Forum Replies Created

Page 2847 of 2910
  • Jeremy Garchow

    December 20, 2005 at 12:53 am in reply to: Kona2 Vs Kona LH

    Kona LH also has analog video/audio inputs/outputs. Kona 2 has one analog video output and the rest of the inputs and outputs are digital. If you are working with HDV you will need to somehow convert analog to digital if you planning on mixing different forms of HD. For example, if you are going to have HDV and DVCPro HD in the same project, you are going to need a way to get the HDV into DVCPro HD with the right adapters. AJA makes great little converter boxes that will do just that, convert analog HD to HD/SDI to be used to digitize into the K2/FCP. If you think you are going to need the upconvert feature, I would suggest getting a K2 and use it with your io, and then you will also need a Analog Component HD to HDSDI converter and you will also need an audio analog to digital converter such as an MAudio flying cow. If you absolutely do not need the upconvert feature, than the Kona LH is the way to go for you as it has analog, digital, SD and HD. If there’s something you need to be upconverted, you can always send it out to be converted to the format of your choice.

    Good luck in your decisions.

    Jeremy

  • Jeremy Garchow

    December 20, 2005 at 12:39 am in reply to: Desktop Storage Specs for DVCPRO HD

    [Graeme Nattress] “No need to RAID unless you really want to.”

    ecca2323-

    There’s many advantages to having a RAID. A RAID comes in handy when you can take advantage of redundancy. You can afford to totally lose a drive, keep working, keep all of your data, and sometimes, rebuild the redundant drive in the background while continue to edit. Graeme is right, it is not absolutely essential if you are working in the DVCPro HD codec, but there are advantages. It really depends on your workflow, how much editing you’re doing, if you edit onsite (ie physically move your drives around a lot on airplanes) and how fast your deadlines approach. Buying a more expensive raid will not only gain performance, but it might just buy you piece of mind as well. I know it has me. This means that whatever you choose, you must look for RAID3 or RAID5 capability. the best ones work with a dedicated hardware controller and an HBA (host bus adapter), but some people have luck with SATA Raids. I got in early on the SATA Raid game and got out about 6 months later after I almost lost a job due to lost data. I then went with a prebuilt, preconfigured RAID and have not looked back since. My situation is unique in that I often edit onsite and have to put my drives underneath an airplane and subject them to the likes of the Transportation Security Administration. If you are looking for external fibre channel raids, also look into Huge Systems or Medea products. Both companies have forums on this site.

    Good luck in your decisions and don’t forget to have fun.

    Jeremy

  • Jeremy Garchow

    December 19, 2005 at 10:40 pm in reply to: Capture Presets (Deleting Unnecesary)

    Go to Harddrive->library->application support->Final Cut Pro Support->custom settings and you will notice a carp load of setting in there. You will also notice that some of them have asterisks at the end of their name. Put an asterisk at the end of the ones you want to show up and remove the asterisk for the ones you don’t. OPen FCP and hit control-q and make sure the “show all” box is not checked. FCPs default setups will be there and so should your four setups. Hope this helps. This is as far as I have been willing to go without deleting setups and such as I hate reinstalling FCP.

    Jeremy

    ———–
    G5 Dual 2Ghz <> 4GB RAM <> FCP 5.03 <> Kona 2
    ATTO 42XS <> Huge Systems 4105 Fibre
    OS 10.4.2 <> QT 7.0.3

  • Jeremy Garchow

    December 19, 2005 at 9:31 pm in reply to: Creating a graph

    I have never used this, but it’s an option:

    https://www.lyric.com/fcp-plugins/drawing/drawing.htm

    They have a demo if you want to check it out.

    ———–
    G5 Dual 2Ghz <> 4GB RAM <> FCP 5.03 <> Kona 2
    ATTO 42XS <> Huge Systems 4105 Fibre
    OS 10.4.2 <> QT 7.0.3

  • Jeremy Garchow

    December 19, 2005 at 6:20 pm in reply to: Capture Presets (Deleting Unnecesary)

    What capture hardware do you have?

    ———–
    G5 Dual 2Ghz <> 4GB RAM <> FCP 5.03 <> Kona 2
    ATTO 42XS <> Huge Systems 4105 Fibre
    OS 10.4.2 <> QT 7.0.3

  • Jeremy Garchow

    December 19, 2005 at 5:04 pm in reply to: anyone using Huge Systems FC Raids?

    [bob flood] “I have heard that its better to transcode/convert the HDV to either DVCProHD or Apple Intermediate prior to editing, which is good for the cpu but takes up more drive space.”

    What you have heard is correct about transcoding your footage, get out of HDV and edit in DVCProHD. If you are planning on buying a Kona LH, then you have the correct hardware to digitize HDV analog in right to the DVCProHD codec. When you digitize your HDV to DVCProHD, it won’t take up that much disk space. DVCProHD at 1080i is only something like 15 MB/sec. The 4105 (in my experience) runs between 170-210 MB/sec, and the 4210 is said to clock over 400MB/Sec. Both systems have plenty of overhead of 1080i DVCProHD. It’s uncompressed HD you need to watch out for and becomes the data hog on the 4105. If you can afford the 4210 and don’t need the portability of the 4105, I’d say go for the 4210. If you are looking to save a few bucks and are really planning on working in the DVCProHD codec, than the 4105 will suit your needs.

    Good luck, and most importantly have a great time.

    Jeremy

  • Jeremy Garchow

    December 19, 2005 at 4:53 pm in reply to: BT LH900 for SDX900

    Thanks Chris and Tony. I forgot to mention that we do have the SDI board and are planning to most definitely run SDI to this monitor. I am going to check it out this week. I have looked around it seems to be a nice balance of quality and portability. We will be shooting mostly in 16:9. Also, once we get our Varicam we’ll be set.

    Jeremy

  • Jeremy Garchow

    December 18, 2005 at 9:18 pm in reply to: anyone using Huge Systems FC Raids?

    I have a 4105. It’s been though the ringer (I travel a lot with my 4105) and has held up really well. I run it RAID 3 and I have one drive fail, but a replacement came overnight and I installed it the next day all while I continued editing. The rebuild process happened in the background and I coudn’t get over that I was editing on it while it was happening. This is why I decided to go with Huge, fast drives, fast connection, and a small form factor. The 4105 has really bought me peace of mind. What format are you working with DV, SD, HD? That should help you determine which model to buy. I work in everything except 1080i and it chomps through everything I throw at it. If you are working in 1080i I would suggest the 4210. The 4105 claims to handle it, but your drives will fill up fast and will start to drop frames when it’s 50% full. You’ll need the bigger space and faster throughout of the 4210 if you’re working in 1080i.

    Hope this helps.

    Jeremy

  • Jeremy Garchow

    December 18, 2005 at 9:05 pm in reply to: 1080 i 59.94 to 23.98 Kona 2

    If you can use after effects, you might want to check out this process:

    https://www.rarevision.com/articles/slow_motion.php#

    Hope it helps.

    Jeremy

  • Jeremy Garchow

    December 18, 2005 at 6:36 pm in reply to: PAL framerates!
Page 2847 of 2910

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy