Forum Replies Created

Page 102 of 189
  • Sean Oneil

    August 27, 2007 at 2:53 pm in reply to: SCSI Card for new MAC Pro

    Forgive me, but what’s the purpose for still using SCSI drives?

    Sean

  • Sean Oneil

    August 27, 2007 at 2:52 pm in reply to: ProRes 422 HQ

    You can copy the ProRes Quicktime components to your other system (/Library/Quicktime).

    This will let you read and write ProRes within any Quicktime based app. However, in FCP 4-5, you won’t get RT effects, and there may be other problems as well.

    Sean

  • Sean Oneil

    August 27, 2007 at 2:49 pm in reply to: FCP won’t open after electrical storm

    There’s a little button somewhere on the motherboard. Not sure what it does but when I’ve had power supply issues before, pushing it would fix it. I think it’s a breaker switch or something.

    Also try zapping the PRAM.

    If it still doesn’t work, take it to an Apple Store.

    Sean

  • Sean Oneil

    August 26, 2007 at 3:40 am in reply to: Sharing media across Wifi

    [Cristian Colbert] “hanks for the advice Sean, unfortunately I have an older G5 without the PCIe slots. Out of curiousity though, what would the Jumbo Frames support afford me?”

    Larger TCP packet sizes, which reduces latency and takes pressure off your CPU.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumbo_Frames

    Sean

  • Sean Oneil

    August 25, 2007 at 2:28 am in reply to: Sharing media across Wifi

    [Cristian Colbert] “FYI, I’ve worked with serveral SANS systems, XServes and Avid Unities, so I’m familiar with the permission issues. And while I agree that they are extremely necessary to collaboratively work on a single edit project, that is not exactly what I was seeking to do. Nonetheless, since my last response I was able to experiment further and have arrived at a suitable solution for my specific situation. I only need everyone to be able to drink from the same fountain, not contribute to it. So that resolved my permission issues aside from common file sharing. I’m using a wired router with my G5 basically as a server. It’s ugly, but all little “miracles” don’t have to be pretty.”

    Christian,

    Take this advice. If you have a newer G5 (the one with PCIe slots) or a Mac Pro, then your built in ethernet adapter supports something called Jumbo Frames. Use it. Just make sure the switch and all the other Macs also support it.

    Sean

  • Sean Oneil

    August 25, 2007 at 2:07 am in reply to: Sharing media across Wifi

    [msacci] “There is no way to have 3 people accessing the same files at the same time without XSan or similar.”

    That is incredibly untrue.

    Three people is nothing. And DVCProHD has a relatively low bitrate.

    Granted, in a solid, stable, fast working environment, you should have a SAN. But 3 people accessing DVCProHD, for one job – you can absolutely use ethernet file sharing. Wifi, probably not a good idea.

    54mbps wireless G is not fast enough for this. Wireless N, the brand new kind, might work.

    Sean

  • Sean Oneil

    August 24, 2007 at 7:48 pm in reply to: Sharing media across Wifi

    [Cristian Colbert] “Would getting the new airport extreme with the gigabit architecture help?”

    It would, but I highly reccomend using wired gigabit ethernet. The way your situation sounds, you can live with some wires running through the hallway if need be.

    [Cristian Colbert] ” Also, I could convert the footage to the ProRes format to help with bandwidth if necessary.”

    ProRes uses more bandwidth than DVCProHD. Not less.

  • Sean Oneil

    August 24, 2007 at 6:09 pm in reply to: Mixing HD and SD Formats – Interlace Issues

    Everything’s 29.97fps, so that’s fine. Are you seeing these problems on your broadcast monitor in Final Cut, or only on DVDs?

    If it’s just DVDs, I think I know what the issue is. I’m going to guess that you are not exporting directly to Compressor from Final Cut. Not doing that could cause this problem. Quicktime can’t tell what the field dominace is supposed to be. Using “Export to Compressor” allows Final Cut to tell additional info to Compressor.

    If you are exporting directly to Compressor, then this is probably just one of the many, many FCS2 bugs that Apple, a Fortune 500 company that made $2 billion in profits last year, allowed to slip past their QC process.

  • Sean Oneil

    August 24, 2007 at 5:54 pm in reply to: Convert 16:9 to 4:3 WITHOUT letterboxing???

    Take your 16:9 footage, throw it on a 4:3 timeline. This will make it letterboxed. Now in the sequence, select all, ctrl-click, and select “Remove Attributes”. Check the box for “Basic Motion” but do not check the box for “Distort”.

    You may find that the center part of the picture is not always ideal. You can do a pan and scan in the Motion tab by manually shifting the center left or right for various shots.

  • Sean Oneil

    August 23, 2007 at 7:05 pm in reply to: Mixing HD and SD Formats – Interlace Issues

    This is very complicated topic.

    What version of Final Cut are you using? What framerate was your footage shot at? Is there any 24fps footage?

Page 102 of 189

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy