV. DVCPro HD pulls a pretty good key but even there I end up cutting masks to make the keys cleaner.
Chroma Key footage needs to be shot and captured uncompressed for the absolute best key.
Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
https://www.biscardicreative.comNow in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com
“I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters
-
Firat off, stay away from SCSI for a new system. Fibre Channel is really the way to go for high volume storage with high stability.
FW800 will work just fine for 8bit uncompressed. It barely works for 10bit. I run both the G-TECH G-RAID’s and the LaCie Big Disk Extremes. Both work just fine for 8bit and both have cut dozens of projects with our Aurora PipePro and now the Kona 2 systems.
Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
https://www.biscardicreative.comNow in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com
“I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters
-
You need additional video on the head of the incoming clip and tail of the outgoing clip. You can’t just place a transition between two clips if there is no additional video to perform the transition.
The tutorial and manaul do a good job explaining this.
Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
https://www.biscardicreative.comNow in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com
“I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters
-
You’re better off just going straight to Tiger / FCP 5.0 as it seems that this is a faster combo than the 10.3.9 route. BUT check in with Medea tech support and your SCSI card manufacturer to find out the best way to update those products for Tiger. There maybe a sequence that is preferred by them on the upgrade. In fact, check in with all your software / hardware vendors for updates to Tiger.
For absolutely certain, disconnect all external devices when installing Tiger and do a Clean Install. I performed a complete erase disk and started over from scratch. It’s been pretty much smooth sailing here so far.
Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
https://www.biscardicreative.comNow in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com
“I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters
-
[Jalal Jemison] “So I have a sequence that has another sequence nested in it, sequence #1 has sequence #2 in the timeline. I changed the edit around on sequence #2 and found it strange that it didn’t update on the timeline of sequence #1. So I right clicked on the sequence #2 media in the timeline, it opened a version of sequence #2 from before I changed it. Then if I go through the timeline and do the same every edit of sequence #2, it opens a new timeline for sequence #2. If I have 30 cuts of sequence #2 in my sequence #1 timeline, it makes 30 different sequence #2 timelines! And All of these new timelines aren’t even in my media bin?? I am so f*cking confused.”
That’s normal behavior for FCP. Every single time you paste or edit in the very same nest or Sequence into another Sequence, it will treat it as a stand-alone clip. So if your “Sequence 2” is pasted / edited into your timeline 10 times, FCP will not update all 10 Sequences if you change one of them. To update a “Sequence 2” you must double click that particular Sequence 2 in the Sequence 1 timeline. Then when you make the changes and go back, you’ll find that Sequence 2 has been properly update in Sequence 1, but ONLY that particular Sequence 2. All the others will remain as they were when they were originally placed into the timeline.
The behavior is really handy for when I have a ton of graphics whereby the background elements remain the same, but only the text changes. I’ll create a Nest of the background, animated element and Boris Text 3D layer. Then I’ll copy and paste that nest every place in the show where I’ll need the text. Then I just double click each nest as I go along to change the Text. If FCP updated every single version of the original nest, that would create a LOT more work for me. And no, all of those nests / sequences don’t show up in the bin. They only stay in the Sequences.
If you want to have a single sequence / nest update throughout FCP, your best option is to simply export it as a self-contained movie and then import and place it onto the timeline. Every time you make a change to the original Nest, simply export it again as the exact same name and FCP will reconnect to the new file each time.
Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
https://www.biscardicreative.comNow in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com
“I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters
-
If all you need is Analog I/O for the devices, then the AJA Io LA will work just fine. It also works in tandem with the Kona 2 which you may want to add later for HD-SDI I/O.
Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
https://www.biscardicreative.comNow in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com
“I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters
-
Hello again Bob!
My favorite storage right now is Fibre Channel external. I run the Medea FCR2X (2TB) which has a ton of speed for lots of realtime from DV to HD. What I really love is that I still need to open up FCP 4.5 projects in 4.5 so I have two boot disks on my system, one Panther and one Tiger. The FCR2X doesn’t care which OS it’s operating in, it hops back and forth with no issues.
Second to that I like FW800 RAID’s though I have not tried a SATA RAID yet. A friend has one and he swears by it.
Hope that helps!
Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
https://www.biscardicreative.comNow in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com
“I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters
-
If all you’re doing is analog I/O, then you could look at the AJA Io LA which will get you in around $1k. It works seamlessly with the Kona 2 which you could add in the future.
Feel free to call if you want to chat about it.
Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
https://www.biscardicreative.comNow in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com
“I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters
-
Walter Biscardi
August 2, 2005 at 9:09 pm in reply to: H264 / h263 encoding problems with Windows PC?[Vladislav] “So since it’s not widely distributed in Windows land yet, it wouldn’t be wise to use it, right?”
All depends on your needs. I’m switching all my website movies to H.264 with a disclaimer than QT 7 is required to view along with a link to the Apple Quicktime page so the viewer can download the files.
Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
https://www.biscardicreative.comNow in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com
“I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters
-
Hey Bob! I answered that so quick I didn’t even notice it was you. Sorry about that.
Pinnacle pretty much came up with a proprietary connection to the BOB and I’m not sure any other software would recognize it anyways. The Kona 2 is pretty much a seamless switch from CineWave.
Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Creative Genius, Biscardi Creative Media
https://www.biscardicreative.comNow in Production, “The Rough Cut,” https://www.theroughcutmovie.com
“I reject your reality and substitute my own!” – Adam Savage, Mythbusters