Forum Replies Created

Page 144 of 260
  • Grinner Hester

    February 19, 2009 at 12:36 am in reply to: Avid Market Credentials

    If you wanna freelance, you’ll have to know Avid’s interface. If seeking staff editor gigs, knowing it wil double your chances of landing a sweet gig.
    Outside of those two things, there is no reason to buy an Avid product today, imo. Premiere and FCP grow by leaps and bounds every year as Avid… well, has not in years.
    There are still a lot of Avid suites out there. They’ll need to be filled until they are replaced with whatever. It’s not a knowledge you should pass on at this point.
    but certainly not an investment you’ll ever have to make.

  • Grinner Hester

    February 19, 2009 at 12:33 am in reply to: Problem – Jerky Stills (jpeg) animation

    You have to do it in After Effects.
    Avid’s DVE is still a joke, man. It’s been this way since ’95 when the 3D DVE was released with MCv5.

  • Grinner Hester

    February 19, 2009 at 12:31 am in reply to: Producerr trying to decide…Final Cut Pro or Avid ?

    FCP, hands down.
    Avid is great for media management and is still cool for catering to clients who are Avid-savvy. Sounds like you are editing for yourself though so I’d opt for better quality and more capabilities for a lower price, man.

    ..and wish I had.

  • being what you received was 1280×720, 59.94fps, I’d go with that but of course your gonna have to get that from the horse’s mouth.
    You’ll render lower field first.

  • Grinner Hester

    February 19, 2009 at 12:25 am in reply to: sony dbeta lifespan?

    If you use it often, go ahead and do the swap. If not, see what you can scap it for then just rent as ya need.
    I managed to avoid ever buying one… my main client being a betaSP house. I rented when I needed to but I don’t see ever having to do it again at this point.

  • Grinner Hester

    February 19, 2009 at 12:20 am in reply to: Acceptable practice in editing interviews?

    I don’t mind fade to blacks for pacing, suspense or rythm but if someone was dipping to black during an interview, I think I’d have to turn the channel.

  • Grinner Hester

    February 18, 2009 at 7:53 pm in reply to: How to judge the value of a company?

    It’s not a math question but a question of what you wanna do with your time.
    I personally would have em throw 2 mill my way and I’d retire to make the movie I have always wanted to. Less than that would mean I’d have to work more later and that would defeat the purpose for me.

  • Grinner Hester

    February 18, 2009 at 7:45 pm in reply to: Commissions for employees

    Commmission is ideal for those with only your product to sell. You can’t get better motivation than that.
    In this case, what they provide is a service and if going out and selling these services, common sense would lead them to weed out the middle man (you) sooner or later.
    As an employee, I always liked thank yous in the form od random bonuses. That goes a looong way. Six monthd after the fact a dude will be thankful for an un ask for check.

  • Grinner Hester

    February 18, 2009 at 7:37 pm in reply to: Work during this crisis

    Specialists have always gotten the big bucks. Big bucks are what are not affordable today.
    By that, I have expanded my services so that I can be a turn key facility within myself. For me, this employs me as a shooter, a director, editor, ect. For them, man they get a flat bid up front so there are no budget surprises for them.
    If you are not wearing multiple hats today, I think you are in for quite the struggle to compete.

  • Grinner Hester

    February 18, 2009 at 7:23 pm in reply to: Online Editors Salary.

    average is around 90k/yr in that area. Hard to make a living on that in LA but there are many editors standing in line for it.
    You’ll find the average daily rate for a series editor is $750 as a contractor. The 90k is rounded down for what is mistaken too often as security. I’d do that freelance thing at the day rate if I were you.

Page 144 of 260

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy