Forum Replies Created

Page 275 of 350
  • How are you bringing the HDV material into your system?

    What are you editing this material as (uncompressed HD or SD or…?)

    I have been able to “hotwire” the Xena to run when I’m in the Adobe SD SDI preset (I assume it would work similarly in the Adobe HD-SDI preset) where I launch Machina in the background and set it for the primary output I need (SD analog out or HD SDI out…framesize, etc.) and tell Premiere Pro to output to the external device.

    Whether or not it would solve the multicam issue or not is another question…I’m afraid I don’t typically work with multicam in my work, so I’m not as aware on all the idiosyncracies that may be present in that feature…

    TimK,
    Director,
    Kolb Productions,

    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    December 14, 2006 at 9:24 pm in reply to: JVC HD100U and Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 Capture issues

    Editing HDV natively can be done…don’t get me wrong. It’s just that it does take some system resources to do it. On any given machine, the Aspect plugin will run more RT than using Adobe’s native HDV mode.

    I’m an Adobe advocate, so my intention here isn’t to attack adobe…CineForm Aspect just works very well, and the CineForm codec will preserve image quality better than MPEG2 will.

    I haven’t tried to capture an hour from a JVC HDV camcorder, so I can’t verify your findings I’m afraid…or furnish much insight.

    What happens if you try to capture only 10 minutes at a time? Does this keep the audio synced?

    TimK,
    Director,
    Kolb Productions,

    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    December 14, 2006 at 3:47 am in reply to: JVC HD100U and Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 Capture issues

    Unfortunately, I think Aspect HD has in some ways become the standard plugin for HDV…particularly special camera modes like progressive and 24F.

    It’s so fast and responsive compared to editing HDV natively that I really don’t do any HDV native post myself…I’ve never tried a PAL JVC HD100 though…wouldn’t the 50/25 model be an “HD100E” instead of a “U”?

    TimK,
    Director,
    Kolb Productions,

    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    December 13, 2006 at 2:27 am in reply to: Premiere Pro vs FCP

    [kiangalaxy] “is that mean that everytime i want to do some changes, i have to go to Photoshop to edit the file ?”

    No…the transfer modes available in “calculations” are based on Photoshop’s transfer modes…soft light, etc.

    TimK,
    Director,
    Kolb Productions,

    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    December 12, 2006 at 10:54 pm in reply to: Premiere Pro vs FCP

    [WAKA Creative] “PP: is there a blending mode like hard light, soft light, screen, overlay..etc ?

    Nope. A definate plus in FCP I would like to see in future versions of PP (and I think we will)”

    Apply the filter called “calculations.” It supports Photoshop transfer modes.

    TimK,
    Director,
    Kolb Productions,

    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Did it ever work for you, or are you first trying to install Magic Bullet Editors now? Be aware that the newest version of MBE is designed for the plugin structure of PPro v2, which is different than v1.5. Perhaps you could describe your situation in detail and there might be some answer…but:

    I never tried using them all together as I had to make a choice between PPro and a big machine and DV Storm when I had runnability issues early on…I ended up just getting a bigger machine to edit DV and dropping the card.

    …since the DV Storm card is no longer produced and PPro almost famously had issues with it for most, there is going to be no effort to patch or fix this combo (if it is a legitimate conflict) by the software/hardware manufacturers concerned.

    I’d say you might be stuck with an issue that can only be resolved by giving up one or the other…and upgrading PPro to the current version if you have the current version of MBE.

    Sorry i don’t have anything more specific without more detail.

    TimK,
    Director,
    Kolb Productions,

    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    December 9, 2006 at 4:25 am in reply to: any constructive criticism?

    [Damonstration] “wow. thank you. that is exactly the kind of advice i’m looking for. things that pertain to my posts rather than video.”

    First, I’m not sure as a student, or at least a very, very green professional, I would do a lot of terse responding to seasoned professionals that took the time to even read this thread considering this forum pertains to cinematography specifically and you seem to be seeking some creative input.

    Second, Tony was responding to the person who responded to you who has 10 or more mispelled words in their post and a sentence that appeared to have been edited or was the result of an incomplete thought. This kind of thing is difficult to read.

    Third, I looked at one of your shows when you first posted…audio is number one and some lighting is number two…then I’d spend some time studying television sitcoms to get a feel for “comic rhythm” in editing…some of your shots have decent concepts, but they could be 10% as long and still get the point across. The use of something besides 100% wide shots would also help the material move…and help an editor get some traction to bring the pacing up to speed…you can’t cut a continuous wide shot.

    You are coming into a professional community here at the Cow and many of us don’t have a ton of time to respond to every post we’d like to… Posts that are tough to read or poorly articulated feel like a waste of our time. Ease up and have some respect and you will get along fine.

    TimK,
    Director,
    Kolb Productions,

    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    December 9, 2006 at 4:02 am in reply to: AJA Kona works in MacPro under Bootcamp Windows

    Premiere Pro also does surround. And it also works with AJA cards…it makes me want to buy a Mac and try it out.

    TimK,
    Director,
    Kolb Productions,

    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    December 6, 2006 at 1:20 pm in reply to: Black bar problem

    HDV, like all HD is only 16:9. You would have been shooting DV when set to 4:3, not HD.

    I agree that the camera is at least outputting 16:9 to the computer. I wonder if the FW output settings aren’t set to “letterbox” or something like that. The camera’s output is probably the wild card here…

    TimK,
    Director,
    Kolb Productions,

    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    December 5, 2006 at 3:01 am in reply to: Black bar problem

    So the image is squished short and fat inside the letterbox?

    What are the project settings you are using?

    Describe the steps in your workflow in detail please.

    TimK,
    Director,
    Kolb Productions,

    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

Page 275 of 350

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy