Forum Replies Created

Page 276 of 350
  • I don’t know many of us here that would identify either one of these cameras as our “weapon of choice” for shooting greenscreen.

    The 1 or 3 CCDs is the least of your worries, the VX1000 is DV…4:1:1 color sampling and the JVC is HDV, 4:2:0…the tape format will be the most significant factor here.

    The fact that you are buying either camera tells me you probably have experience with neither…that is also a decided disadvantage as the key to making a prosumer camcorder over achieve is to be very familiar with the camcorder so you can compensate for its shortcomings.

    I guess I’d say give the JVC a shot as at least you’ll have more real estate to work with…though either one of these cameras simply has too many “auto” functions for my personal comfort level.

    You’ll want to get as comfortable with whichever camera is your final choice before you are shooting for the job as that will be key to making it work.

    TimK,
    Director,
    Kolb Productions,

    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    December 4, 2006 at 3:52 am in reply to: Black bar problem

    Do you mean you’re getting pillar boxing? Why not capture in a 4:3 project?

    TimK,
    Director,
    Kolb Productions,

    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • [marisu fronc] “add a gig of RAM – 3 GB did help (in fact, it made one particular timeline play back for the first time in weeks!!). Keep task manager open and when your page file usage gets too high (ie: you know that the lockup or crash is coming) touch task manager and switch focus away from Premiere, then toggle back and immediately render and save (this one is great for the out of memory render errors and the couldn’t render but don’t know why errors)”

    I agree with Marisu on this…and it seems to have more to do with the number of assets than the length of the timeline in my case.

    This sort of issue is not manifesting itself in any standard way across any group of users I know. I know that I run AJA Xena retail drivers for uncompressed SD/HD and I use Prospect for HD and those two plugins don’t co-exist well since they both apparently compete for control of the card…so I move them in and out of the plugin folder depending on what work I’m doing.

    On RAM, I also agree, but I have 4 Gigs of RAM…and you can hit the bottom of that eventually too.

    Adobe is aware of the issue apparently. Frankly, until recently I assumed that some of my issues of this type were the result of simply too many plugins/display cards/video I/O cards all running at once and running PPro/AE/Photoshop open frequently.

    TimK,
    Director,
    Kolb Productions,

    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Can you tell us more about what else is running on this system?

    TimK,
    Director,
    Kolb Productions,

    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    November 27, 2006 at 7:05 pm in reply to: Is it possible to import a sequence/EDL into a new project?

    Huh…new feature, but didn’t get a thorough enough test to put in the docs…

    Dave…if Adobe had documented it as a “use at your own risk” would you have been complaining about them doing shoddy engineering?

    They’ve taken the high road on this and not mentioned a feature they think was not adequately tested to protect the customer…

    TimK,
    Director,
    Kolb Productions,

    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    November 27, 2006 at 4:22 pm in reply to: I-Frame Only MPEG-2 -or- Uncompressed 10-bit

    [mike velte] “HDV is basically Mpeg2 I frame only on the DV tape”

    Mike is right, HDV is MPEG2, but I-frame only would indicate that every frame is independently decodable like MJPEG.

    HDV is long GOP MPEG2 on tape…JVC’s GOP is 6 frames (HDV1) and Sony/Canon (HDV2) is either 12 frames (for 25fps) or 15 frames (30fps) and the GOP frame order is pretty standard “IBBPBBPBBPBBPBBIBBPBBP….” with an I frame starting each GOP.

    …small clarification.

    TimK,
    Director,
    Kolb Productions,

    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    November 27, 2006 at 1:32 am in reply to: Premiere Pro 2 bootup

    [tcindie] “It sounds like the problem is that he can’t even get to the screen to load a project or start a new project. When the initial splash screen comes up, and initializes all the plugins, that’s where it’s crashing. Before the program even really starts.”

    Actually he said it hangs when he sees what he later said was the last plugin to load…which can mean the next thing in the progression is crashing it…which would be when it gets a look at the project file.

    The last thing you see on the screen may not be the problem, or you may not even see an acknowledgement of the load…chances are very good that it’s the next procedure that’s taking it down as it starts that next step…even if he isn’t loading the project, that project still comes up in the recent projects panel.

    Anyway, I still think that a bad project needs to be disqualified first.

    If it hasn’t been done already, I would recommend renaming the project (remember what it WAS called of course so it can be changed back), and then try to launch. At least this would eliminate a bad project from consideration.

    TimK,
    Director,
    Kolb Productions,

    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    November 26, 2006 at 6:30 am in reply to: Premiere Pro 2 bootup

    You have tried to start PPro 2 with more than one project, or as if you are going to start a new project, right?

    …we’re not talking about a corrupt project are we?

    TimK,
    Director,
    Kolb Productions,

    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    November 25, 2006 at 2:12 am in reply to: Irregular processor max outs

    This sounds more like disk speed bottle neck to me. Particularly since it just popped up. Is the disk really fragmented?

    Shuttling is a different type of retrieval process than playback. i’d check out the media harddrive and maybe back it off to an external if there is anything valuable on it. If it isn’t fragmented, it simply may be getting ready to go to that big peripheral slot in the sky…

    Maybe check out the project playing from another harddrive to be sure??

    TimK,
    Director,
    Kolb Productions,

    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

  • Tim Kolb

    November 23, 2006 at 3:54 pm in reply to: Is it possible to import a sequence/EDL into a new project?

    So…since you can’t open multiple projects at once, I am assuming you simply copy to clipboard and open another project and paste?

    Thanks for the post.

    TimK,
    Director,
    Kolb Productions,

    Creative Cow Host,
    Author/Trainer
    http://www.focalpress.com
    http://www.classondemand.net

Page 276 of 350

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy