Forum Replies Created

Page 2848 of 2910
  • Jeremy Garchow

    December 18, 2005 at 6:30 pm in reply to: PAL framerates!

    HD for indies had a chance to speak with one of the developers if anyone is interested on hearing what he had to say.

    https://www.hdforindies.com/2005/12/more-info-on-red-including-from-jim

    https://www.hdforindies.com/2005/12/red-camera-out-in-late-2006-according

    Jeremy

  • Jeremy Garchow

    December 16, 2005 at 8:53 am in reply to: Multiformats a la Cinewave?

    [walter biscardi] “and from what I gather”

    Where’ve you been hunting?

  • Jeremy Garchow

    December 15, 2005 at 10:25 pm in reply to: Clean Smooth Title fades

    Go to your sequence>render selection and render all menus and amke sure the “full” option has a check mark next to it. Render the timeline and your graphics should then come out clean. You are watching an rt preview of an unrendered effect.

    Jeremy

  • Jeremy Garchow

    December 15, 2005 at 10:09 pm in reply to: BT LH900 for SDX900

    Thanks for your input, Chris. I have a demo set up with Fletcher, hopefully I can figure this out. I don’t want to haul around another CRT with a flight case if I don’t have to.

    Jeremy

  • This subject is kind of subjective and kind of not. SOme reasons are technical, and some are preferential. I can only give my advice as to how I like to work and it may or may not apply to all. The technical reasons are more cut and dry.

    There are times when I am editing on site and there simply is not time to log and capture. I need the footage in the system and I need it yesterday. It usually means I spend more time dividing up the clip later into subclips and renaming, but I do it as I need it, not before.

    If I have the time at the studio, I choose to log and capture as I can look at the list of clips with their log notes and know exactly what I have. Also, if the other editor in the office and I are tag teaming a project (which happens from time to time) he can then sit down to my project and know pretty much what each shot is before he even has to look at it, while I can sit down to a project that he has started and do the same thing. This is helpful if he didn’t watch any of the footage while it was digitizing. I feel as if when i log and capture I know everything I have because I am watching almost every frame shot. If i digitize the whole tape in one pass, there’s more of a chance I’ll miss something if the phone rings, an email comes, the door bell rings, etc. If I do remember a shot in a half hour clip that I have digitized at once, then it takes me that much longer to find it by sorting through a 30 minute clip. If it is logged and captured correctly and I can simply do a find for what I want or quickly scan the browser/log notes for the clip I have described.

    NLE systems (in my experience) seem to get less bogged down if there are shorter clips to work from. When you start getting clips that are too long, the system really starts to drag, especially on slower firewire drives and uncompressed projects. If you are working in DV, then it’s not a huge deal as the data rate of DV is pretty low and doesn’t bog the system too much. There’s also less chance of sync errors on shorter clips, but this isn’t really an issue for most people anyway.

    I hope this gives you a good place to start.

    Jeremy

  • Jeremy Garchow

    December 15, 2005 at 9:06 pm in reply to: Silicone Color

    https://www.siliconcolor.com/

    You’re probably looking for a program called Final Touch, or Final Touch HD.

    Jeremy

  • mac doesn’t sell thier macs with two drives, but it usre gives you the option to buy an extra drive. Not everyone needs an extra drive, but you most certianly do. You can get away with having a second internal drive, but what you really want is at the very least a FW800 array or preferrably higher (like SCSI or fibre channel).

    You can read this post here for someone experincing problems with trying to use one internal drive:

    https://forums.creativecow.net/cgi-bin/new_read_post.cgi?forumid=8&postid=875547&pview=t#head

    If you read the manual you’ll see that the internal system drive is not reccommnded.

    From Volume 1, Chapter 14 pg. 179 of the FCP 5 users mamual from the final cut pro help menu:

    “By default, Final Cut Pro uses the hard disk on which the application is installed as your
    scratch disk to store captured and render files. Ideally, you should use a hard disk other
    than your main system disk as your scratch disk. Depending on how much space you
    need for your media, you can have up to twelve scratch disks in your Final Cut Pro
    editing system. ”

    and from pg 183:

    “Since digital media (especially high data rate video) makes your disks work harder, you
    should use dedicated disks for capturing and playing back your digital video and other
    media files. Consider your media disks as storage units that work long, hard hours,
    while your startup disk keeps your system properly organized.”

    Jeremy

  • Jeremy Garchow

    December 15, 2005 at 7:46 pm in reply to: Mpg

    Mpeg1 is definitely the most universal. H264 is good for people that have quicktime 7, but they have to have quicktime 7. YOu can check out a program called Flip4Mac that will convert your projects to wmv. That way you could have a wmv and an h264. Best of both OS worlds.

  • Jeremy Garchow

    December 15, 2005 at 7:44 pm in reply to: favorite beverages

    I’m with Bryce on the Green Tea. I usually have Stash Green Tea, or Trader Joe’s Green Tea w/Jasmine.

    Otherwise it’s bottled H20 for me. Too much caffeine makes the baby go blind.

    I’ll usually have a San Pellegrino Aranciata (orange) with lunch or something.

  • Jeremy Garchow

    December 15, 2005 at 5:58 pm in reply to: G5 power on doesn’t always “catch”

    First, the obvious. Are you pressing the button for too long or too short? DO the fans spin when the button goes on and off? Do your APCs have a “warm up” time? It sounds like maybe they aren’t completely powered up when you try and turn on the G5. If you totally unplug a G5 from the wall and try and turn it on, the little light will still come one in the front for a bit and then go off. There’s some power stored in the power supply somewhere even though it’s not receiving power from the wall.

    When you say power supplies, you mean some sort of battery backup APC, and how old is your G5? I found that this will drain the little internal clock battery (also called a PRAM battery) faster than when the unit is plugged into to constant power (with the G5 turned off). You might want to try replacing that battery. I forget the size of it, but it’s something like a 3.6v lithium. OPen your G5 and you should see a little half size battery attached to the mother/logic board. You can pull it out and check the requirements/size. Any Radio Shack should have it.

    Jeremy

Page 2848 of 2910

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy