Forum Replies Created

Page 291 of 350
  • Tim Kolb

    August 13, 2006 at 2:51 am in reply to: cineform playback

    Hi Kevin,

    The main issue appears to be that the AJA LH PPro drivers and the CineForm-installed (also AJA) LH drivers don’t like to exist together.

    I’ve had to uninstall the LH drivers and reinstall everything BUT the PPro component (with the PPro AJA project presets) and that seems to work.

    …I’m hoping we can get that one handled as it’s a little annoying to need to do driver uninstall/reinstalls every time I switch projects.

    …I’m assuming you have Prospect HD to run the output?

    TimK,

    Kolb Productions,
    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • As has been stated, the contract is fact…

    I would echo the recommendation to keep emotion out of this completely. It can feel like it’s some sort of underhanded plot when you’re working by yourself and the client is a much bigger company, but I agree with Nick’s take on this…you would hate to blow your top and jinx the entire project if the situation turns out to be some sort of simple misunderstanding…

    “I want to clarify which images you want me to use”…or “Which images do these latest ones replace?” are great, innocent ways to open the conversation. You’re not yelling at them, you’re taking the opportunity to clarify what they are actually asking for…

    Remember that most clients (even supposedly savvy ones) have no clue what implications their actions have on these types of projects.

    It’s not an emotional thing…the contract is for 135 images and you now have 190…”Which 135 did you want me to use?”….

    TimK,

    Kolb Productions,
    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    August 12, 2006 at 9:09 pm in reply to: Aja and Cineform and Premiere – Oh My!

    Prospect has settings for 720p 30…set up a Prospect project for 720p 30 (it should be labelled as HDV somehow in the listing I think…) and capture via CineForm HDV FireWire.

    First though…with the LH card series, you will need to ununstall the AJA drivers and reinstall all BUT the Premiere Pro drivers as CineForm has their own drivers for the card and the AJA Retail PPro drivers (which would give you the AJA project settings) conflict. You do want to have the rest of the AJA drivers installed however as the AE output and Photoshop output is great, and the system needs some drivers to operate the device.

    TimK,

    Kolb Productions,
    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    August 12, 2006 at 7:43 pm in reply to: Component to DV converters and Premiere Pro 2?

    Hi Alex,

    Currently, uncompressed is broken under PPro 2…apparently the SDK changed in this area. Everything else works fine.

    The Canopus ADVC 500 has audio levels and front-of-housing pots as well (I have both here), but has no machine control or SDI…and I believe it’s still more expensive than the SD Connect…which has machine control and SDI.

    The SD Connect also has digital audio and a monitor output…

    TimK,

    Kolb Productions,
    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    August 12, 2006 at 5:30 pm in reply to: Graphics Cards

    The gamer cards will render less assistance to video production/image editing workstations than the pro cards.

    While there is Open GL support on the consumer cards, the professional cards offer far superior multiple window interface accelerathion and 3d rendering capability that serves 3d composition software (as opposed to just the more consumer-oriented 3d game display acceleration).

    I don’t track power consumption on these things as I don’t build systems, I jusrt use them, but perhaps the Quadro 1500 or one of the smaller pro cards uses less power?

    The GeForce card probably won’t hurt anything of course…it would most likely be fine, but with the Xena card you have video overlay for all the Adobe apps, so you don’t need output or second/third monitor video out therefore by going with a larger display card you are left with UI acceleration as the primary advantage. The consumer cards are OK, but in your case, I might recommend looking at a simple dual head card if power consumption is an issue.

    TimK,

    Kolb Productions,
    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    August 11, 2006 at 1:49 am in reply to: Graphics Cards

    I have a PNY NVIDIA 4500, but I’m finding that it’s impossible to use for HD overlay with the Xena card as the card wants to do the display. The NVIDIA card does many effects, etc, faster, but the Xena I/O is apparently not designed to be shared at this point…

    The 4500 will drive the graphics applications really well though…

    TimK,

    Kolb Productions,
    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    August 10, 2006 at 4:01 am in reply to: Lossless Codec Support

    [Trevor500] ”
    Is this correct? How could I use Xena with, for example, Sheer Video Lossless codec?”

    Slowly I suspect. The CineForm codec is good enough to online a feature film (and it’s fast enough to make the editing process pretty succinct), I struggle to realize a situation that is more demanding than that save heavy effects work, but if you were into heavy effects, I doubt you’d be shooting HDV…

    TimK,

    Kolb Productions,
    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    August 9, 2006 at 4:51 pm in reply to: Best way to advertise?

    I used to use some pretty conventional means of marketing…we really never “advertised”. We did high profile non-profit work, we issued press releases every time we got some new piece of statuary…we stayed visible.

    That worked OK for local work.

    Now days, I’ve turned in my 10 person staff for a one-man band/special project kind of thing and I operate more regionally and nationally. I’m more expensive now and I find a network has to be in place for this kind of thing…and an agent doesn’t hurt either. I don’t have one now, but I think I’m leaning more and more in that direction…

    …I’m busier than I have a right to be at the moment and I don’t even have a listing (much less an ad) in the phone book anymore as my only phone number is my cel phone. In 1997 I think we did a count and including all numbers in the office hunt group, fax and dial up internet, pagers and cel phones and off-site voicemail, I think we had possession of 35 phone numbers…

    Important note: This is after 20 years in the business, so there is some dues paid and some marketing/sales efforts made over the years to get to this point…

    TimK,

    Kolb Productions,
    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    August 9, 2006 at 2:17 pm in reply to: Production Studio Nonsense

    You can have one serial activated on two machines maximum. This is meant to support a user with a system at the office and at home for instance, and I’m not sure that the same serial will launch (AE on one machine and Encore on another for instance) on two networked machines where they can see each other, but you could give it a shot…the second machine will activate.

    If you move the software, it will also make your life easier if you can do it while the machine being de-installedis connected to the internet so the activation can be “given back” to the server…otherwise you may have to make a phone call and offer an explanation to clear and enable another activation.

    TimK,

    Kolb Productions,
    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    August 7, 2006 at 4:34 pm in reply to: Red Rock Media

    Workmanship, workmanship, workmanship.

    (I’ve had a chance to use both.)

    The Red Rock is fine if you’re doing a project for yourself on an independent timeline, but for clients in a hurry the PS Tech pays for itself pretty rapidly from what I’ve seen.

    TimK,

    Kolb Productions,
    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

Page 291 of 350

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy