Forum Replies Created

Page 145 of 260
  • Grinner Hester

    February 18, 2009 at 7:20 pm in reply to: Editor’s Resume

    Short and simple. The last thing a busy employer wants to do is thumb through multiple pages of hooha. Just list your employment history, what ya did, how long you were there and some references. Your reel is the gig getter/killer. Your resume is just for human resources. Never have I hired someone based on a resume.

  • Grinner Hester

    February 18, 2009 at 7:14 pm in reply to: Avid vs Premiere vs FCP, legit question…

    Avid still offers the best media management od any NLE.
    OUtside of that, man the name is all your sellin’. There are still trickeling intities that think Avid is a superior product or an Avid will make a difference in theirs. I’m faster on an Avid buit that’s it. It’s DVE is primative and today Avids are buggy.
    FCP grpws by leaps and bounds every year where Avid does not.
    Adobe grows every year where Avid does not.
    Unless you have a client asking for Avid or you are a freelancer who needs to be marketable… there is no reason to be on an Avid product today.

  • Grinner Hester

    February 10, 2009 at 6:07 am in reply to: Avid vs. Final Cut Pro

    I know of nobody over there on an Avid product longer than me.
    I know of no bigger Avid fan than me back in the day either.
    You are wrong about stability. New Avid users have no problem with the buggyness as thats the way they found the big A. Old Avid users miss the stability Avids had back when they were “Avids”.
    If you wrote the checks for these products you really could care less as you’d care quite a bit. It’s price point vs capabilities (actual capabilities not claimed capabilities) that are the decising factors in these purchases… not the temporary telent on the tools.

    By our government’s standards, Avid is in line for a bail out.

    assuming failure is the qualification for such a thing.

  • Grinner Hester

    February 10, 2009 at 6:00 am in reply to: Capturing a full VHS tape

    I just hit capture and come back in two hours in this case.

  • Grinner Hester

    February 10, 2009 at 5:57 am in reply to: Challenging Question…

    color correct in the Avid?

  • Grinner Hester

    February 10, 2009 at 5:53 am in reply to: actual business models

    Dream-chasin’ aint no business model, man. Don’t try to make it one.
    If you read this months creative cow magazine, you’ll see an article on this very topic and it revolves around tenacity.
    You’ll either have an agent shop your concept, treatment or pilot for you ar, most likely, you’ll create and pitch on your own. This means cold-calling galore and unless you just have the gift of gab, there is no avoiding NATPE, LATV Festival and show-shopping festivals of the like. These are conventions for pitchers and catchers. Not for the weak of heart but a full on adrenaline rush if you look at it the right way.
    You’ll get use to folks passing on your passion but it will never feel good. You’ll discard the old 10 nos for every yes knowing it’s more like 100 to 1 so you’ll pick up the phone again quickly.

    There are no templates on how to get to the person you need to speak to. Online directories are your buddy and frm there, you just have to be in a great freakin mood when you call. Do not catch somebody on the phone once you are burned out and fussy. Take a break and hit it again fresh…. happliy.

    Outside of that all I can say is protect your work. I have learned the hard way that a no does not always mean they did not like it. If they see a way to utilize it without you in the loop, brother, they will.

  • Grinner Hester

    February 10, 2009 at 5:44 am in reply to: Current Pricing

    The standard is based by the hour or day. You’ll simply budget by multiplying how long it otta take by your rate.
    One can’t really ask “how much does a car cost?” It depends on everything from performance to options to MPG. Too broad for a global answer.
    My world is the fast food of video. My clients like to have a one day or less turn around so her, I can tell ya a 2 minute corporate video is about a grand for post-prodction. If I shoot it too, I like to keep that same wage per day so the math is easy for me. I look at a grand a day, multiply it by how long it’ll cost and that’s my bid. The rounding down always comes in the revisions so I don’t do that in the math.

  • Grinner Hester

    February 10, 2009 at 5:37 am in reply to: Lossless-edit of .MOV-files

    virtual dub loves quick times as much as avi files.
    is it not eatin it?
    If not I think it’s the codec in the QT.

  • Grinner Hester

    February 9, 2009 at 12:28 am in reply to: Great Editing

    While I have always loved enhanced chopping like in Snatch, by far the best edits are those never detected.
    at least in a story where people are suppose to be following the story.

  • Grinner Hester

    February 9, 2009 at 12:26 am in reply to: Capturing a full VHS tape

    I guess there is one good thing about Avid.

Page 145 of 260

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy