Forum Replies Created
-
Not sure why CineForm is a problem…it certainly takes a load off your processor and protects your image quality during the edit. Display card or no display card, Aspect isn’t a display function…
I’d look seriously at the Matrox Parhelia APVe…three head (two for user interface and one for DVI video or analog component video output).
It’s not expensive and it does a nice job, keeping in mind that if you’re dropping frames, the video card is very rarely the problem…
TimK,
Kolb Productions,
Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net -
[PaRaDiSiaK] “capture a clip named test.avi/test.wav and when I look in mydrive I also see an clip named test 01.avi/test 01.wav but it doesn’t have the same size and either the same content.”
This sounds like scene detection behavior…
Perhaps there was a camera stop/start in the section of tape you captured and the program broke it there and created two clips?
TimK,
Kolb Productions,
Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net -
Don’t get me wrong, the AJA cards are quite good. I use an LH myself. It’s just that you don’t have the same selection of RT effects like 3 sided DVE, etc, etc.
The past few rounds of Matrox cards seem to work from an observer’s point of view…I tend to push people toward what does what they want to do.
HD I/O and conversion between 1080i and 720p on the fly is great stuff as well as the output for AE and Photoshop. I also like that I can use CineForm Prospect HD with it. I highly recommend AJA cards…but it sounds like you’ve been having good luck with what you have and if you don’t plan on moving away from DV editing soon, I’m not sure a Xena card holds many workflow advantages over the Matrox for DV handling.
…of course, someone from AJA could correct me on this…
TimK,
Kolb Productions,
Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net -
The Xena cards are designed for analog component and SDI/HDSDI I/O…uncompressed and lightly compressed workflows.
I would guess that the Matrox card would give you behavior closest to what you’re using right now…which is a Matrox card.
Out of curiousity, if you’re working with DV, why are you switching?
TimK,
Kolb Productions,
Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net -
Shawn,
Do you have any other third party Premiere project settings loading at the same time? (Matrox, CineForm, etc…?)
Or…are you running any other third party plugs? (Bauhaus, Magic Bullet, Profound Effects, etc?)
Tim
TimK,
Kolb Productions,
Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net -
I’ve had good luck with Sound Dogs…
TimK,
Kolb Productions,
Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net -
[Greg] “I still don’t understand how you can do fast, cheap, quality. How does one do cheap quality?”
The saying refers to the fact that you can manipulate the three factors to minimize one by pushing the other two…
You could theoretically do a quality job at a more reasonable price if you could have a year to do it as fill in work…not fast.
You could really turn the project and make it great with some overtime and late nights and subcontractors…not cheap.
You could do something really fast and not charge much if the standards were low for production value…stammering actors who aren’t lit and only get two takes while the cameraman, who you hired inexpensively as he just graduated from Earl’s Video School, shoots off his shoulder…not quality.
I think an interesting concept is “What do you throw away?” Show a picture of paper brochures and a picture of a DVD/CD…it’s all about perceived value…make sure your message stays in front of your client…etc, etc…
It isn’t as true as it was 5 or 10 years ago, but I still think it applies to some degree.
TimK,
Kolb Productions,
Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net -
Hi Greg,
How are you doing?
Are you looking for some sort of sales kind of thing or something to get a client to think in the long term as far as investing in a quality project or….?
TimK,
Kolb Productions,
Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net -
That’s a tough one. Every situation is different.
Ideally, to save drive space, you’d want to render your AE stuff in the same compression/file type that would be native for your Premiere Project…that eliminates a lot of rendering later when, for instance you are editing DV and drop an uncompressed AE render on the timeline.
When you need to render out of AE and composite into an edit later…for instance maybe you’ve animated a client logo and you want to be able to use it superimposed over video in many different circumstances…you would most likely want to render out the comp with alpha channel transparency. This adds a wrinkle as not all codecs (such as DV) have the ability to include alpha channel transparency. In a case like that, you’d need to use uncompressed or QT Animation codec to output the AE project.
Like I said, every situation is different. Your particular circumstances may not fit in either of these scenarios…
TimK,
Kolb Productions,
Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net -
Yes…I have a feeling that Cadge may be interested in some color correction training as well as the description of the button layout.
It would be good to kow if there was some technique stuff on the TT stuff.
TimK,
Kolb Productions,
Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net