Sean Oneil
Forum Replies Created
-
[Editguy69] “We are getting ready to online 26 shows shot on HDCAM and we need to pick a codec.
Is anybody out there using ProresHD on a regular basis? Any bugs we need to know about?
We would like to stay away from uncompressed HD for obvious reasons. The shows will be mastered back to HDCAM. Using the latest and greatest MAC with FCP studio 2, Kona 3 and a fibrechannel terrablock for storage.”I just finished a Barenaked Ladies concert that was shot on HDCam. Captured and finished using ProRes (HQ).
Everything was fine. The only issue is that I couldn’t effectively use multicam, because 9 streams of HD ProRes was too much for my Quad Mac Pro to handle. “Dynamic RT” apparently didn’t do what it was supposed to.
ProRes is great. It’s a vastly superior codec when compared to the actual HDCam codec.
There aren’t any bugs I know of. But, be careful if you are using a Kona 3 with NTSC (I know you’re not). The NTSC ProRes (HQ) Easy Setup is wrong (it’s mistakenly set for non-HQ).
-
Sean Oneil
September 6, 2007 at 8:34 pm in reply to: Removing Audio from Clips Before Bringing Them InWhy don’t you just capture video only? In log and capture. Pretty self-evident. Your options are “Video”, “Audio” or “Video and Audio”.
-
There’s a program called Raylight (dvfilm.com). I believe it can convert Quicktimes to MXF. So one would think you just make a JPEG2000 Quicktime, and convert it to MXF. I can’t say for sure though.
The MXF format competes with Quicktime. I wouldn’t expect any convinient solution from Apple anytime soon.
-
Sean Oneil
September 4, 2007 at 12:37 am in reply to: Offline@29.97drop – to Online@23.98PSF, non-drop.[Godfrey Pye] “So surely this means that I need to do an online session at 29.97 doesn’t it? Nothing would please me more than giving the problem to the post facility and letting those who made the mess pay to get out of it. But as a professional courtesy I feel I must give the on-line editor all the help I can.”
No. During the online session, you want to batch re-capture at 23.98, and then clean it up. After that, you can output 29.97, if you wish. This process adds new pulldown with clean 3:2 cadence.
But as Weevie said, you can also just do a 23.98 DVD.
Sean
-
Sean Oneil
September 3, 2007 at 1:38 am in reply to: Offline@29.97drop – to Online@23.98PSF, non-drop.Everyone relax.
All you do is convert the EDL. That’s it. Cinema Tools can do it, but let the online facility deal with it. They’ll have to go through each edit point and correct the missing frames that occur during this kind of conversion. But it’s manageable. People do this all the time.
Yes, downconverting it to drop frame instead of NDF was a bonehead move on their part. But the online place should still be able to convert the EDL no problem.
The REAL problem with this workflow is if you were NOT going back to 23.98, and instead mastering 29.97. Editing 24fps footage on a 30fps timeline destroys the 3:2 cadence. Most don’t realize this because it looks fine on their interlaced CRT broadcast monitor. The problems won’t be seen until it’s viewed by the consumer on an LCD/plasma or encoded for the web. Since you’re going back to 24, you’re forced to fix it, which is good.
The offline/SD online/HD 24fps workflow I prefer, is to simply capture the standard-def tapes over SDI and use the 3:2 removal (tapes need to be non-drop though I belive). It maintains the original 29.97 timecode, so it’s non-destructive – but you can change the TC to 23.98 if you wish (using Modify -> Timecode). It allows you to edit in the native framerate, so all of the edit points you make are clean.
Sean
-
[John Pale] “nstall MacOpener on the PC to read Mac formatted volumes”
I think that program is defunct :). MacDrive from MediaFour is the contemporary program to do this.
Sean
-
Trust me, you want a deck. Technically you can capture from the camera. But without RS-422 deck control, I’m pretty sure FCP won’t be able to read the timecode (I may be wrong about this). You can go ahead and do it. A lot of non-editors I know think along these lines. But without capturing the proper source timecode, all reference to the original tapes will be destroyed. You’ll never be able to re-capture, conform, or recover from a disk failure. Even if FCP can read the VITC or LTC, you’ll still have to get a controllable deck in order to re-capture anything.
Given the fact you’re shooting on SR, I’m going to guess that a 1-day rental for an SR deck is well within your budget. I would strongly suggest doing it.
Sean
-
Could be anything. What happens when you copy a file to an HFS disk, and then try importing it?
-
[Patrick Sheffield] “Nice, but I just used a 5.25 -> 3.5 adapter bracket, a SATA cable to the additional SATA connectors on the motherboard and a sata power cable from the optical power connector.”
Ditto. I do the same thing. So I get a 4-disk RAID plus my system disk.
I hear there are also 5.25″ brackets that can hold 2 drives, so you could add a sixth as well.
-
[JeremyG] “i think you are talking about the PMU (Power Management Unit, older G5s and below), SMU (newer G5s) or SMC (System Management Control, intel machines)”
Thanks for filling me in on what that button is. Good to know.