Shane Ross
Forum Replies Created
-
What drive are you capturing to? How is it formatted?
-
-
Shane Ross
December 2, 2005 at 11:30 am in reply to: psd files look like garbage when importing into fcp#2 Playback is blurry
Shane’s Stock Answer #2:
ONLY JUDGE THE QUALITY OF YOUR MATERIAL ON AN EXTERNAL NTSC MONITOR, OR AT LEAST A TV.
1. Disable overlays on the canvas
2. Make sure you’ve rendered everything (no green bars at the top of the timelinehttps://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=24787
DV footage requires large amounts of data and many computations. In order to maintain frame rate and be viewable at a normal size, only about one-fourth of the DV data is used in displaying the movie to the screen. However, the DV footage is still at full quality, and is best viewed thru a TV or NTSC monitor routed thru your camera or deck.
And putting any graphic into a DV timeline instantly compresses it 5:1…that is the nature of DV.
-
Animation Codec was designed for going from one platform to another without losing quality. A word of warning, the files sizes are HUGE.
-
DVI is the best connection for the Dell. Either get another Graphics Card with two DVI ports, or an additional one to drive the Dell.
-
Are you shooting 24P with that camera? If so, there is a BIG HUGE GIGANTIC issue with sync and that footage.
I have been grouping (multisync in FCP land) the footage and noticed that the sound of the clap board closing came ONE FRAME BEFORE the image of it closing…with EVERY SINGLE TAKE. Sometime it was 2 frames off, but that was due to the duplicate frame you occassionally get with 24P footage. Needless to say, every shot is one frame out of sync.
My producer called Panasonic, and they confirmed it…yes, they are 1 frame out of sync. This is normal…part of teh design of the camera. It is up to us in the Post arena to fix it. Up to the Assistant Editor to fix this.
With an Avid, it is easy, but tedious. You have to load the clip into the timeline, slip the audio one frame, then select the sequence and hit AUTOSYNC. It creates a new clip that is now in sync. I have to do this with every stinkin’ clip. I don’t know WHAT you’d do in FCP land for this. I might have to investigate.
I can’t freakin’ believe it. Designed this way. Their excuse was “the general public doesn’t notice the one frame sync issue.” Well, everyone in the edit bay does…
-
I am firmly in the Dell 2405 camp, and have two as well. Beat the Apple 23″ monitors soundly in quality and cost.
Get the Dells, dude.
-
Shane Ross
December 1, 2005 at 9:43 am in reply to: color clips or tracks in FINAL CUT PRO – like Walter Murch didI was at that meeting and noticed that too. Failed to ask that question though…and another, about THE CONVERSATION. What footage did they intend to shoot but couldn’t, and what did they shoot to bridge the two scenes, and what two scenes were they?
I have been wanting to color code my tracks for a while.
-
I STRONGLY suggest NOT capturing over timecode breaks. In this case, really be meticulous about logging and capturing. Messing with timecode breaks, especially if you offline and online, is not wise.
-
Except that I am currently on an Avid…
WAIT…that WOULD be a parallel universe!
(lol)