Forum Replies Created

Page 143 of 260
  • Grinner Hester

    February 20, 2009 at 8:40 pm in reply to: Online Editors Salary.

    the average here in the midwest is about 75k a year. High is well into six figures… thats staff, not freelance.
    The cost of living being so much more down there, of course the pay has to be more as well. I’d say 90ish is about average in that market. Some make half that, many double that.

  • Grinner Hester

    February 20, 2009 at 7:17 pm in reply to: What am i worth?

    The other side of that is used too.
    “we can’t pay that beciase have always paid this.” has never had anything to do with me or my bottom line. Now, I have the right to pass on a low paying gig but it always struck me as odd when folks threw around wages in the past to haggle mine. I’m like, so hire the dude ya let go, man. My bills have not changed based on his performance.

  • Grinner Hester

    February 20, 2009 at 7:12 pm in reply to: Avid vs Premiere vs FCP, legit question…

    Well if it shows how trands are going, MC is now up to version 3 and in 1994, it was up to version 4.
    lol
    Can’t get much more backwards than that.

  • Grinner Hester

    February 20, 2009 at 2:22 am in reply to: What am i worth?

    No, I hear ya and agree to a point.
    I like to pay people what they are worth but if large companies did it, they’d not be in business at all.
    It comes down to relationship. Small shops are better at this for obvious reasons. They are the ones more apt to pay above scale most of the time.

  • Grinner Hester

    February 20, 2009 at 2:20 am in reply to: Dropping off DVD’s to Potential Clients…

    I had to have a biiig no soliciting sign on the front door when I had my studio. As a one man band, it was a interuption when people walked in a session. When somebody was rude enough to ignore the sign and interupt anyway, I always saw it as, well, rude.
    Your first impression is stating you cannot follow simple instructions. That’ll not land ya a gig.
    While persistance is key, that’s why your good at making receptionists like you on the phone.

  • Grinner Hester

    February 19, 2009 at 3:09 pm in reply to: Work during this crisis

    Multiplying one’s chances of billing when not booked is not a bad thing. Walter is not having to do this today because he’s so busy as a result of years of doing just this. Days off are opportunities to learn a new billing edge and if not utilized as such… all pripes are forfitted when failure happens.
    I’ve been at this for a couple of decades and so far this week I have learned two new NLE apps, a handful of authoring tricks and a boatload of new media practices. First, this is fun for me because I love it. Second, man I can’t afford to get left behind as others grow.
    My pitching revolves around my capabilities. May as well have a big arson to select from.

  • Grinner Hester

    February 19, 2009 at 3:02 pm in reply to: What am i worth?

    Your employer’s job is to pay you as little as possible… this revolves around what you bring to the party vs what you are asking for.
    In general, you are worth 8 bucks an hour until you know what you are worth.

  • Grinner Hester

    February 19, 2009 at 2:59 pm in reply to: Online Editors Salary.

    I know of no place that pays 90k to plop stuff in. Thats what interns are for. Online editors ensure the show is ready for air. That means everything under that umbrella from levels to the master itself. A good offline means nothing if the guy after them just auto assembles it. This is why online editors usually make more than offline editors. More spacificly, this is why good editors make good money… they simply do not seperate the two… they make a show.

    It’s hard to making a living at 90k in LA because of the cost of living, not because of the motivating factior of competition. A single guy could live fine on that but those of us who are the bread-winners of a family have to make our way above average pay somehow. I’d have to take a second job in that market at that income.

  • Grinner Hester

    February 19, 2009 at 2:53 pm in reply to: Avid vs Premiere vs FCP, legit question…

    man, they were on track for it. It was just a matter of adding firewire capabilities to the meridien line just 5 years ago. Their revolving door of execs lead them to the demise they are looking at now.
    I assume all of those dudes had hefty stock in apple. 😉

  • Grinner Hester

    February 19, 2009 at 2:50 pm in reply to: Illustrator: of any worth to editors?

    If you need vectors/splines, you require it. If not, photoshop can handle almost all other graphics needed.
    I use it more for 3D work than anything else.

Page 143 of 260

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy