Forum Replies Created

Page 1141 of 1228
  • David Roth weiss

    June 13, 2006 at 8:49 pm in reply to: Firing a client – long post

    [Ron Lindeboom] “Don’t rollover for every threat either…”

    Absolutely!!!

    I had one of those “clients from Hell” once who:

    a) Had no talent whatsoever
    b} Was a horrible person
    c) Owed me lots of money

    After giving him fair warning that I would pull the plug on post-production if he didn’t pay me within one week, I was forced to do so. At that point the client’s lawyer called my lawyer and threatened to sue me if I didn’t complete the entire project without pay. My lawyer actually advised me to do the work, suggesting just as I mentioned earlier, that I would most likely prevail at trial, but, it might easily cost me $40K to defend.

    It took me all of about 30-seconds to make my decision. I told my lawyer to send them a very clear and unambiguous message that I was prepared to go the distance no matter what it cost, and that I would never work with them again under any circumstances. They bitched and moaned at first, and then they settled, paying me just 60-cents on the dollar. But, I never did another minute of work for them…

    DRW

  • Brian,

    Do whatever sounds best. Blending of boom and lavalier is quite common, as Lavaliers are typically incapable of picking up the “nat. sound” that often sells a real location. If there is any phase cancellation you can deal with that.

    DRW

  • David Roth weiss

    June 13, 2006 at 7:36 pm in reply to: Firing a client – long post

    [Ron Lindeboom] “I am 55 and have yet to see this hold water in a court of law”

    Ron,

    As you say, the odds of losing at trial would be negligable, however, being right and winning seldom negates the cost of mounting the defense, which could easily cost $40,000 or more.

    My point is, most of posts I see here about these issues are about who is right and and who is wrong — and that should only be the starting point. I doubt anyone here would like to pay his or her lawyer 40k for being able to say they were right. The moral is, unless you want to buy your lawyer a 5-star vacation to Europe, do whatever you can to avoid litigation.

    DRW

  • David Roth weiss

    June 13, 2006 at 6:31 pm in reply to: Final Cut Studio 5.1 Upgrade

    Ben,

    You needn’t uninstall 5.0.4 before doing the 5.1 upgrade — this upgrade was done very well, and it goes in easy without issues.

    DRW

  • As Thax said, don’t combine them permanently, but you can certainly center pan both channels so they will play out to your monitors combined instead of channle-1 left, and channel-2 right.

  • David Roth weiss

    June 12, 2006 at 6:44 am in reply to: best file format for video on DSL?

    John,

    Since the release of Flash 8, Flash is now an ideal format for streaming video. Its used by most of the major studios to stream their trailers now. Read up on it, its all over the Internet. Very small files sizes, very good video quality. Nope, FCP won’t do it right out of the box, you need eithet Macromedia Flash 8 or the On2 Technologies’ VP6 standalone encoder.

    To output WMV from FCP you need Flip4mac Studio Pro for $99. Google “WMV streaming” for the instructions, its very simple.

    DRW

  • David Roth weiss

    June 12, 2006 at 6:03 am in reply to: Bad Cinema Display?

    Did you move it, lay it down, or lean it against anything? The green line is usually caused by something like that, and it sometimes goes away, sometimes not…

  • David Roth weiss

    June 12, 2006 at 1:52 am in reply to: HD capture RAID?
  • David Roth weiss

    June 11, 2006 at 10:56 pm in reply to: best file format for video on DSL?

    You and Ed are both a bit off on this… 39mb QT files will not “stream” from your server unless properly prepared for streaming, and they certainly will not just play out over a normal DSL connection, as there is not enough bandwidth. And, no one will sit around and wait for your 39mb file to download. You must either learn to stream QT (not very easy), or switch to Flash or WMV and learn to stream them (both very easy).

    DRW

  • David Roth weiss

    June 8, 2006 at 5:28 pm in reply to: Converting tiff files for use in FCP 4.5

    Frank,

    See my post to your original message…

Page 1141 of 1228

We use anonymous cookies to give you the best experience we can.
Our Privacy policy | GDPR Policy