Forum Replies Created
-
Tim Kolb
August 14, 2006 at 12:41 pm in reply to: Got the corporate job, signed contract, deposit – now they’re changing everything????Steve has a lot of really great points…most hit way too close to home for me.
I think the key here is to have a system set up that prevents you from getting in a jam and enforce it unconditionally but unemotionally.
I’ve had a couple of incidents over the last 20 years when I let a project “mutate” for a bit because I personally knew and/or liked the client…then when the last straw was reached…I went off. It wasn’t pretty, it wasn’t professional, and all it did was make everything completely collapse.
If you approach these discrepancies as misunderstandings “…let’s reexamine the contract and you’ll see…” it always gives the client a fallback position (even if they were messing with you intentionally) and gives you both a way to continue to work together without losing face.
Again…be absolutely steadfast…just don’t assume motivation on their part.
I hope it all turns out for you.
TimK,
Kolb Productions,
Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net -
[Kevin Christopher] “He already used connect HD and vegas to rough edit from an HDV source, so thats all he will have when he comes in. I may try to download Prospect just in case, but I think this may take longer there may be 13 shows.”
OOHHHHH….for some reason I was thinking it was full HD stuff…maybe the HDcam mastering got me thinking in that direction…
Aspect has a free trial as well…but you’d have some renders to do to get it out the card HDSDI to the deck of course.
TimK,
Kolb Productions,
Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net -
I’ll be very interested to see what Kevin finds…I’ve not seen this problem and my curiousity is peaked.
YouSendIt.com is what I use to move sub-1 Gig files…it’s free.
TimK,
Kolb Productions,
Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net -
Aspect only supports 8 bit color and 1440×1080 framesize (for HDV).
That can be a significant hit when your source is 10 bit 1920×1080.
Maybe you could simply download the 15 day free trial of Prospect…
TimK,
Kolb Productions,
Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net -
…well I haven’t to this point…but I’m in NTSC/30i HD land. That could make a difference.
What do the properties of the clips tell you?
TimK,
Kolb Productions,
Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net -
REALLY bad?
Geeez…that is confusing.
So when you’ve captured into the other apps, has it also been through the Xena card?
I’m mentally going through the checklist…
Bit depth…if it’s not full color depth, the file sizes should have indicated a difference…what does PPro say in properties about a bad-keying PPro captured clip vs an outside clip that keys acceptably? Any file differences? How about the clip properties between good clips and bad in another application like Vegas…what does Vegas see?
Data rate…same. Should have been an obvious file size difference.
Wrong codec…also a possibility, but I would think the poor performance would be from having an over-compressed clip, again resulting in an obvious file size difference.
PAR-Pixel aspect…could make a difference if the file is being interpreted improperly, but I would think you’d have spotted the distortion visually.
Blame it on the monitoring…can’t do that as I suspect the clips that ARE working and the clips that aren’t are being viewed through the same monitor.
Frame size…theoretically I suppose the frame size could be incorrect, but I have no idea how you’d even make that happen…PPro won’t allow capturing in a different framesize, though you can import it.
I’m hoping those properties dialogues show us something as I’m at a loss at this point…
I’m left with Martians, El Nino…and sunspots. Can you check around your suite for short, green men, and then go outside and check wind direction?
🙂
TimK,
Kolb Productions,
Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net -
[alex udell] “hmmm…
Uncompressed is broken?
That’s annoying…”
Yes…I know. Welcome to multiple companies working on multiple items…independently.
Convergent Design is a small company and it can be difficult to chase SDK changes as quickly as they happen. In fact, much larger companies have had difficulty keeping up with Adobe’s sweeping changes (which I think have been GREAT BTW…), Canopus is a case in point…the Storm card drivers never did recover from the change to Premiere Pro, ultimately resulting in the discontinuation of Adobe support on Canopus cards…
I know Convergent Design knows of the problem and they are working on it along with some other very interesting things…
…however, the uncompressed option was a deal/no deal feature for many users and I can appreciate the gap this leaves for those users.
TimK,
Kolb Productions,
Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net -
Tim Kolb
August 13, 2006 at 5:35 pm in reply to: Got the corporate job, signed contract, deposit – now they’re changing everything????I think you’re headed in the right direction.
All of us have been there when a job we did as a favor sets up a rather bad pricing precedent.
Hold your ground…or they’ll keep on bringing more work for less pay.
TimK,
Kolb Productions,
Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net -
Oh…are you keying WITHIN PPro?
Try using the same media and do the key in AE…unfortunately the PPro chroma keyer is not very good…
(…or am I misunderstanding the issue?)
TimK,
Kolb Productions,
Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net -
I’m wondering if you might be accidentally capturing clips as DV or something similar?
Are the files significantly different size when you capture the files with other apps?
TimK,
Kolb Productions,
Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net