Forum Replies Created
-
Tim Kolb
January 6, 2007 at 8:04 pm in reply to: Audio distortion when exporting WMVHD from HDV timelineI’m not sure i understand…if you normally set peak to -6 or -12, why did you set this audio to peak at zero? This allows for absolutely no headroom for transients.
There are different standards for setting levels for digital audio…one I keep hearing is -20dB or -18dB…I personally think that leaves a lot of unused audo bits. I set for -12dB.
TimK,
Director,
Kolb Productions,Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net -
I suspect the world at large will discover that (other than very specific features that tilt the field one way or the other depending on your workflow…) these two programs are surprisingly similar once they function on the same computer(s).
…and we’ll all be back to discussing politics and religion…and tape formats of course, tape formats are a hot topic…
🙂
TimK,
Director,
Kolb Productions,Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net -
[Aanarav Sareen] “increase the “saturation” property of the Fast Color Corrector effect to get more vibrant tones.”
Well, that would help, but if the gamma curve is set too high (value number too low), as can be the case on a computer RGB monitor, saturation won’t fix the dynamic problem.
You need to look at the footage on an external video monitor and use the waveform display available in PPro to really tell what’s going on.
TimK,
Director,
Kolb Productions,Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net -
In Premiere Pro’s capture window, you have the ability to set an ‘in’ and an ‘out’ point and click on a button that says ‘log clip’. This will create the clip-uncaptured in the Project window. After you create a series of these either through searching and manually ‘logging’ the selects, or simply keying in selects…or importing timecode numbers from elsewhere…you can select the uncaptured clips in the Project window and when you right-click you will get a context menu that says ‘batch capture’…
At this point, you would insert the tape Ppro asks for based on reel information and go get a coffee.
…and in my case…a Ding Dong.
(sorry I don’t have Ppro open in front of me right now so I’m typing procedure from memory…but once you get in there and see the setup, it’s relatively straight forward.)
TimK,
Director,
Kolb Productions,Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net -
Well… a couple of things.
1. Response time is not measured the same in all panels. LCD response cycles times under 10ms need to be examined carefully as they are sometimes measured as “gray to gray”, in other words, they are measuring the time it takes to go from 50% brightness to “off” and back to 50% brightness…the way an LCD works, it’s pretty easy to do this quickly…what you want to know for video is white to black, which is what takes the longest and is the most indicative of the panels response. Consumer television manufacturers use the “gray-to-gray” trick to skew their results far more often than computer monitor manufacturers do…
2. 30″ computer LCD panels have max resolutions of 2560×1600, which at 60Hz require a dual DVI link to drive them. There is not a choice to feed them a single link DVI and tolerate a lower res…it simply won’t feed it.
3. A 1920×1080 television set has a touch more than 2 million pixels, while a WXGA 30″ panel at 2560×1600 has a bit more than 4 million pixels…twice the resolution. The 37″ TV makes the pixels bigger, but if you need UI “real estate”, you probably need more resolution as well. A 24″ computer monitor LCD panel actually has more pixels at 1920×1200 than the television mentioned has.
4. I would be curious if a consumer television could be calibrated…my Dell 30″ is being driven by a PNY Quadro 4500 card and I can actually load a LUT based on a calibration probe to get as close as possible to accurate color and luma values. My 30″ monitor is also useful in my case because I work with 2K files and I can view them with no cropping on this monitor.
5. Plasmas…yes, everything I saw mentioned seems to jive with what I know about Plasmas, but also add this to the list:
Plasma displays are not continuous tone monitors like LCDs or CRTs are…they are digital and each R,G, or B element on each pixel is either “on” or “off”. To represent interim intensities the pixels have to “flash’ on and off and our brain has to average it to show us the intended image. While our brains can’t really delineate the flashes as they are so rapid, our eyes actually can, causing some people who end up viewing a Plasma relatively closely for any period of time to experience some eye fatigue, though they may not realize why.
Also…Plasmas have a lower maximum resolution at any given size than LCDs. Due to the structure of the picture elements, they simply can’t be crammed in as small a space as liquid crystals. This is why many “professional” plasma can’t even display anything above 1366×768 natively and have to have a button that blows up the image to get to a 1:1 pixel aspect ratio.
TimK,
Director,
Kolb Productions,Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net -
PCs do not use a resource fork attached to the file to detect what application handles it like Apple computers.
A PC associates files with extensions…like .avi, .mov, .jpg, .psd, etc., etc.
That’s why you type in .mov and the PC understands what to do with it.
The frame size issue is due to improper pixel aspect recognition. The proper pixel aspect for 4:3 DV is .9, not 1.0.
Capturing with the app you plan to edit on would no doubt be the recommendation of most on this board…particularly since you are now transferring files cross-platform and PPro will need to render QT files. DV files captured by PPro as AVIs can be edited without rendering.
TimK,
Director,
Kolb Productions,Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net -
I think that there are those of us who conquer and those of us who administrate. The conquerors take the risks and the administrators make the bank deposits, those who venture forth at great personal peril have personas that are the envy of the meek and those that simply maintain status quo have a lifestyle that explorers wish to have-for their families. Some of us take out 100’s of thousands of dollars in loans for gear that won’t be worth what we paid for it in a week and we pay it off through infrequent, intense projects that we take part in because of our creativity and some of us do the exact same thing every day and have never bee late on a car or house payment.
If the heart and head agree on one direction, the the soul seems satisfied. If they disagree, whichever is denied seems to never shut up. If we follow our dreams, we notice that our families share in that unstable lifestyle and our head reminds us that there are more conservative paths…if we get a desk job and a 401K with a tri-level in the suburbs, our heart questions what we “could” have been for the rest of our lives…
Some of the entrepeneurs I worry the most about are the ones who decide, after having most of the fight sucked out of them by a lifetime of routine and security, quit their jobs and start up on their own to seek their destiny. Too often it ends up being like dropping a house cat off in the Congo…
After 19 years in the business, I had the first industry position offered to me that I ever seriously considered…a large, monolithic brand in our industry would like me to join the team. It was gratifying certainly, but I thought about it and realized that I get to be company guy/ex-director/editor, blah blah awards, blah blah career only for a while. When comany X decides that the division I work in isn’t profitable enough and they want me to move to LA or New York or Japan or whatever…or simply lay me off…now where am I? I guess I’m either a director/editor guy who has been “out of the loop” for a while or I’m just another laid off company guy looking for a new spot to be a company guy…for a different company…in whatever place they decide to put me…and my family.
It’s a tough call. I have a wife and a 7 and a 12 year old…I’m the primary income.
When do I grow up and get a “real” job? How do I keep from becoming the monster or the mouse I’ll most likely turn into if I do?
Maybe survival skills and vision trump fences and hiding places for ultimate security.
Maybe I’m rationalizing my own irrational decisions…
If I had the answer Grin, I’d email you a link. Believe me.
TimK,
Director,
Kolb Productions,Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net -
Tim Kolb
December 16, 2006 at 4:12 am in reply to: Is there another way to output timeline through Xena other than the Aja preset?I use the “hot wire” trick with analog component out…you need to set the output up in Machina for that output.
…I have an HD Connect LE and it works well, but keep in mind that once you are feeding it via SDI, it’s not HDV anymore, the files will grow substantially in size.
TimK,
Director,
Kolb Productions,Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net -
Keep in mind that current quad core processors have the same amount of bandwidth on/off the CPU and they use slower ram/busses than the current best dual cores.
This configuration would best benefit applications like 3d rendering where there isn’t a lot of data throughput, but heavy processing is needed. Video editing, particularly HD benefits more from “size-of-pipe” than “speed-of-pump”.
As far as a video card goes…for DV editing I like the idea of using a very easy, basic FW card for video input/output and look at the possibility of a Matrox APVe for a display card. It will run two computer monitors for your computer desktop, and run video to a video monitor to watch your video on a production monitor.
Power for Adobe PPro is about buss speed and amount of RAM, the speed of your harddrives, then the speed of the processor.
TimK,
Director,
Kolb Productions,Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net -
I know that AJA`cards also have some issues with PPro multicam…
TimK,
Director,
Kolb Productions,Creative Cow Host,
Author/Trainer
http://www.focalpress.com
http://www.classondemand.net